CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 08-13-2011, 05:09 PM   #1
Gaines DuVall

Profile:
3 really jacked discs in lower back, now what?

All of my doctors, but one, are saying that my discs are so severely herniated that treatment wont help and I need surgery. My L5 is completely f'ed!

I have had two neck surgeries from college football injuries and really want to heal without surgery.

What sucks, is I LOVED crossfit. But the reality is that all the overhead lifting, deadlifts, & oly lifting were huge contributors to this problem. And yes, I have great form on those lifts.

Just curious if anyone else has had a similar back problem and continues to crossfit, maybe just cutting out the powerlifts & oly lifts?
Old 08-14-2011, 01:40 AM   #2
Omri Aloni

Profile:
Re: 3 really jacked discs in lower back, now what?

Stop Crossfitting and pick up a copy of Stuart McGill's 'Low Back Disorders' and 'Ultimate Back Fitness and Performance'. CrossFit is not the end-all program and there's plenty of ways to condition yourself without setting yourself up for injury. Once you get your imbalances, weakness, and current injuries sorted out, you can even go back to CrossFit style workouts that do not involve high-rep deadlifting and oly lifts.
Old 08-14-2011, 02:54 AM   #3
Brian Strump

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaines DuVall View Post
All of my doctors, but one, are saying that my discs are so severely herniated that treatment wont help and I need surgery. My L5 is completely f'ed!

I have had two neck surgeries from college football injuries and really want to heal without surgery.

What sucks, is I LOVED crossfit. But the reality is that all the overhead lifting, deadlifts, & oly lifting were huge contributors to this problem. And yes, I have great form on those lifts.

Just curious if anyone else has had a similar back problem and continues to crossfit, maybe just cutting out the powerlifts & oly lifts?

With that thinking, you should hate football since it's 10x more likely that these injuries are a result of 10-15 years of playing a sport with repetitive high velocity collisions than CrossFit. You could have had this problems for years, and not had any pain. You'd be amazed what people are walking around with, and have little to no complaints of pain.
Old 08-14-2011, 02:22 PM   #4
Megan Zetter

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omri Aloni View Post
Stop Crossfitting and pick up a copy of Stuart McGill's 'Low Back Disorders' and 'Ultimate Back Fitness and Performance'. CrossFit is not the end-all program and there's plenty of ways to condition yourself without setting yourself up for injury. Once you get your imbalances, weakness, and current injuries sorted out, you can even go back to CrossFit style workouts that do not involve high-rep deadlifting and oly lifts.
I second this. Surgery should be the last resort after you have exhausted ALL options. McGill's work is fantastic.
Old 08-14-2011, 03:15 PM   #5
Brett Dartt

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Strump View Post
With that thinking, you should hate football since it's 10x more likely that these injuries are a result of 10-15 years of playing a sport with repetitive high velocity collisions than CrossFit. You could have had this problems for years, and not had any pain. You'd be amazed what people are walking around with, and have little to no complaints of pain.
yup. he should be grateful otherwise he might have gone his life without any complaints of pain..
Old 08-15-2011, 09:44 AM   #6
Gaines DuVall

Profile:

Quote:
You are correct. I have no doubt that these injuries are a result of my former football days. But I also have no doubt that the overhead lifting & oly lifts have worsened and aggrevated them.
Old 08-15-2011, 11:06 AM   #7
Brian Strump

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaines DuVall View Post
You are correct. I have no doubt that these injuries are a result of my former football days. But I also have no doubt that the overhead lifting & oly lifts have worsened and aggrevated them.
To answer your original question, the answer is yes. There are many people with similar injuries that after they rehab, are able to continue with similar exercises. Some may even be better at those lifts if the rehab focuses on strengthening areas of weakness or decreased mobility. I think it comes down to your risk v. reward of such movements.
Old 08-15-2011, 07:45 PM   #8
Gaines DuVall

Profile:

Quote:
To answer your original question, the answer is yes. There are many people with similar injuries that after they rehab, are able to continue with similar exercises. Some may even be better at those lifts if the rehab focuses on strengthening areas of weakness or decreased mobility. I think it comes down to your risk v. reward of such movements.
I had a great meeting tonight with one of my old buddies who is a chiro that specializes in sports rehab. And he agrees, that I should be able to return to mostly the same style of CF that I have been doing.
Old 08-19-2011, 09:19 AM   #9
Camille Lore

Profile:  

Some disc injuries can't be rehabbed and do require surgery.
We have a surgeon here in Madison, WI who works on professional football and hockey players and sends players back to starting positions within 3-6 months of surgery. In fact, he chews athletes out if they don't return full force to their sport competitively after he clears them. He says they only have a 3% recurrence rate, which is the same risk anyone has of injuring a disc.

Best of luck to you. A disc injury isn't the end of the world, fortunately. I know a Master's judo player who was picked for the olympic team and actually has a fusion. She still competes.

PM me if you are looking for any support. Had a close family member just go through all of this as an athlete, and it is rough mentally.