CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 01-05-2007, 01:24 PM   #1
Daniel Fannin

Profile:
Hello!

I've been mulling over the idea of devising some telephone-pole runs, sandbag events and tire smashing for my squadron PT. I've got a few questions for people that have experience with this. I also searched "telephone pole" and "log PT," so if this is a repeat I apologize!

For the telephone pole stuff, we won't ever be able to use an actual telephone pole, so I'm devising variable weight (appx 45-100lb) poles to use instead. Does anyone have any lessons learned in using this kind of stuff? I'm especially curious about safety tips. What did it take for your commanders/bosses to allow that?

One more - how long does the usual military-issue sandbag last during a PT session, assuming it's going to get thrown around quite a bit?

Thanks for your time!
Old 01-05-2007, 06:32 PM   #2
Travis Loest

Profile:
Daniel, depending on how well you make the sandbag and if you double bag it it will last quite a while. The trick is not to fill it all the way up. The telephone pole workouts are great except that telephone poles are coated in creasote(sp?). It's a nasty carcinogenic that you really shouldn't be touching with bare skin or anything less than a leather apron. PT's aren't enough protection, you're sweating, and your pores are open that stuff gets on your shirt then soaks into you, bad juju. Make sure you don't use them. Sorry for the rant, but that stuff is dangerous.
Old 01-06-2007, 08:00 PM   #3
Daniel Fannin

Profile:
No worries, Travis. That's why I asked. Thanks for the info! :-)
Old 01-07-2007, 08:47 AM   #4
Kenneth Urakawa

Profile:
Now I'm bummed. I just found a guy selling 12' lengths of telephone poles (for $10!), and was going to pick some up today or tomorrow for some fun. Now I'll have to figure out if I want to give people cancer?!?

What about if you were to wrap the pole in some sort of (cheap) vinyl/pleather-type thing? Should be, what, 4 yards or so of fabric and a boatload of screws/staples?
Old 01-07-2007, 10:53 AM   #5
Daniel Fannin

Profile:
Kenneth,

Nah, I don't know that I'd even mess with it...could you imagine what your clients would do when they found out telephone poles are carcinogenic? Not to mention if it's hot outside, the 'bad juju' is probably a little more likely to be runny, or if it's wrapped up, steamy, depending on how fluid-like it is. Just some thoughts.

On the other hand, I was thinking about getting 10-12 ft sections of two-four inch PVC pipe with caps on the end and filling them with water to make a variable weight "telephone pole." Same concept, different materials.
Old 01-07-2007, 03:38 PM   #6
Travis Loest

Profile:
Kenneth,
I think that'd be OK for yourself, but if you're using it as a business aplication I'd recommend staying away from it. You may want to look into the childrens playground people. I really wouldn't know how to contact them though.
Old 01-08-2007, 10:43 AM   #7
Brendan C. Cook

Profile:
Don't know if there's a local sawmill nearby, but if there is, you might be able to buy cut-to-length logs, probably either with or without the bark. You might also try any developers nearby who might need to clear some land. I bet they'd be willing to help you out, or put you in contact with their loggers...just a thought!
Old 01-08-2007, 12:32 PM   #8
Bob Long

Profile:
I made up several 8 foot and 6 foot length of large-diameter PVC pipe, filled them with concrete, and capped the ends. They are indestructible and clean. I previiously had a short telephone pole I got for free, but I once got a splinter from it and the infection was nasty so I dumped it. Stay away from t-poles.
Old 01-08-2007, 11:19 PM   #9
Dave Henry

Profile:
when I've used telephone poles on pt I've found it helps if the platoon is sized we had section sized poles so we split the platoon into 3 groups just based on hieght.... that way the tall guys arent stuck with the brunt of the load.... i've also done this with 4 ft section that we carried individually... that way you cant take a free ride.
Saftey:we treated this as combat PT so we were wearing combats and combat gloves... no nasty splinters for us.
logs are right in the canadian army fitness manual. no need to ask!
Old 01-09-2007, 09:36 AM   #10
Daniel Fannin

Profile:
Sweet! Thanks for the inputs! :-)