CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 11-17-2011, 01:45 PM   #1
Paul Mirek

Profile:
Intro to CrossFit to Whole9 '603 PTP'

Ahh..it's good to be back into CrossFit. So I'm not a total newbie to CrossFit. Three years ago, I was doing many things CrossFit ranging from the mainsite WODs to modified 'Pack' WODs at BrandX Martial Arts. Since then, I've fallen off the CrossFit boat, but after floundering in the seas, I am looking to get back into physical shape.

Over the past 12 weeks, I have been doing the Intro to CrossFit program as published in the CrossFit Journal. I am at Week 10 and have been growing in my ability to deadlift, push-press, and squat while keeping my passion for running intact with 400m work. When Week 12 ends, I am looking into a new program that will keep me motivated. After much research, I have narrowed things down to 603 PTP published by Whole9 and Melissa Urban. It appears to be a logical jump since much of the work is centered around deadlifts and push-presses.

I'd like to know who has tried this 603 PTP program and to hear testimonials from them. Anyone willing to share? Is there anything I need to be aware of prior to starting this program?

Thanks for those who chime into this thread.

You must indicate whether your links are Work and Family Safe (WFS)
Old 11-18-2011, 01:50 PM   #2
Melissa Urban

Profile:
Re: Intro to CrossFit to Whole9 '603 PTP'

Paul,

We've got 384 comments (including some testimonials) on our PTP post. It's been highly successful for those who put the effort in, but be sure not to try to combine the program with another exercise methodology. We designed the 5-week cycle to function as stand-alone programming.

http://whole9life.com/2010/01/603-ptp-2/ (WFS)

Best of luck to you.
Melissa Hartwig (formerly Urban)
Whole9
Old 11-19-2011, 03:24 PM   #3
Matt Wood

Profile:

Paul,

As someone who's completed the 603 PTP twice now, and currently working on my third iteration, I can definitely say it's a fantastic way to get back in shape, and get stronger, after having taken time off from working out due to whatever reason. The last time I ran through the PTP was after dealing with a sciatic nerve injury. I had gone through a couple of weeks of physical therapy, in order to get myself feeling better, but I wanted to get back into the gym.

As soon as I got the green light from my therapist I immediately contacted Dallas and Melissa to see what they would recommend. Dallas recommended I do the PTP program, not only because he and Melissa are the brains behind it, but because as a physical therapist he said it would help strengthen my core, which is what I really needed.

At the end of the programming, I saw an increase in my deadlift of about 40 pounds to give me a new PR, as well as an increase in my press. Now, in my third iteration of the program, I'm already feeling stronger and better. This time I started it just to break things up in my gym time. I've been doing CrossFit-type WODs for the last few years now, and I recommend the program to anyone I know who's looking for a way to get stronger or into better shape. I truly believe Dallas and Melissa really hit the nail right on the head with this program, and can't speak highly enough of it.

Best of luck to you during the 5 weeks!

Matt
Old 11-21-2011, 03:27 PM   #4
Paul Mirek

Profile:

Thank you Melissa for reminding me to look at the comments & testimonials on your website. I will read through those carefully. Your feedback was helpful to stick with that 5-week plan for the duration. Usually when I start something, I see it through and will give my own testimonial after my stint.

Matt, your feedback was also great to read. I hope this 3rd time around for you continues to produce great results.
Old 12-19-2011, 04:49 PM   #5
Paul Mirek

Profile:

I am 15 days into the fun with the 603PTP program, and I just wanted to let you know I am seeing the fruit of the labor, and I am excited to see what more is to come.

I know it’s silly, but my workouts can be seen at http://mrmirek.blogspot.com (WFS). I’ve finally worked out a lot of the kinks & misunderstandings & misreadings. Now, I’m doing things as correctly as possible. Perhaps I should now record myself or post pictures to see if my form is weak or strong.
Old 12-23-2011, 05:25 AM   #6
Matt Wood

Profile:

Paul,

I read through your blog, and after figuring out the 60% / 90% deal, it looks like you're doing quite well with it. I'm curious to see how the "Long Division" day treats you since that was one I didn't really like the first two times I went through the programming. Of course, now that I got my form better for OHS, it was a lot easier this time. Not that I breezed through it, but I did find it to be a lot less frustrating. I should be finishing up this iteration just after the new year. I had to take a couple weeks off due to travel and being sick as a dog, but I'll be on Day 30 just after Christmas.

