CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 01-25-2012, 10:30 AM   #1
Peyton Aubin

Profile:
Help with vegetables

I've recently switched my diet of the average 17 yr old to a much more nutritious diet. It's not the full paleo diet but it is no doubt much healthier than my past eating habits. My problem is that I simply don't enjoy vegetables that much. I can eat them and do but I probably only eat about half as many vegetables as I should on a good day. Do you guys have any tips or recipes that I can try to hopefully help me enjoy vegetables more?
Old 01-25-2012, 10:42 AM   #2
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:
Re: Help with vegetables

Most important: don't overcook them. Turning them to mush will ruin the best vegetables in the world.

So raw is good. Experiment with salad combinations, remembering that there's no ironclad rule that a salad must have greens.

Next best choice is stir-fried with meat, giving you a fast, yummy, one-pot meal. Possible seasonings include garlic, ginger, sesame oil, maybe a splash of soy sauce or sake. Throw a minced chili pepper in the mix for extra pizzazz. I especially like the sweet/sour combination of pineapple and bell peppers, but YMMV. If you prefer more European flavors, try tossing them in hot olive oil with rosemary and garlic.

(Always buy the pineapple that's packed in juice, not syrup.)

Root vegetables are good cooked slowly with a roast or stew. Add them when the meat is mostly done, or they'll probably end up overcooked. Other vegetables may not be sturdy enough for this treatment, though.

There are many many different variations on tomato sauce, using many different vegetable combinations, from eggplant to green beans.

Hope these help.

Katherine
Old 01-25-2012, 10:47 AM   #3
Adam Fisk

Profile:

I think it really comes down to enjoying their hearty-ness. Sure there are great recipes out there but I think an important goal to set is to try to enjoy them for what they are. For some that goal may never be reached, which brings me to my next point.

EVOO (extra virgin olive oil) salt and pepper.

Preheat oven to 350

Get a baking pan and throw some tin-foil on it. Then get a larger than cereal sized bowl and throw in your veggies of desire. (personal favorites:broccoli, cauliflow,asparagus, brussel sprouts)

Take about 1tbps of EVOO and spread it in the bowl. Then start mixing the veggies around the oil (hands work great for this) and add some salt and pepper for spice. Next spread the veggies out on the baking pan and roast until lightly browned and crispy.

Tastes awesome!
Old 01-25-2012, 11:12 AM   #4
David Fletcher

Profile:

Here's one of my favorites, at least during winter months. It's cheap and the flavor is easily varied.

- Get some greens. Collard, kale, turnip, etc.
- Chop an onion and throw in in a medium heat pan with olive oil
- Tear the greens up into bite size pieces, discard stems
- After the onion has cooked 3-5 minutes, toss the greens in the pan
- Wait a few minutes until they cook down significantly
- (optional) clear a space in the middle of the pan and put some garlic down for 30 seconds
- Add a cup or two of chicken broth, bring to boil
- (optional) add red pepper flakes
- Let simmer for 10 minutes or so while you prepare other food, let most of the broth evaporate
- Eat

If you have leftover meat, add a lot more broth and some rosemary or other herbs, some potatoes, and baby, you got stew going!
Old 01-25-2012, 12:15 PM   #5
Joey Shishineh

Profile:

Bacon Wrapped Sweet Potato Pucks. (WFS). If you don't have the CF Journal, you basically just steam sweet potatoes (wrap them in foil and bake for 1hr). Then wrap them in bacon and fry them. Very tasty.
Old 01-25-2012, 12:32 PM   #6
Spencer James

Profile:

Roasting almost any vegetable with garlic and olive oil practically turns them into candy. You can also mix in things like onions and leeks or some broth to give them more flavor. I don't follow recipes much but typically I find that 425 degrees in the oven and at least 20-30 minutes for most veggies works pretty well. Just take them out before they start burning and you'll be good to go.
Old 01-25-2012, 12:53 PM   #7
Daniel A Smith

Profile:

Hey,
I agree with the post above raw is best for you. However I do not like most vegetables especially raw. One thing that I have been somewhat successful with sticking with is juicing. I know there are several schools of thought on the benefits but for me it works great because I can intake a huge amount of the veggies quickly. It takes a bit of experimenting but you can actually get it to taste pretty good.
Old 01-25-2012, 12:59 PM   #8
Peyton Aubin

Profile:

Wow guys thanks a lot, I really can't wait to get home and try all your suggestions. I'll be sure to let you all know what I try and how it goes.

Old 01-26-2012, 07:08 AM   #9
Greg Pack

Profile:

Well, I remember being young and not enjoying my vegetables

When I was 19, I got a job as a firefighter. Most of my co-workers were old enough to be my father. We ate meals together and the attitude was "we cooked it, but you don't have to eat it, you can starve". So I guess there was some peer pressure for me to eat at least a token amount of vegetables that weren't normally consumed around my house. It turns out after a few tries some of them actually started to taste pretty good. My point is- don't give up on them after a single try. Enjoying most of them ( I still hate cucumbers) will come to you, but it may take a few tries.

As mentioned, technique plays a big part. Boiled anything is about the least appetizing way to prepare something. However, grilling certain foods like squash and asparagus, tremendously improves their flavor. Probably a google serach will turn up lots of ides.