CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Digital Coaching
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Coaching Post pictures or movies for critique and coaching

Old 02-19-2012, 08:11 PM   #31
Eric Montgomery

Profile:
Re: New Deadlift PR at 525

Sure, yours is better in the same sense that going 120mph in a 65 zone is probably safer than going 130mph. They're both bad and will probably result in injury if repeated over a prolonged period of time.
Old 02-19-2012, 08:34 PM   #32
Jason Peacock

Profile:

I'd give Graham almost as much crap for that sorry DL as I did you

He had horrible hitching and then drops it. The only improvement over yours was (as far as I could tell from the angle) that he maintained a better back position. But he's still doing a horrible deadlift.

He could also benefit from training with proper technique. Just like you, all he did was show that he could lift a heavy weight, which is respectable, but is not sustainable.
Old 02-19-2012, 10:40 PM   #33
Jared Ashley

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan Glickman View Post
If I were to compete at powerlifting that is one thing, But Im not and have no interest in doing so
One more reason to back off the heavy weight and train safely. Risking injury to win a competition is one thing. Doing it for no reason makes no sense.

You're strong. No doubt about it. Stronger than me, and stronger than most on this board, including a lot of people bigger than you. But if you keep lifting like that, you're not going to be for long.
Old 02-19-2012, 11:08 PM   #34
Eric Shuty

Profile:

Quote:
just so we are clear...does everyone have the same things to say about this deadlift, which is worse because of hitching

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxsVj4mW1gc
Yep, that one sucks too. It's NOT A DEADLIFT. Let me frame my responses another way.....

Rippetoe and Simmons have been the biggest powerlifting gurus of CrossFit, correct? I can without a doubt tell you that they would call both these "deadlifts completely incorrect if you showed them the videos. Would you argue with them and make excuses like you have on this thread? Since you love youtube so much why don't you watch one of the many Rippetoe deadlift instructional videos on youtube. Do any of those videos demonstrate or teach anything like what you did? After that, look up one of the Westside training deadlift videos. Watch and see if any of their deadlifts look anything like the two videos you posted.

I should be getting paid for this....
Old 02-20-2012, 07:00 AM   #35
Alex Beasley

Profile:

That's a lot of weight, but I'm in agreement with Eric and the others. I especially echo his comment of "if you're not competing, then don't risk injury for the weight." If you're not competing, there's no way you can rationalise risking injury for going heavy. Of course, you wanna lift big, we all do, but if the only ("only," he says) pay-off for getting a big DL is to have done it, as opposed to competing with it, the potential injuries you could get from it just aren't worth it.

I realise it sucks when a form check thread gets negative feedback, even when it's constructive criticism, but we're calling a spade a spade. Think of it in extremes; would you be happy to deadlift 700lbs once if it meant that you were, for months if not years, hobbling about and in constant back pain? I assume not. So just don't risk it, man.

(Not to say that I think you do it all the time, but your responses have insinuated that nothing is wrong with form going to hell, implying you do it regularly)
Old 02-20-2012, 01:15 PM   #36
Collin Thompson

Profile:

Just lie and say yes you understand for the sake of ending all these repetitious comments and we can move on to actually fixing things.
Old 02-20-2012, 04:58 PM   #37
Nik Nichols

Profile:

Quote:
if your form is flawless , then it isnt a max effort lift period. Go watch any top deadlifters and their form will show a somewhat rounded back. You practice good form so when its time to max out, your form can give somewhat.
I have read and reread this thread and this is what I think.

First you never tried to set your back at all with good form. Look at the video again at second 31 you have'nt even budged the weight and you have already humped you back. You did'nt even set you back and fight to keep a straight back.

I agree with the controll the weight to the ground thing too. That is just my pref though. I have alot more trouble picking the weight up then putting it down.
Old 02-20-2012, 05:29 PM   #38
Paul Victor French

Profile:

Look at his other videos, the snatch one has the same poor setup.
Old 02-22-2012, 11:11 AM   #39
Gary Sorrentino

Profile:

Make sure your set up right before you even think of moving the bar. If you set up in a bad position, you'll stay in that bad position. I think you have some core weakness that you need to work on to prevent your back from rounding so much too. I'd say go lighter for a while without a belt and do accessory core exercises. Unless you're a power lifter going under maximal loads consistently throughout the week, I don't feel there's really a need for a belt. Especially if you're working to strengthen your core. One last thing... make sure as soon as you lift off the ground you don't let your hips shoot up. Yours came up slightly and threw you way out in front of the bar. 90% of that weight was on your back erectors instead of posterior chain. If you can pull 525 with poor technique I could only imagine what you could pull if you work on it
Old 02-22-2012, 02:50 PM   #40
Collin Thompson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Sorrentino View Post
Unless you're a power lifter going under maximal loads consistently throughout the week, I don't feel there's really a need for a belt. Especially if you're working to strengthen your core.
Could you elaborate on how a belt doesn't help to strengthen the core?