CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Digital Coaching
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Coaching Post pictures or movies for critique and coaching

Old 04-29-2011, 06:53 AM   #1
Mac Oneill

Profile:
BACK SQUAT PR depth check

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hds2F...eature=related WFS

Can you not embed videos on this forum or something?
Old 04-29-2011, 07:01 AM   #2
Eric Montgomery

Profile:
Re: BACK SQUAT PR depth check

Looks like you're right at parallel or maybe 1" high. Focus on shoving your knees out and maybe bring your feet an inch or two closer together.

Are you squatting high bar or low bar? Your back/hip angles looked like low bar, but it looks like the bar is fairly high on your back. If you're squatting high bar, you generally want to go pretty much ATG. If you're squatting low bar, getting a few inches lower will load your hamstrings some more and allow you a better stretch/reflex bounce out of the bottom. Either way, it looks like you've got more weight in you even when you do get to full depth.
Old 04-29-2011, 07:05 AM   #3
Mac Oneill

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery View Post
Looks like you're right at parallel or maybe 1" high. Focus on shoving your knees out and maybe bring your feet an inch or two closer together.

Are you squatting high bar or low bar? Your back/hip angles looked like low bar, but it looks like the bar is fairly high on your back. If you're squatting high bar, you generally want to go pretty much ATG. If you're squatting low bar, getting a few inches lower will load your hamstrings some more and allow you a better stretch/reflex bounce out of the bottom. Either way, it looks like you've got more weight in you even when you do get to full depth.
Thanks for the quick response. It's low bar. I'm pretty sure I can push a little more than that. I wasn't feeling very fresh yesterday and I rolled my ankle playing basketball the day before. The wider stance seemed to take some pressure off my ankle. I will try again next week and shoot for more depth and weight. You think the bar is too high on my back for low bar?
Old 04-29-2011, 07:11 AM   #4
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Yeah the bar looks a little high, can't get a real good look at it though. Check out some of the diagrams from SS and make sure you've got it right.

Also you want to look down for a LBBS--looking up kills your hip drive. Head should be angled so your eyes are in vicinity of that star on the wall about 6 inches above the floor. And make sure you don't have your wrists bent back supporting the weight of the bar--that's a lot of stress on your wrists and elbows. Heel of hand should be pushing the bar forward into your back, not pushing it up.
Old 04-29-2011, 07:16 AM   #5
Mac Oneill

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery View Post
Yeah the bar looks a little high, can't get a real good look at it though. Check out some of the diagrams from SS and make sure you've got it right.

Also you want to look down for a LBBS--looking up kills your hip drive. Head should be angled so your eyes are in vicinity of that star on the wall about 6 inches above the floor. And make sure you don't have your wrists bent back supporting the weight of the bar--that's a lot of stress on your wrists and elbows. Heel of hand should be pushing the bar forward into your back, not pushing it up.
Thanks, I double check my LBBS bar position. I noticed my head popped up towards the ceiling when I came up also, that wasn't intentional. I'll have to fix that. I don't think my wrists were supporting the weight, but I did notice that some elbow pain started to flair up afterwords. Maybe I'm doing it without noticing. Thanks for the tips.
Old 04-29-2011, 08:38 AM   #6
Colin McLafferty

Profile:

That bag of..bananas on the ceiling must very interesting. During the descent you look straight ahead and at the bottom of the squat you actually look up. That's the biggest error I can see. I think you got this weight even though the depth wasn't great, 335 looked easy for you.

Just focus on keeping your head in a neutral position. It would also probably help not to take so many steps back out of the rack but if you have to you have to. I couldn't tell from the setup of the rack itself but you'd be better off with fewer steps. Also, it looks like your thumbs are wrapped around the bar. Have them on top of the bar--the proprioreceptive feedback from your hands with a thumb wrapped around the bar may be contributing to your urge to look ahead / up. My form always was messed up when I kept my thumb around the bar.
Old 04-29-2011, 12:05 PM   #7
Robert Callahan

Profile:

Stance looks a hair wide, and I agree with above that the bar is in a high bar position on your back.

What do your sets of 5 look like?
Old 04-29-2011, 01:49 PM   #8
Mac Oneill

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin McLafferty View Post
That bag of..bananas on the ceiling must very interesting. During the descent you look straight ahead and at the bottom of the squat you actually look up. That's the biggest error I can see. I think you got this weight even though the depth wasn't great, 335 looked easy for you.

Just focus on keeping your head in a neutral position. It would also probably help not to take so many steps back out of the rack but if you have to you have to. I couldn't tell from the setup of the rack itself but you'd be better off with fewer steps. Also, it looks like your thumbs are wrapped around the bar. Have them on top of the bar--the proprioreceptive feedback from your hands with a thumb wrapped around the bar may be contributing to your urge to look ahead / up. My form always was messed up when I kept my thumb around the bar.
Thanks for the feedback. I'll it with my thumbs on top next time.
Old 04-29-2011, 01:52 PM   #9
Mac Oneill

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Callahan View Post
Stance looks a hair wide, and I agree with above that the bar is in a high bar position on your back.

What do your sets of 5 look like?
Honestly the bar isnt on my traps its below them. You might not be able to see that beacuse the camera is set so low. My sets of 5 are solid and I definately get more depth. I hit an easy 3x5@295# two days before this lift, and I think that may have made me burn out quickly for these max attempts.
Old 04-29-2011, 03:46 PM   #10
Jason Halm

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac Oneill View Post
Honestly the bar isnt on my traps its below them. You might not be able to see that beacuse the camera is set so low. My sets of 5 are solid and I definately get more depth. I hit an easy 3x5@295# two days before this lift, and I think that may have made me burn out quickly for these max attempts.
I have nothing to add here except.....yorkville? My cousins live there. Odd.