CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 06-14-2013, 10:18 AM   #1
Mike Cho

Profile:
Garage Gym vs CF Box

I have plans to build a garage gym because my lack of time to go to a box 4-5 times a week. I can probably make it 3x per week. I'm excited to build my garage gym but I think I will miss working out with others. I also don't want to invest $$ into a garage gym and then pay another $200/month to join a box.

For those who worked out at a box and then switched to a garage gym, what has your experience been like. Do you miss working out with others? Do you feel like you made greater progress in your fitness than if you stayed at your box?
Old 06-14-2013, 11:52 AM   #2
Sean Seale

Profile:
Re: Garage Gym vs CF Box

Hey Mike,

I started CrossFit a year ago. I had been looking it up online for a while, and right after I moved to Vancouver I decided to start. Took 10 foundation classes at CrossFit Vancouver and then decided to build by own gym at home, mainly because of the cost of the membership (Plus my wife works out with me so it potentially saves us two memberships.. that's 500$ a month!).

I definitely miss working out with other people. It's the only downside really.. I have some friends who come over but it doesn't happen that much.

If you're focused and dedicated, I don't see working out by yourself as a problem. Find a program (Main site, Invictus, OPS, whatever you want) and STICK TO IT. Then it can be really beneficial to take some oly classes on the side.. Maybe once or twice a month (classes will be your best option if you're on a budget) to begin with, and take it from there.
Old 06-14-2013, 12:01 PM   #3
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:

This isn't exactly answering your question, but it might be helpful.

I do both.

I workout at a box 2-3 times/week and in my little garage gym another 1-2 times/week.

I don't think I can keep myself motivated & energized enough to do all 4-5 WODs per week at home. For anything more than 1-2 WODs per week, I need others around me to push me.

Plus, the box has more space, more gear, better airflow, is away from the distractions of home, etc.... And having to do the box WODs keeps me from cherry-picking.

It's really a perfect model for me. The 1-2 WODs at home allows me to do some of my own programming to fill in for / make up for any gaps that I feel I'm getting in the box WODs.

- Mark
Old 06-14-2013, 03:21 PM   #4
Mike Cho

Profile:

Thanks for the replies. I think what I'm leaning towards doing is mainly strength training and oly lifts along with light metcons from my garage, and do heavier metcons at a local box 2-3 times per week.
Old 06-14-2013, 03:38 PM   #5
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Sounds like a good plan.

I have a friend, a couple with dialed out home gyms but they still like their gyms. A place to push themselves or social interactions. I'm more of the latter, whenever I'm not really training or between sets. Too much and it distracts me.
Old 06-14-2013, 08:18 PM   #6
Snir Golan

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark E. Wallace View Post
This isn't exactly answering your question, but it might be helpful.

I do both.

I workout at a box 2-3 times/week and in my little garage gym another 1-2 times/week.

I don't think I can keep myself motivated & energized enough to do all 4-5 WODs per week at home. For anything more than 1-2 WODs per week, I need others around me to push me.

Plus, the box has more space, more gear, better airflow, is away from the distractions of home, etc.... And having to do the box WODs keeps me from cherry-picking.

It's really a perfect model for me. The 1-2 WODs at home allows me to do some of my own programming to fill in for / make up for any gaps that I feel I'm getting in the box WODs.

- Mark
thats exactly what i do. at home i do mostly lifting and technique work with a short metcon and at the box i do the box WODs. as much as i would like it to not be true, i admit that i never push myself at home as i do when i am at the box.
Old 06-14-2013, 08:36 PM   #7
Jason A Smith

Profile:

Mike,

I know you asked so here is the scenario I have. I trained almost exclusively by myself for three years as I had no readily accessible location to train at. I have a pretty pimped out home garage gym. Couldn't find a rhythm training for about 6 months. Spent 3 months getting myself back into it a really good local affiliate and was ready to go back to the garage for now. I still love the competitive and social aspect and am looking for ways to get to into the gym and also have been having people come and throw down on the garage at times. I can and do regularly push myself very hard on my own and at the affiliate. It is more dependent on me than my surroundings.

Likely the fact that i prefer an individualized program helps. If you can find a blog with some interent training partners who also post (Outlaw, OPT, CFFB, Main site, Invictus etc) that helps with some of the competitiveness of it. You will want to beat other's numbers and times and they will want to beat yours.

Good luck with the decision.
Old 06-15-2013, 12:04 PM   #8
Matthew Vesey

Profile:

I have always worked out of my own garage. I wanted to try out an affiliate but got to the point where I had 30-$35000 invested into my home gym and could not justify training at an Affiliate. Over the last few months (Up until my injury) I have been training at a National level Weightlifting gym 5 days a week (mornings) and training at my home gym in the afternoon 4-6 days a week (depending on how I felt). I can tell you that there is definitely a performance increase when working out with others as the competitive vibe will help with the intensity more-so than training solo.

I have been trying to find an Affiliate to train at that will train me specifically for competitions. I find a lot of the Generic Affiliate Workouts in my area would not be conducive to my progress (It seems to be the same for other affiliates that I look at world wide).

I can say that you will do fine training solo in your home gym. Depending on your personality, you might benefit from the competitive edge that an Affiliate would offer. I find it is one of those things that you might have to trial with for some amount of time.
Age:24, Height: 5'10, Weight: 180, 5km Row: 17:15.3, 500m Row:1:23.6, BS: 440, DL:540, Press: 205:My Log(WFS)
Old 06-17-2013, 12:08 AM   #9
Chris Jones

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Vesey View Post
got to the point where I had 30-$35000 invested into my home gym and could not justify training at an Affiliate.
35 grand? EPIC man
Old 06-17-2013, 12:33 AM   #10
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Hopefully, somewhere in that 35 grand was a spa or the salary for a weekly masseuse if not both.