CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 08-24-2011, 10:33 AM   #1
Ty A Ketlinski

Profile:
Shoulder Arthritis

My doctor tells me (after an MRI) that I have a "slap tear" and arthritis in my shoulder. The slap tear bothers me on some exercises, but I can live with that pain. I am not interested in surgery at this time.

The arthritis is more bothersome, however. It generally flares up after each workout. My doctor gave me some high strength anti-inflammatories that work well.

Being new to this whole old-age and arthritis thing, here is my question: other than taking meds, is there anything I can do to get rid of arthritis? Thanks

40/6'0"/227
Old 08-24-2011, 11:02 AM   #2
Brian Strump

Profile:
Re: Shoulder Arthritis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ty A Ketlinski View Post
My doctor tells me (after an MRI) that I have a "slap tear" and arthritis in my shoulder. The slap tear bothers me on some exercises, but I can live with that pain. I am not interested in surgery at this time.

The arthritis is more bothersome, however. It generally flares up after each workout. My doctor gave me some high strength anti-inflammatories that work well.

Being new to this whole old-age and arthritis thing, here is my question: other than taking meds, is there anything I can do to get rid of arthritis? Thanks

40/6'0"/227

Nothing sure of surgery would get rid of the arthritis. What you can do is start working on some shoulder exercises to create a more stable joint. If mobility is an issue, start there. If not, things like farmers walk, deadlifts, reverse shrugs, TGU and clapping push ups are some advanced exercises for shoulder stability. Push up holds, or tabbing your chest in that positions are simpler ones, as is the quadraped
(http://www.fitsugar.com/Ab-Exercise-...Video-14541928)
Vid is wfs, and she's easy on the eyes too!