CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 07-21-2006, 05:03 AM   #11
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
All of the above works...in 7 days. Acutally I use Zicam myself. I think it works well when the symptoms were never going to turn into a cold anyways, but what the heck.
Old 07-21-2006, 05:41 AM   #12
Kevin King

Profile:
Sleep. Lots of sleep. If you are like most Americans, you don't sleep nearly enough.

-- Kevin
Old 07-21-2006, 09:25 AM   #13
Jeremy Jones

Profile:
Going back to Tequilla (as I always seem to). . .

I did hear of a cure involving:

1 tablespoon honey
2 shots of tequilla
1 super hot shower
1 warm bed

Eat the honey, take the first shot, jump in the hot shower (as hot as you can stand), get out and dry off in the steamy bathroom (to keep warm), take the second shot, and go to bed (with lots of blankets).

Supposedly, the main premise is that this will raise your body temp and kill what ever is bugging you.

Personally, this is what I call a Sunday well spent.
Old 07-24-2006, 10:27 AM   #14
Bryan Edge

Profile:
I'll toss in my 2 cents. My wife, an RN, generally says that if you can make it through a day WITHOUT cold medication, that is best -- and then just use cold medication (like Nyquill) at night to help you rest (i.e. get as much sleep as you can).

Cold symptoms are your body's natural reaction to an "alien" invasion -- taking medication may make you feel better, but it may prolong your cold as well (hence the above recommendation).

I've tried running or similar high cardio, "sweat it out" type workouts -- may or may not have helped, but it never seemed to hurt. :-)

I've tried Airborne before, but never noticed any dramatic improvement. Zinc, if I recall, has been shown to help if taken at the earliest sign of cold-symptoms. After that, however, I don't think it does anything to really help. Zicam, if I remember, is really little more than a vastly overpriced zinc supplement.

Kevin Trudeau is a greedy con-man, or just a woefully self-deluded idiot. Don't waste money on his book! :-)

Get well soon. :-)
Old 07-24-2006, 02:48 PM   #15
Paul Theodorescu

Profile:
Check out "BioStim"

Old 07-25-2006, 04:30 PM   #16
Eva Twardokens

Profile:
day quil niquil day quil niquil day quil niquil day quil niquilday quil niquil day quil niquilday quil niquil day quil niquilday quil niquil day quil niquilday quil niquil day quil niquilday quil niquil day quil niquilday quil niquil day quil niquilday quil niquil day quil niquilday quil niquil day quil niquilday quil niquil day quil niquilday quil niquil day quil niquilday quil niquil day quil niquilday quil niquil day quil niquilday quil niquil day quil niquilday quil niquil day quil niquilday quil niquil day quil niquilday quil niquil day quil niquil
Old 07-25-2006, 05:32 PM   #17
Robert Thompson

Profile:
Guinness...

(from the following site: http://www.unhooked.com/sep/alchem.htm)

Not only do drinkers appear to have lower cholesterol levels and have less coronary heart disease, but they also get fewer colds. That was the conclusion of the final research project carried out by the now-defunct Common Cold Unit at Salisbury, England. Not every common cold virus we catch leads to a cold. Between four and ten viruses infect us every year, but only half of these end up as bad colds--for the rest we either have existing antibodies against the virus, or we can shake it off easily. Nor can you stop a cold with the popular cure of hot whisky and lemon; all this does is to make the misery a bit more bearable.

However it works its magic, alcohol certainly seems to reward many of its moderate users: those who drink two units of alcohol a day catch half the number of colds that non-drinkers suffer. This does not apply to smokers though; smoking cancels out the protection against colds which comes with drinking.

But after reading that, I guess you would have to drink it before you caught the cold. Oh well, something to drink for next time...

Sláinte!!

Old 07-25-2006, 06:12 PM   #18
Kevin McKay

Profile:
I like garlic chili honey lemon tea. Kinda tasts like sweet and sour soup. Makes me sweat like a pig and my wife complains about the smell but really seems help.
Old 07-25-2006, 06:18 PM   #19
Sam Michaud

Profile:
Amen Eva - Nyquil on the nightstand makes my aching body tingle (for the sleep that it will grant me). I have to be within 20 feet of my bed when I take it; it knocks me right out and I have some of the best dreams (read: hallucinations) when I am dosed.

Brad - run, don't walk to the drug store to get a pack of Dayquil caps and Nyquil liquid (love that taste). You may not get better much quicker but you feel human again sooner.

Sam
Old 07-25-2006, 11:11 PM   #20
Eva Twardokens

Profile:
by the way Brad, sorry you are feeling crappy. Hopefully, by now you are on the upswing.