CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 05-09-2013, 10:49 AM   #1
Charley Agen

Profile:
Recommendations for strength program?

So I have been slacking in the past few months due to grad school being pretty crazy. Prior I was doing a lot of metcon heavy stuff and have always been pretty weak. I am 6'1'' 180. I am not even sure what 1 RMs are right now, but definitely weak. Strength is my number one goal, but I would also like to work in some metcons. I have tried Greyskull in the past. Do you guys have any recommendations?
Old 05-09-2013, 11:02 AM   #2
Andrew N. Casey

Profile:
Re: Recommendations for strength program?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley Agen View Post
So I have been slacking in the past few months due to grad school being pretty crazy. Prior I was doing a lot of metcon heavy stuff and have always been pretty weak. I am 6'1'' 180. I am not even sure what 1 RMs are right now, but definitely weak. Strength is my number one goal, but I would also like to work in some metcons. I have tried Greyskull in the past. Do you guys have any recommendations?
at this stage just pick one and do it. and eat more. gain 40lbs and lift heavy things.

did you not like GSLP?
Old 05-09-2013, 12:27 PM   #3
Robert Fabsik

Profile:

Westside Barbell Program is fun, allows variety and can be modified for a lot of goals. It might be slow to get all its nuances at first, but once you do it is easy.

Wendler 5/3/1 is a simple program to follow.

CrossFit Football is another program done for you that is effective.
Old 05-09-2013, 12:45 PM   #4
Jason Ippolito

Profile:

I was in the same boat as you just 3 weeks ago. I was out of it for awhile and looking to start back up again. I also did GSLP in the past with great success.

After looking around I decided on doing a beginner 5/3/1 using the blackironbeast calculator and have been on it for the past 3 weeks and I am liking it but at the same time I keep thinking I should've just went back to GSLP.

The best advice is the one above, just pick one program, stick with it, eat more and listen to your body when it comes to rest.
Old 05-09-2013, 12:56 PM   #5
Dana Rice

Profile:

Depending on your goals - I would reccomend either SS or 5/3/1

Both are really easy to follow - SS, and other similar Linear Progression programs would allow little wiggle room for other activities, like wods, or even general conditioning.

I like 5/3/1, because it is highly customizable, and you can do other things without impacting recovery.

It is a slower approach - but I've had a pretty good deal of success with it myself.
Old 05-09-2013, 02:15 PM   #6
Nick Hoffman

Profile:

I also like 5/3/1. I pretty much bastardized the program (only 1 531 upper & lower body lift with assistance work, Westside & DeFranco inspired upper / lower body dynamic days, running & swimming 3 times a week, cals 2 days) and I'm still making good progress with it. I'm such a horrible person, I even do front squats with it instead of back squats (255 max to 10x225 in 2 months).

Last edited by Nick Hoffman : 05-09-2013 at 02:28 PM.
Old 05-10-2013, 06:24 AM   #7
Charley Agen

Profile:

Thanks for the suggestions! What do you guys think of CFSB? I would like to incorporate some basic Oly lifts into a program if possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew N. Casey View Post
at this stage just pick one and do it. and eat more. gain 40lbs and lift heavy things.

did you not like GSLP?
I liked GSLP, except for the bicep curls and neck harness (not a huge fan). I thought about trying it out again. I was just checking my prospects to see if another program would fit better. I want to pick a program and stick to it for atleast a solid 6 months to a year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Fabsik View Post
Westside Barbell Program is fun, allows variety and can be modified for a lot of goals. It might be slow to get all its nuances at first, but once you do it is easy.

Wendler 5/3/1 is a simple program to follow.

CrossFit Football is another program done for you that is effective.
I actually really like crossfit football, but it seems like there are always pieces of equipment that I don't have access to incorporated in to the workouts. I have access to a nice gym with an indoor track at Div 1 school, but like today the workout called for sandbags and which I don't have access to
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Ippolito View Post
I was in the same boat as you just 3 weeks ago. I was out of it for awhile and looking to start back up again. I also did GSLP in the past with great success.

After looking around I decided on doing a beginner 5/3/1 using the blackironbeast calculator and have been on it for the past 3 weeks and I am liking it but at the same time I keep thinking I should've just went back to GSLP.

The best advice is the one above, just pick one program, stick with it, eat more and listen to your body when it comes to rest.
I just checked out the ironbeast calculator. Pretty legit! I am contemplating 5/3/1 using it.
Old 05-10-2013, 06:32 AM   #8
Jeff Enge

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley Agen View Post
[b]I liked GSLP, except for the bicep curls and neck harness (not a huge fan). I thought about trying it out again. I was just checking my prospects to see if another program would fit better. I want to pick a program and stick to it for atleast a solid 6 months to a year.
If you don't like the neck harness and bicep curls but you like everything else, don't do them. GSLP is very modular, the common, base template that's put up is just an example of things you can do. The point is to work your specific weaknesses in the assistance part, in JP's book (I would recommend buying this if you are at all serious about considering it, getting the program straight from the horse's mouth is probably a good idea if you are going to embark on a year-long excursion with a program) he lists recommended rep schemes for various assistance lifts as well as how you can incorporate both high and low intensity conditioning as well as Olympic lifting if you so desire.

Another thing to consider, I don't know where you are strength-wise, but 5/3/1 offers a little slower progression than GSLP. Good if you are already relatively strong and proficient at the lifts, but beginners are going to get quicker results on something more linear.