CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 11-11-2006, 01:33 PM   #1
James Lewis

Profile:
What sources to use for good Oly lifting coaching? Newbie to CF, and a bit frustrated.

Many of the WODs contain what are very technical lifts...cleans, DLs, jerks etc. Those are not easy for LIFTERS to master, much less the "all-around" people that CF is trying to build. It takes years to get competetent at these Oly lifts...how does someone like me who has never done any Oly lifting go about learning how do to them well enough to get by in CF WODs (without huring myself)and hopefully get a little better?

Watching the videos in the exercise section is OK, but they don't give much explanation on the HOW...they show a good finished product. Need some sources for the how-to.

Thanks!
Old 11-11-2006, 01:51 PM   #2
James Lewis

Profile:
Sorry, need to add a few more thoughts after reading some archive material.

1. I don't own a video camera.
2. I don't have time/money to invest in a weight lifting coach.

So with these limitations, what is the best way to go about trying to learn these lifts on my own? Thanks
Old 11-11-2006, 02:50 PM   #3
Becca Borawski

Profile:
Do you have the time/money to invest in going to one of Coach Burgener's O-lifting seminars? They are well worth it - you'll learn so much about everything you're asking about.
Old 11-11-2006, 03:09 PM   #4
James Lewis

Profile:
Becca:

Thanks for your reply.

The cost of the Seminar, coupled with the costs of getting there (I live in FL) would be quite expensive. I can see how beneficial something like that would be, but I don't think the benefits I would receive would be enough to convince my wife to let me spend that kind of $$ (more than the cost of my yearly gym membership!)

Any self-coaching suggestions? Thanks.
Old 11-11-2006, 09:43 PM   #5
Adam Morden

Profile:
Hi James,

I'm not sure about Florida, but lots of universities have weightlifting facilities and clubs to match. These could potentially be a great resource and inexspensive to boot.

Cheers,
Adam
Old 11-12-2006, 03:47 AM   #6
Derek Simonds

Profile:
James I am no expert but I am getting along with the research I have done. I don't know where you are in FL (your bio says Fort Worth TX) but if you are close to Orlando or Daytona I would be willing to get together with you to work out some time. Let me know.

Derek
Old 11-12-2006, 06:51 AM   #7
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:
It takes years to get competetent at these Oly lifts...

Not if you get a hold of a good coach.
Old 11-12-2006, 07:53 AM   #8
James Lewis

Profile:
Derek:

You are right, I'm currently in Fort Worth TX, moving in a week to West Palm Beach FL (Jupiter to be exact). Once I get there and get established, if you'd like to meet up for a weekend of showing me the ropes, I would be glad to get together. I'll be in touch!
Old 11-12-2006, 08:02 AM   #9
James Lewis

Profile:
Linc:

I have read a lot of your archived posts so I respect your knowledge and experience. That being said, I'm going to have to respectfully disagree with you to a degree.

First of all, Oly lifting is not what Crossfit is all about. It is a part of Crossfit, not the whole. As a new guy, I'm having trouble enough assimilating the WOD and making sure I'm doing it right, and logging my workouts etc etc etc. It's a lot to keep up with! Now try to add a finesse skill like Oly lifting on top of that...well, not everyone has that kind of time.

One of the benefits of Crossfit, to me, is the reduced amount of time it takes to get a hard workout in. If you throw a session or two a week with an Oly lifting coach...so I can master 20% of the Crossfit workout regimine...I am just not going to get out of that what I put into it (in terms of return on investment of time and $$. I have limited amounts of both!) :-)

That being said, I'd like to find a source that can help me get the basics of some of these Oly lifts down, so I can perform them safely and incorporate them into my WODs...Others may want to perfect their form and can discuss the fine points of the lifts on the boards...I have different aims and goals. I want to be able to do the lifts, but I am unable to get to California for a two-day seminar.

And I still maintain that even with a good coach, it takes a long time to get good at these Oly lifts. I don't think Coach B's kids got that good at the lifts overnight!

Thanks for your input.

Old 11-12-2006, 08:03 AM   #10
James Lewis

Profile:
Adam:

A great source which I will have to look into! Great idea.