CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 11-20-2007, 06:28 PM   #1
Yong Tang

Profile:
squat depth lower back help

I didn't really start paying attention to my lower back for squats because I always assumed that since my deadlift form was fine, my form for squats should be as well. But, I took a picture and it seems to me when I almost reach a2a, my lumbar spine starts to cave in a little, preventing me from doing a full a2a without an arched back. Is my form for the lower back adequate, or is it not arched enough? Watching olympic lifters go a2a with a clear arched back makes me wonder this, and if it's not arched enough, is there anything I can do to increase the flexibility when I squat to that depth? Thanks.

http://img156.imageshack.us/img156/4972/61029204iw7.jpg
Old 11-20-2007, 06:31 PM   #2
Brian Degenaro

Profile:
Re: squat depth lower back help

Sit with just the bar in the low position, that's what helped me the most.
Old 11-21-2007, 04:26 PM   #3
Torbjörn Tapani

Profile:

Squat RX #1 adress this issue - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rq8CW...x=0&playnext=1

It's most likely a tight hamstring. I prefer doing my warmup with overhead squats with an empty bar, as low as I can go.
Old 11-23-2007, 04:50 PM   #4
Ryan Whitenack

Profile:

I have helped my lumbar curve in the squats by putting something under my heels, as well as lowbar squats. The lowbar has made a HUGE difference in many things I do wrong in the squat.
Old 11-23-2007, 06:23 PM   #5
Yong Tang

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torbjörn Tapani View Post
Squat RX #1 adress this issue - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rq8CW...x=0&playnext=1

It's most likely a tight hamstring. I prefer doing my warmup with overhead squats with an empty bar, as low as I can go.
wow those videos are great, thanks. it seems as if everyone in the videos i watch aren't really going a2a though, which is what I'm shooting for, without the curve in the back. I am way flexible to squat a2a but it seems physically impossible for the spine not to curve at some point. anyway i will be just going between parallel and a2a at the moment.
Old 11-23-2007, 06:24 PM   #6
Yong Tang

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Whitenack View Post
I have helped my lumbar curve in the squats by putting something under my heels, as well as lowbar squats. The lowbar has made a HUGE difference in many things I do wrong in the squat.
what exactly are lowbar squats? I am starting to incorporate more overheads to increase stability too. wouldn't putting something under the heels just temporarily straighten the lumbar? I want to be able to have the flexibility to do them barefoot if i wanted to.
Old 11-25-2007, 08:34 PM   #7
Ryan Whitenack

Profile:

Having my heels raised is a progression I am making to get back to doing them normal. After injuring my back fairly bad, me and my doc found that I have poor flexibility in the hamstrings. Adding in the heel raised squats has been just the latest in the sequence. I like them alot.

The lowbar I'm sure can be researched on-line. I might be wrong because I only watched it once, but there is a video article in the latest CF journal that has Rippetoe advocating for the Low bar squat. It feels weird at first but it really helpful, because it decreases the distance between the load and the fulcrum. This helps keep the three angles to be concerned with in range of acceptability, and it just helps me with my back.

It is a great change, but someday I'll put the others back in when I can physically handle the load. I would say that it would be great for the average athlete to do both so that training is more varied and complete.