CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Digital Coaching
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Coaching Post pictures or movies for critique and coaching

Old 12-20-2012, 11:28 AM   #1
Dustin Wintczak

Profile:
Snatch pointers

So I wasn't going to post this in here but since it's up on YouTube I mine as well. Here's the last attempt during lifting yesterday at snatching 205. Quick background...started Oly lifting early spring this year..no coach etc. Anyway here's what I see:

Snatch Fail 205

Link is WFS

My weight is back on my heels up past my knees until about mid-thigh, however I feel like I'm transfering my weight forward just a smidge to early? Not sure but I feel like I could be getting the bar up into my hips or get extended more before moving off my heels?

On this particular attempt I got sloppy, like I was pulling too hard (my feet actually come off the floor, which I don't normally do).

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Since my goal is to get 100kg by end of March next year.
Old 12-20-2012, 12:29 PM   #2
Joshua Foladare

Profile:
Re: Snatch pointers

It looked like you stayed over the bar well and had a good popped. To me, it looked like you didn't really punch up on the bar and you landed on your toes.

It looks like the catch and receive portion is where the problem was, more so to me then the pull. Just my 2 cents.
Old 12-20-2012, 06:56 PM   #3
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:

Right foot jumped back further than the left and you didn't take the bar with you. So the bar was out in front on the right side.
Old 12-20-2012, 06:59 PM   #4
Dustin Wintczak

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincoln Brigham View Post
Right foot jumped back further than the left and you didn't take the bar with you. So the bar was out in front on the right side.
So could that contribute to the improper positioning on the catch on my left side? Meaning my left elbow just kind of buckled (first time I've had the happen) suddenly.
Old 12-20-2012, 07:14 PM   #5
Michael Zoda

Profile:

Looks like you didn't really pull back on the bar. You got a nice pop, and got decent extension, but as soon as you finish that second pull, you need to PULL BACK ON THAT BAR to get it into position. 90% of the reps I fail infront of me snatching are due to the fact that I don't PULL THE BAR BACK. If you don't do this, you usually end up having to jump forward (which you didn't do), stand up forward, or catch the bar on your toes, all of which make the lift difficult and at maximum attempts, not savable.

What I like to think about is as soon as I get that pop and finish the second pull, I think about trying to pull (or row) that bar into my face. You will never actually hit your face because you are coming under the bar, but that though usually allows me to pull the bar BACK and into a stable overhead position in order to catch it. Remember, as soon as you extend you want to focus on pulling back on the bar. Check this page out:

http://jonnorth.blogspot.de/2012/03/...ump-drill.html (wfs)
Old 12-21-2012, 10:51 AM   #6
Dustin Wintczak

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Zoda View Post
Looks like you didn't really pull back on the bar. You got a nice pop, and got decent extension, but as soon as you finish that second pull, you need to PULL BACK ON THAT BAR to get it into position. 90% of the reps I fail infront of me snatching are due to the fact that I don't PULL THE BAR BACK. If you don't do this, you usually end up having to jump forward (which you didn't do), stand up forward, or catch the bar on your toes, all of which make the lift difficult and at maximum attempts, not savable.

What I like to think about is as soon as I get that pop and finish the second pull, I think about trying to pull (or row) that bar into my face. You will never actually hit your face because you are coming under the bar, but that though usually allows me to pull the bar BACK and into a stable overhead position in order to catch it. Remember, as soon as you extend you want to focus on pulling back on the bar. Check this page out:

http://jonnorth.blogspot.de/2012/03/...ump-drill.html (wfs)
Thanks for the cue, I'll give it a try next time. Like you mentioned I don't really hop forward, however I do end up catching the bar on my toes sometimes. Oh and thanks for the link to Jon's blog, I'll check it out and repost when I get 100kg .