CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 11-30-2006, 04:51 PM   #1
Sam Cannons

Profile:
A friend of mine suffered from a 'Spontaneous Pneumothorax' the other day. The Dr told her she would be out of training for quite a while. It has since re-inlfated some what but not completely. Has any one had any experience with this kind of incident ?

Old 11-30-2006, 06:17 PM   #2
Robert Thompson

Profile:
As a paramedic and an RN, I've taken care of quite a few people with spontaneous pneumos. Usually they aren't too serious, unless the person has an underlying lung disease and has a recurrence.

Are you asking to find out what it is, or how it is treated?
Old 12-01-2006, 08:54 PM   #3
Sam Cannons

Profile:
Just seeing if any one knew much about it. Her Dr's have convinced her she will never train in BJJ again. I thought it was might have been an overreaction.
Old 12-02-2006, 06:10 AM   #4
Robert Thompson

Profile:
Sorry for the delay in responding. I'm not sure how her Dr. is able to make that kind of prognosis; it certainly sounds like a BIG overreaction. It may be a few weeks of limited activity before resuming previous levels of exertion, but unless there is some other lung disorder (which would probably limit her exercise capacity to begin with), she shouldn't have too much to worry about. Recurrencies along with lung disease are usually when the long term complications occur.

I could go on and on about the whole process and I'm happy to answer any question you/she has, but a better place to go for information would be this site: http://www.blebdisease.com/

It is an information and forum site for people with spontaneous pneumos, both primary and secondary, so she should find others going through the same thing.

I wish her the best of luck, and tell her to never take as dismal of an outlook as her Dr. has.

Old 12-11-2006, 07:17 PM   #5
Kenneth R Davis

Profile:
A rare condition, catamenial pneumothoracic, has been described in women who have endometriosis implanted on the lung. The pneumothorac occurs monthly with the women's period. It is treatable but is more complicated than a simple spontaneous pneumo
Old 12-11-2006, 09:39 PM   #6
Becca Borawski

Profile:
There's a lady who trains at the same CrossFit I do who had a spontaneous pneumothorax as a teenager -- she's been super active in the two decades since and does CF regularly with absolutely no problems in that department.