CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 02-24-2012, 07:35 AM   #1
Brian Androsian

Profile:
whey vs other options

The other thread on protein powder reminded me that I've been meaning to ask this.

I used to be a vegetarian and still like that way of thinking. I eat a lot of meat, but still no dairy. (not paleo) I currently use hemp protein and am wondering if I could be seeing better results if I switched. I was planning on switching to pea protein after I run out, however now I'm considering going back to whey. I used to use Optimum Nutrition and it was fine (I wasn't lifting much then) but for the past year or so, I've seen whey as just dairy byproduct garbage. I've done a lot of reading and people will either say whey is the best or it's garbage that just makes you bloated and has no upside.

I know most everyone here uses whey, so convince me why it's better.

Also, I make a shake every morning with a bunch of stuff, but also some protein. Would you recommend using whey for pwo and something like hemp or pea in the morning, when it's not pwo?

I appreciate your input.
Old 02-24-2012, 07:41 AM   #2
Wayne Riddle

Profile:
Re: whey vs other options

Why do you care? if it is working for you then don't worry about it.
Old 02-24-2012, 07:45 AM   #3
Brian Androsian

Profile:

I guess that's a good point. It's not that what I'm doing isn't working, I'm just wondering if something else would work better or be healthier. Not dying over this, just can't get a consistent straight answer anywhere and I'm curious.
Old 02-24-2012, 08:05 AM   #4
Joey Shishineh

Profile:

apparently whey is absorbed fast into the blood stream and casein is absorbed slowly. I have heard you want both in your pwo. Not sure what absorption rates yours have...

I use whey with milk because it is convenient and affordable...and it seems to have been working for the past 6 months.
Old 02-24-2012, 09:10 AM   #5
David Sigmon

Profile:

The major difference between whey and hemp will be the bcaa profile and the overall macro nutrient breakdown.

Whey isolate is high in bcaa's which will aid in recovery post workout by supplying fast digesting proteins easily absorbed in the blood stream as noted above. One of our main interests is the bcaa l-leucine. L-leucine has induces an insulin response in the body which helps shuttle nutrients into the muscle cells.

Hemp protein is higher in fat which is something we don't want post workout and why i highly discourage milk post workout. Fats slow absoption of any meal in the body by slowing down digestion. This is why paleo is so effecient at keeping us lean! We eat proteins and fats which have a very low GI load and will sustain a release of amino acids into the blood stream throughout the day. Creating an insulin response is what we DONT want to have occur when we are dieting. The release of insulin stops the body from burning off free fatty acids (FFA's) but we want this post workout, just not constantly throughout the day.

Anyway, unless you are an elite level competitor or bodybuilder this will probably not provide you any quantifiable results different than using hemp. I think the biggest decision you need to make is which one does your body digest better (ie not give you bloating and gas) and stick with that.
Old 06-08-2012, 07:16 AM   #6
Brian Androsian

Profile:

Resurrecting this. So, I've been using whey for awhile and lately, I've been feeling like crap. Saw a doctor and got blood work done and everything is perfect, I'm told. Lately, though, every time I eat, I get stomach pains. Some foods are worse than others, but everything seems to mess me up somewhat.
So, process of elimination time. First on the chopping block I'm thinking will be whey. Dairy doesn't sit well with me, so maybe whey is giving similar reactions. So, other than whey, can anyone tell me what the next best protein powder would be? I've tried rice and hemp and while both sat fine with me, they mixed and tasted terrible (could have just been the brand)
I've read around, but I never know who to trust and I don't know enough about the stuff to just pick out of a lineup.
Also, yes I know foods are better that powders and I eat foods much more, but it adds in convenience and pwo drinks.

Thoughts?
Old 06-08-2012, 07:31 AM   #7
Conrad Taylor

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Androsian View Post
Resurrecting this. So, I've been using whey for awhile and lately, I've been feeling like crap. Saw a doctor and got blood work done and everything is perfect, I'm told. Lately, though, every time I eat, I get stomach pains. Some foods are worse than others, but everything seems to mess me up somewhat.
So, process of elimination time. First on the chopping block I'm thinking will be whey. Dairy doesn't sit well with me, so maybe whey is giving similar reactions. So, other than whey, can anyone tell me what the next best protein powder would be? I've tried rice and hemp and while both sat fine with me, they mixed and tasted terrible (could have just been the brand)
I've read around, but I never know who to trust and I don't know enough about the stuff to just pick out of a lineup.
Also, yes I know foods are better that powders and I eat foods much more, but it adds in convenience and pwo drinks.

Thoughts?
Do you feel you need to have it?
Have you thought about not supplementing with any form of protein powder?
Old 06-08-2012, 07:36 AM   #8
Brian Androsian

Profile:

I know I don't need it, but nobody does. It helps with pwo nutrition and getting more calories down.
Old 06-08-2012, 08:43 AM   #9
David Sigmon

Profile:

Drop the protein shake for a week or two and see how you feel. If you feel you need PWO nutrition take some bcaa's immediately post workout then have a whole food meal as soon as you can. If you take out the whey and don't feel better then you can put it back in and take something else out that may be an allergen.
Old 06-08-2012, 02:15 PM   #10
Chris Mason

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Sigmon View Post
The major difference between whey and hemp will be the bcaa profile and the overall macro nutrient breakdown.

Whey isolate is high in bcaa's which will aid in recovery post workout by supplying fast digesting proteins easily absorbed in the blood stream as noted above. One of our main interests is the bcaa l-leucine. L-leucine has induces an insulin response in the body which helps shuttle nutrients into the muscle cells.

Hemp protein is higher in fat which is something we don't want post workout and why i highly discourage milk post workout. Fats slow absoption of any meal in the body by slowing down digestion. This is why paleo is so effecient at keeping us lean! We eat proteins and fats which have a very low GI load and will sustain a release of amino acids into the blood stream throughout the day. Creating an insulin response is what we DONT want to have occur when we are dieting. The release of insulin stops the body from burning off free fatty acids (FFA's) but we want this post workout, just not constantly throughout the day.

Anyway, unless you are an elite level competitor or bodybuilder this will probably not provide you any quantifiable results different than using hemp. I think the biggest decision you need to make is which one does your body digest better (ie not give you bloating and gas) and stick with that.
Another really big difference is taste and mouth feel. Hemp proteins taste like crap.... I thought about selling them at one point, but decided against it for that reason.