CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 11-08-2006, 07:00 PM   #1
Ryan Sears

Profile:
Ok, here's the deal. I work out in a gym on campus. It's free (I mean i paying for it with tution). Anyway, I'm new to Oly lifts and no one at my gym does any of the lifts. I was wondering if anyone had any tips on the C&J and the Snatch. Should i buy a video? Is there a progression to follow? Do i just go out and do it and hope i don't hurt myself? Right now I only do the hang clean and the one handed snatch. I feel pretty comfortable with these lifts at moderate wieght.
Old 11-08-2006, 07:37 PM   #2
Chris Fitzgerald

Profile:
I would strongly suggest you find a coach or someone with a background in O lifting. There is so much technique involved with the lifts. I would hate for you to cut short a life of fitness because of some hasty descision to just try and hope for the best. Does your college have a football team? There is a good chance the football team trains with Oly lifts. They might be able to help. If not try checking for a Crossfit affiliate in your area, and also try the Crossfit journal. Hope this helps.
Old 11-09-2006, 06:06 AM   #3
David Vessey

Profile:
A related question to this one:

I've more or less taught myself most of the O lifts based on information I've found on this site or links from it.
What should I watch out for in terms of limitations on how far I go or how much weight I'm lifting? What are some clear indications either during a lift workout that mean stop or slow down, or after a workout that mean I should ease up?
Old 11-09-2006, 09:34 PM   #4
Chris Fitzgerald

Profile:
Listen to your body. Pay attention to pain versus soreness, especially in joints rather than muscle. Never substitute form for weight. Just my humble opinion. I must always watch my form because of prior injury.
Old 11-09-2006, 09:54 PM   #5
David Aguasca

Profile:
hey, ryan:

i'm no oly expert...but killing yourself via C&J, albeit a noble way to go, still sucks. don't die. find an oly coach, if you feel like you might.
Old 11-10-2006, 07:06 AM   #6
Bill Ripley

Profile:
While OLY is undoubtedly 75% technique as opposed to strength, it is not rocket science. Finding a coach is certainly the best way to go, but for someone who is athletic and has good body awareness the lifts can be learned without one. Mike B's website, Danny John's website and DVDs and Tommy Kono's book are all excellent resources.

JMO
Old 11-10-2006, 09:39 AM   #7
Elliot Royce

Profile:
my 2cents having been injured trying to teach myself is to find someone who at least has some experience with them. Being athletic can actually work against you because you substitute muscle for form. The lifts themselves don't really require much muscle, at least until the weights go up. Some of the best form I've seen -- not that I'm an expert -- come from 5'3" women who are very flexible and have the technique down.

I agree completely that if you start to encounter soreness when you're starting, you're doing something wrong. You just shouldn't be lifting enough weight to get that sore so your body is telling you that your technique is off.
Old 11-14-2006, 11:58 AM   #8
Aushion Chatman

Profile:
Ryan, to put in mine on the question...you can teach yourself with video, and the info found on this site.

Start with PVC or broomstick...if you can record yourself and post it in the digital coaching area...some knowledgeable people will look at your vid, give you feedback, and then you can progress to weight...

this way, you still get the coaching, and still get to add it to your reportoire.

Aush
Old 11-14-2006, 07:28 PM   #9
Ross Hunt

Profile:
It's kinda hurt to hurt yourself oly lifting. If the bar's directly overhead, it's under control. If it's out of control, it isn't directly overhead, and it's easy to get out of the way.

Instruction is a very, very good thing, for other reasons.

The lifts themselves don't really require much muscle :g:
Old 11-16-2006, 07:25 PM   #10
Josh Briggs

Profile:
I would gain some KEEN awareness of your lordosis.

I managed to hurt myself (bulged disk or some such in L4/L5 & associated sciatic pain) doing max effort C&J's in August... still not better. Just got back to squating BW & DLing 2/3 BW recently.

If you are young, strong and fit, it's easy for your body to compensate for small deficiencies in form... UP TO A POINT.

Then you hurt yourself.

I would second all of the suggestions for coaching, and also recommend Mark Rippetoe's book, Starting Strenght. He is very precise with his form recommendations.