CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 02-05-2014, 01:05 PM   #41
Joshua Ruwet

Profile:
Re: Suggestion for beginner footwear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristian Skarsfeldt View Post
Narrow foot = Inov8s

I swear to my Inov's 195
FYI-

Inov8 now has new F-lite Natural for wider feet. Old last is called Precision. From best I can tell it really seems to be a change in the toe box. The original fit (Precision) had a rather pointy toe box. The Natural fit has a more anatomic shape, similar to the FastLifts. I have been looking to try these on to compare. Any feedback folks can provide would be appreciated.

I do not work for Inov8 and have no dog in the fight. Best shoe is the one that works for you. Inov8 just happens to work well for me.
Old 02-13-2014, 11:02 PM   #42
Candice Craig

Profile:

Hello, I've only just joined this forum. Im a female and wanting to get some cross fit shoes for the first time. Sorry if this question has been asked already but I wanted to know the best shoes for ladies that have been cross fitting about a year. I live in Australia and tried to buy innov8's but couldn't find any in my size anywhere!!! Reebok seems easier to buy. Is it a crime to buy anything other than Nano 3's? Also any help with sizing would be great. Thanks
Old 02-14-2014, 03:09 AM   #43
William Garrett

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candice Craig View Post
Hello, I've only just joined this forum. Im a female and wanting to get some cross fit shoes for the first time. Sorry if this question has been asked already but I wanted to know the best shoes for ladies that have been cross fitting about a year. I live in Australia and tried to buy innov8's but couldn't find any in my size anywhere!!! Reebok seems easier to buy. Is it a crime to buy anything other than Nano 3's? Also any help with sizing would be great. Thanks

I found some cheap Nano 2.0's at a Reebok Outlet in FL, bought 2 pairs, my wife did also. 8 months later after wearing them daily and training they are fine. I will only buy 3's when they becomes cheap, or these wear out. Sizing seem to run inline with everything.

Last edited by William Garrett : 02-14-2014 at 03:12 AM.
Old 02-14-2014, 07:52 AM   #44
Miles Roberts

Profile:

Quote:
My wife bought the Reebok "one" trainers (I think that's what they're called). They were about half the price of new nano's, and she loves them. Advice on sizing? Try them on and move around in them. I wouldn't buy workout shoes that I'd never worn before without trying them out. For what its worth, I had to buy a size smaller nano's than most shoes I wear.
Old 02-14-2014, 11:34 AM   #45
Dakota Base

Profile:

Quote:
Hello, I've only just joined this forum. Im a female and wanting to get some cross fit shoes for the first time... Is it a crime to buy anything other than Nano 3's?...
First off, no, it's not a crime, but if you're working out a box where "the cool kids wear nano's, because they're serious about Crossfit," then it's up to you. Personally, I don't play that game, I'd find another box before I bought a pair of shoes I didn't want just because everyone else had them.

Sure, there are some people that might buy Nano's just for the aspect of supporting Crossfit, and since the Nano's are "THE OFFICIAL CROSSFIT SHOE," then that's also up to you. I'm not sure I support Crossfit HQ, as much as I support cross-training, and support the Games, so my jury is out about buying Nano's for this reason.

I did have a pair of Nano 2.0's, just to try out new shoes - I go through a few pairs of shoes each year, and figured I'd see if they lived up to the hype. They didn't live up to the hype, they were just a shoe.

I have been "crossfitting," although not by name since it didn't exist back then, for over 15yrs, and olympic and powerlifting for 20yrs. I've worn a wide variety of shoes, between steel toed boots, chuck taylors, barefoot, running shoes, etc etc. Here's my personal experience/recommendations/opinions...

