CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 05-31-2008, 07:48 AM   #1
Keegan Riotto

Profile:
Double Unders? Just jumping rope?

I have just started doing CrossFit. I watch the video tutorials. Some of them do not have any explanation. Are double unders just jumping rope? And why are they called double unders? Am I jumping the rope twice before my feet touch the ground? Can anyone answer this easy question for me?
Old 05-31-2008, 07:57 AM   #2
Steven Anderson

Profile:
Re: Double Unders? Just jumping rope?

Double unders are when the rope passes twice underneath your feet on a single jump. Start off trying to get one, then two and so on. You can see that today's WOD calls for 50 consecutive DU's then 40, etc. all the way down to 10. DU's are a great workout and builds great speed and coordination.
Old 05-31-2008, 08:06 AM   #3
Keegan Riotto

Profile:

Thanks Steven. I figured it might just be that. Gotta go buy a rope now. Do you know of any good online sporting goods stores? I can't find a 20lb medicine ball. My gym doesn't have any of this stuff, if they do, it's just wimpy light medicine balls.
Old 05-31-2008, 09:53 AM   #4
Robert Grande

Profile:

Hi everyone,

I'm tacking this onto an existing thread, but I think it is related. If I can't do a "double under", can I just double the number of "single-unders" to approximate the same work rate/exercise load? If this question has been answered in previous discussions, please forgive a "newbie".

Thanks,
Bob
Old 05-31-2008, 10:10 AM   #5
Christopher G. Woods

Profile:

The substitution ratio for single unders to double unders is 3:1.

Last edited by Christopher G. Woods; 05-31-2008 at 10:10 AM.. Reason: spelling
Old 05-31-2008, 11:26 AM   #6
Júlíus Magnússon

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Grande View Post
Hi everyone,

I'm tacking this onto an existing thread, but I think it is related. If I can't do a "double under", can I just double the number of "single-unders" to approximate the same work rate/exercise load? If this question has been answered in previous discussions, please forgive a "newbie".

Thanks,
Bob
Read the FAQ.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The FAQ
Do tuck jumps. Multiple single-unders in no way compensate for the exertion required for double-unders. Stand with your feet slightly inside the width of your shoulders. Bend your knees and lower your body down 8-12 inches. Explode into the air and bring your knees up to your chest in a tucked position. Upon landing, your feet should be in a strong, dorsi flexed or "toes up" position. Use your whole foot to generate power, not just your toes! Maintain good posture in your upper body. Keep your chest and head up. Don't let your shoulders lean out beyond your knees. This can stress your lower back. Explode off the ground as quickly as possible and repeat for the required number of repetitions.
Old 05-31-2008, 11:52 AM   #7
Victor Putz

Profile:

Quote:
Multiple single-unders in no way compensate for the exertion required for double-unders.
This is ABSOLUTELY true. I have 5 minutes of jumping at the end of my workout (2 for single, both feet (which I can do), 2 for single, alternating feet (good for about 20 bounces and then I tangle, working on this) and 1 for double-unders (working on it, can do 3 singles/1 double for a while... and then tangle). Everything feels pretty good until that last minute and I almost immediately begin sucking wind hard. I feel worse within 30 seconds of starting double-unders than I do after 4 minutes of single-jumping.

...which means it must be good to do!
Old 05-31-2008, 12:15 PM   #8
Christopher G. Woods

Profile:

You know, I really have to disagree with the FAQ on this one. I think Tuck Jumps are a poor substitution for Double Unders, because they lack the coordination and timing component. As far as exertion goes, I honestly don't jump that much higher on my Double Unders than I do for my singles; I just turn the rope faster.
Old 05-31-2008, 01:13 PM   #9
James Forshaw

Profile:

I have to stick up for tuck jumps there, they are truly horrible exertion-wise. Even if they take a lot less skill to execute.
Old 05-31-2008, 03:33 PM   #10
Steven Anderson

Profile:

Absolutely, tuck jumps are brutal. 50 DU's are way easier than 50 tuck jumps though yes, they are less technical.

Keegan, as far as buying a rope, go cheap. I picked one up from a Dollar-type store years ago and I still have it and it's ridiculously fast. Avoid the expensive ropes, they're usually slower and heavier, you don't need all that. If you're looking for a medicine ball then check rosstraining.com. (w/f/s) He has a tutorial on how to build your own. The guy's an animal and very innovative when it comes to building and/or utilizing cheap and effective equipment.