CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 10-18-2005, 06:53 PM   #1
Travis Hall

Profile:

does anyone know anything about baking with protein powders? my girlfriend bakes and i was thinking about getting her to throw some powder into some muffins.... but will this work?
i've heard heat can destroy protein? anyone know anything about this? woth while or waste of time/ money...

would be using optimum nutrition instantized 100% whey, gold standard.

thanks,
t.
Old 10-18-2005, 08:20 PM   #2
Nikki Young

Profile:
As far as im aware its fine to cook with protien powder. I used to add it to hot food all the time when i was consuming it. I know of bodybuilders who make their own protien bars using protien powder. So im sure if it destroyed a valubale number of protien they wouldn't be doing it!
Old 10-19-2005, 02:33 AM   #3
Antti Akonniemi

Profile:  
Not sure why, but I wouldn't use pure whey :lol: it had something to do with heat, but then again I might be wrong. Does anyone have valid info about this?

I've used milk, casein and soy for cooking and baking.
Old 10-19-2005, 03:07 AM   #4
Nikki Young

Profile:
Well, i was right the first time :proud:

Except now i have some more info ...

Protein will breakdown if its exposed to extreme heat for long periods, the killing point for whey is around 400deg F, killing point for casein is around 500deg F.

So its unlikely that when you bake it with some muffins or cakes, the protein will have time to denature because it won't be under such an extreme heat for a long enough period, and if the protein does happen to denature, it will still contain nitrogen content so will still test positive for protein.

And if the protien does end up denaturising, you will probably be able to tell because (apparently) it tastes horrible - something im glad i haven't encountered :happy:
Old 10-19-2005, 07:13 AM   #5
Travis Hall

Profile:

guess i'll try it out next batch she makes.
thanks,
t.
Old 10-19-2005, 10:40 AM   #6
Lisa Sorbo

Profile:
we eat denatured protein all the time - cooked egg white is the most visible example of a denatured protein - this just means that it has lost its secondary and tertiary structure and the original structure cannot be recovered. all the raw protein you eat is denatured by the acid in your stomach. Denaturing does not mean that the component AA are not available - the primary structure is still in tact - in fact, AFAIK, it is necessary for digestion and absorption.

I'm not sure what denaturing per se has to do with the subject. It may be that protein powders under extremes of heat (like baking) taste bad - but that would be independent of any denaturing event.
Old 10-19-2005, 10:57 AM   #7
Michael J. Joyce

Profile:
There are some recipes in The Zone book and cookbook for muffins and other stuff that use protein powder...worth checking out.