CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Testimonials
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Testimonials CrossFit's successes / your achievements

Old 09-10-2010, 06:14 AM   #1
Jacob Hurd

Profile:
3 weeks in and setting new bests.

A little about me.
I'm turning 30 in 2 weeks, and back in march after seeing a few pictures of myself at a party I decided I needed to fix my life. I dont have kids yet but when they come I wanted to be able to play with them and live to see them grow old. I was up to 330lb's and I'm only 5'10 my self image showed me that I wasn't in to bad of shape, but those pictures finally drove it home. So I went out and bought a mt. bike and started riding 20 miles on saturdays, and walking here or there on our treadmill at home. I Cut sodas out of my diet completely and started counting the calories. I then joined a gym and added some weight lifting and 1 or 2 spin classes a week. Between the beginning of march and the beginning of august I dropped from 330 lbs to 280. My weight then flat lined. I tried adding in more workouts and making sure I was eating enough calories and the weight just wouldn't budge.

So I decided for my 30th birthday I would get my self a personal trainer. But there was no way in hell I was going to pay the prices they want. I couldn't afford it or justify it. So I went onto a police forum and started doing some asking around, I should say I'm trying to get in shape to change my careers and join the military or to become a police officer, and found crossfit.

So on Aug. 24th I started at the local box. I don't remember what the first WOD was but the second day's scaled was 15 minutes of walking lunges. The burn and following days of muscle pain got me hooked, and told me this thing will work. Even though I had concerns that it wouldn't focus enough on the stuff I needed for the personal agility tests the military and police use.

My weight has stayed at 277 for the past 3 weeks with out a budge, even though I started zone this week. But my muscles are larger than ever before and even more defined than when I was in high school ( I weighed 210 ). So I can only imagine if I could shed all this fat what I would look like. I tell my wife that I'm in the best shape of my life minus all the fat.

Today's WOD for me (scaled down) was 800m run, 75 wall balls 800m, 75 wallballs, 800m's. I finished in 31:30 When I cam into cross fit I was running a 1.5 mile in 16-17 minutes, and when I finished I couldnt even dream about doing anything else. My first 800 was a 4:40. so multiply that by 3 gives you a 14 minutes 1.5 mile. Thats a drop of 3 minutes in 3 weeks. My angie this week was 29 minutes, with jumping pull ups and using the ghd machine for my pushups. 3 weeks ago there was no way I would have made it through that. So now I know that my PAT's wont be an issue.

So it works and gets results fast, hopefully it will convince the belly fat to pack up and leave next.
Old 09-10-2010, 06:17 AM   #2
Jacob Hurd

Profile:
Re: 3 weeks in and setting new bests.

I should also mention I go monday thru friday. Rest days are saturday and sunday. I dont have any pains from such a hard schedule. In fact my back feels better than it's felt in years and my tendonitis in my shoulder is slowly becoming less painful.
Old 09-10-2010, 08:37 AM   #3
Scott Donchak

Profile:

Keep it up!

Those are some great results.

Not that you are, but don't worry about the number on the scale. Your weight isn't important, your body compisition is. That is, fat/muscle proportions.

If you want to see numbers verifying that you're losing fat, use one of the many methods of testing body fat % periodically.
Old 09-10-2010, 08:42 AM   #4
Jacob Hurd

Profile:

I actually do have a question of where I can get body fat % measured. My scale has one built in but I know they are not accurate besides a general rule of thumb.

Thats why I specifically put drop the fat though. I could care less if I end up being 240 lbs with 10% body fat, but it's That percentage thats driving me nuts right now.
Old 09-14-2010, 04:24 AM   #5
Jacob Hurd

Profile:

Completed 200m of burpees with the burpees being connected by broad jumps. it took me 26:14 but 3 weeks a go I would never have been able to do those 200 meters. Also dropped 4 lbs brining me to 273. This is the lightest I have been since about 2005 or earlier. Next goal a 5k on thanksgiving.
Old 09-16-2010, 11:34 AM   #6
Rich Wilson

Profile:

That's amazing.

I had a similar experience this morning. I'm only 4 weeks in but I have sooooo much more endurance for my tennis games. Never saw that one coming.
Old 09-16-2010, 07:01 PM   #7
David Meverden

Profile:

Great stuff, Jacob!

Keep up the hard work and be sure to keep us posted on your progress. Make sure you're keeping a workout log so that in a few months we call all see just how much great progress you've been making!
Old 09-17-2010, 04:38 AM   #8
Jacob Hurd

Profile:

work out log?

Yeah the cardio results from crossfit are mind blowing for sure.

Our box is having a rowing competition, row 100k meters in 1 month. weds. I rowed 10k meters in 52:40 today 10k meters was 48:10 so a 4 minute drop I then finished out an houw with 12515 meters. Nice improvement in 2 days. But jt yesterday sucked. With all this upper body work my muscles were very tired by the end of a very scaled version took me 11 minutes and change.

The good news is at the end of my second week of zone I have dropped 5 lbs just this week. I know it's not muscle because my strength has even gone up a little.

Another exciting thing for me is the local sheriff's BI just called to set up and interview for the Assisted patrol position I applied to over a month ago. This is my first step towards becoming a LEO hopefully.

Last edited by Jacob Hurd : 09-17-2010 at 04:41 AM.
Old 09-20-2010, 05:24 AM   #9
Jacob Hurd

Profile:

Sat down and tested my 1 minute bent knee situps yesterday. I have added 10 to my count in the past 4 weeks with out specifically training for them. Now I just need t ostrenghtn my hip flexors so I can do more.
Old 09-28-2010, 05:10 AM   #10
Jacob Hurd

Profile:

It's now the begging of week 5. Finished nicole today with 4 rounds and 70 jumping pullups. By the time I got back from my 5th run time was up. It was also pouring down rain this morning at one point there was standing water. I guess the good thing is that you cant tell whats sweat and whats rain.