"Dynamic shoes": These are the high heel drop shoes, like the Inov-8 Fastlift or Reebok Lifter. These are a benefit for new lifters that have trouble getting their ***-in-the-grass due to poor dorsiflexion of the ankle. Rather than raising the heels off of the floor during the lift to gain depth, high drop shoes elevate the heel and offer stability. To support that heel elevation and support heavy lifts, they usually have broad heels, and rigid arch supports. "Traditional" running shoes will usually have a heel drop and arch support like this, so any traditional running shoe with high drop and a stable heel will likely do just as well.

Or you could just stick a 2.5 or 5lb plate under each heel to give you a bit more ROM on your lifts, like guys have been doing for decades.

"Rope Climbing Shoes": There are 2 kinds, climbing shoes with "rope soles", or climbing shoes with "rope protection" like the Nano's or F-lites. The rope protection is just harder and more abrasion resistant copolymer on the medial sole and arch, which can be a problem if you're doing much walking or running in them. Some people will feel like they are running on the inside of their foot (i.e. these people need a guidance shoe, or neutral running shoe). It does help the shoe last longer if you're climbing a lot, but probably a non-issue for 99% of crossfitters.

Rope soles are tacky and flexible, but this makes them have very low durability if you do much running/walking in them. Asphalt will shred these soft and tacky soles quickly. Again, if you are the 1% of crossfitters that climbs A LOT but doesn't have the upper body strength and does all of the climb with their legs/feet, these might be good to have, just don't wear them outside.

"Flats": Like the Nano's. I really don't see much difference in these and most modern low drop minimalist running shoes, other than the rope protection (i'd probably argue that a stability running shoe like the Brooks Pure-Cadence is almost identical to these rope protected shoes in terms of durability.

"Chuck Taylors": many years ago, these were the only good flats with rigid soleplates that you could find locally for most guys, and they had lace up ankle support, which we thought we needed, so they were popular. But there hasn't been a reason to use this type of shoe for at least 10yrs, as better products are out there locally now.

My opinion is that the "flats" are the best class of shoe to look at, since I'm a strong believer in a natural gait.

HOWEVER, I'm not yet convinced that the Nano's are best in class. I lift a lot barefoot still these days (did 455lb deadlift last night without shoes), otherwise I wear my Brooks Pureflow 2's. Love the shoe, 4mm drop, very cushiony for a minimal shoe, but has a very hardwired feel to the floor for stable lifts. Very stable heel, great "plant" on the ball of the foot. These run about $80, to the Nano's $120, and compared to the Nano 2's, I think the Pureflow's have better cushion and better arch support.
Old 02-14-2014, 01:10 PM   #46
Chuck Golden

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles Roberts View Post
My wife bought the Reebok "one" trainers (I think that's what they're called). They were about half the price of new nano's, and she loves them. Advice on sizing? Try them on and move around in them. I wouldn't buy workout shoes that I'd never worn before without trying them out. For what its worth, I had to buy a size smaller nano's than most shoes I wear.
I have the One Trainers too, they were $40 cheaper than the 3.0's when I got them and they felt better on my feet (I didn't like the snug fit of any of the Nanos). I've had them for almost a year and have zero complaints.
Old 02-19-2014, 09:38 AM   #47
Reuben Bakker

Profile:

I was down in FL for a family visit over the weekend. Stopped in at a Marshall's and they had some Merrell shoes in there, ended up picking up the Road Glove 2 for $39. They had some Trail Gloves in there too for the same price, probably should have picked those up also. Did my first WOD in the new shoes yesterday and WOW what a difference. We did a ton of squats, and I've just never felt so balanced and planted. Previously I was in some traditional Saucony running shoes (super cushiony) or my Fila Skeletoes (not bad but not stable). The Merrell Road Gloves have a flat heel profile and a 0mm drop, which I found really helps me to keep my weight planted in my heels when I need to. I haven't run very far in them yet, but I can tell that I'll need to build up that aspect slowly. I wore them all day yesterday and today, and I can feel that new muscles in my feet and ankles are being worked. Anyway, I don't see much talk on here about Merrell shoes, but the Road Glove 2 to me seems like a fantastic all around crossfit shoe.