Keep pushing and pulling, and you'll get through it with no problems.

Best of luck!

Matt
Old 01-17-2012, 07:11 AM   #7
Paul Mirek

Profile:

Thank you Matt & Melissa for your feedback. This is THE week! The week I end the 603PTP program and test my 1RM in the deadlift and shoulder press. As exciting as the end is, I also have this feeling of having no where to go after it.

Melissa, you have said to others to do "lower intensity movement, skill work, maybe some gymnastics practice," but without seeing an actual "plan," I would struggle with thinking of what to do specifically. Do you know of any CrossFit box that has done something like this after a PTP program that I could go to and follow?

Matt, I'd also be interested in what you did following the 603PTP. I guess I am looking for those with experience to give me an idea of what I can do.

Starting in February, I am going to do some boxing training (a Christmas gift from my wife), but until then, I need a little guidance. For those willing to share, thanks!

Keep your eyes out for the BIG NUMBERS starting tomorrow with the SHOULDER PRESS 1RM workout!
Old 01-18-2012, 10:16 AM   #8
Paul Mirek

Profile:

Today and tomorrow are my last days with this round of 603PTP. It’s been a fun ride starting 4 years ago with CrossFit Main Site WODs, so I thought I’d give a picture of that ride.

*Quick note: I took a break from most weight-based workout programs between 2009-2011 to focus on running.

Shoulder Press 1RM PR History:
6/1/2008–Using CrossFit–120#
12/29/2008–Using CrossFit–125#
1/18/2012–Using 603PTP–135#

Yay for 603PTP’s program for increasing strength. I’ll just have to come back and try it again! It’s been fun.

Any recommendations on what to do during a transition between 603PTP and 30 days of boxing training (thanks to my wife for the Christmas present)? These recommendations can be CrossFit-based or not.

Thanks for anyone's feedback in advance.
Old 01-20-2012, 03:40 PM   #9
Paul Mirek

Profile:

Alright, my stint with this round of 603PTP is over. I am looking forward to doing it again with weighted pull-ups and front squats next time. Like I did with the Shoulder Press, I thought I’d give a picture of the journey I have been on.

*Quick note from last post still applies here.

Deadlift 1RM PR History:
12/26/2007–Pre CrossFit–255#
1/29/2008–Using CrossFit–265#
5/14/2008-Using CrossFit-275#
7/28/2008-Using CrossFit-295#
1/20/2012–Using 603PTP–315#

603PTP’s program did it again!

Any recommendations on what to do during a transition between 603PTP and 30 days of boxing training (thanks to my wife for the Christmas present)? These recommendations can be CrossFit-based or not.

Thanks for anyone's feedback in advance.
Old 01-26-2012, 06:16 AM   #10
Paul Mirek

Profile:

I've officially found a post-603PTP workout idea. It last only a week and is the bridge between building strength and my one-month boxing training gift. I have decided to use the PTP formula to begin practicing & building comfort with two exercises: the weighted pull-up & the front squat. I am then pairing this practice with a few CrossFit Main Site WODs as my "cash-out." So far, so good!

Of course, weighted pull-ups at this point mean being able to do 5 strict body-weight pull-ups first. If you want to see how this is progressing for the week, feel free to follow the link below to my blog (WFS).

One other thing I've decided to do is run a "marathon" for the next 5 days. Of course, it is a virtual marathon and the way to run it is to recruit cheerleaders to push me to the finish line. To learn more, there's a link on my blog for that too.

Thanks to all the readers of this posting. I think this is my last one until I "start" again in March. Perhaps I'll give an update about the boxing training though. But since it is not CrossFit specific, maybe I'll hold off.