CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 11-29-2006, 02:43 PM   #1
Michael McElroy

Profile:
my grip strength is very weak. i can barely hold 225lb on deadlift after just several reps. I was wondering which strength gripper would be a good one to start with. I saw that they start at 60lb but i don't know what that is equivalent to. I was thinking the trainer (100lb) but like i said don't know what thats equivalent to so any help would be great!
Old 11-29-2006, 03:09 PM   #2
Wes Peart

Profile:
I would suggest starting on the trainer or #1. Even if you can't close it, you should be able to do negatives on it and close it in short order. I would suggest joining gripboard.com (W&F safe) if you are really serious about it. There is more info there about training the grip than you will ever be able to read :D
Old 11-29-2006, 05:10 PM   #3
Peter Queen

Profile:
Number 1 is definately a good starting point regardless of you current strength level. I have a #1 and it is a great tool for improving my overall grip in addition to other grip training work. I have noticed marketable improvements in my grip when I do things like knees-to-elbows for example. A strong grip gives you a better perfomance in so many other areas. I have a number #2 on my Christmas list for the wife to see.:msn-wink:
Old 11-29-2006, 05:29 PM   #4
Roger Smith

Profile:
If you can spend the cash, get both. If one is too easy, it will be great for warmups. And after you max on the harder one, you can finish with it....

Grippers will help with deadlift grip, but they arent' exactly the same. Deaslift is more supporting grip strength.To help you deadlift grip, do timed holds with the bar. Put it on a rack, if you have, so you only need to lift it a few inches. Just lift and hold as long as you can.

Old 11-29-2006, 05:43 PM   #5
Chris Cline

Profile:
The trainer is good enough for most people, especially if you want to improve overall grip strength. #1 is good as well. I agree with Roger that you should go ahead and get both if you have the money. There's no need to go beyond #1 when starting out. That can come much later.
Old 11-29-2006, 08:33 PM   #6
David Wood

Profile:

Just in case it's not obvious, the "#1" and "Trainer" being discussed here are specific grip training devices sold by ironmind.com (family and work safe), as discussed in another current thread. See that one for more information.

Ironmind is a heck of a company, sells very good stuff, and really makes a specialty of grip training. Their grippers go up to #4, which something like only 3 or 4 people in the world can close. #1 is pretty tough for most folks, even those who work out.

Old 11-29-2006, 09:03 PM   #7
Eric Allen Kerr

Profile:
I've got a Sport and a Trainer. I've found that I could barely close the Trainer with my left had, so I picked up the Sport to work my left hand.

Out of curiosity, I just tested it out (this is after a gymnastics session) and I can close the Trainer 6 times with with left hand and 7 times with my right hand (actually an improvement for my left hand over my last personnel best).

My grip has always been on the weak side (one of the reasons that I picked up the grippers), so if you are in good shape and have been lifting a lot, then a #1 is probably a good place to start. If not, then try the trainer.
Old 11-30-2006, 05:04 AM   #8
Roger Smith

Profile:
Eric..that is pretty close on the left/right. The way the spring twists makes it slightly easier for the right hand. (that's on all but a few grippers that I'm not sure you can still get)
Old 11-30-2006, 05:37 AM   #9
Sam Lepore

Profile:
Thanks Guys. Just bought the number 1 on ironmind.com

We we will see how it goes. :uhoh:
Old 11-30-2006, 05:52 AM   #10
Sean Harrison

Profile:
I ought both the #1 and #2 3 years ao...and can close the number 1 about 8or 10 times,but the #2 is still beyond me.
That said..I do think one should buy the trainer ( which is a level easier than the #1) also as I was surprised when I opened my #1 and could only do it once.
Also, the grippers are good for trainig crushing grip...if you want to have an easier time with deadlift, maybe try farmer's walks and hanging from the chin-up bar for time.
}