CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 08-07-2011, 05:03 PM   #1
Daniel Frankel

Profile:
Thoughts on my dietician's response to me?

So I recently sent this to my dietician:

(I sent her this because I have high cholesterol (genetically) and wanted some advice on what I should be eating. I asked the message board about 2 weeks ago, but figured it would not hurt to ask my dietician herself)

Quote:
The question I had involves nutrition. I do a lot of weightlifting, and am now strictly focusing on strength for the next couple of months, and am on a very 'heavy' program. As such, I need to up my caloric intake in order to sustain my energy and such (I am not sure about the specifics, but this is how it was explained to me by my coach and many others). I would like to know; what are some calorie dense foods that will not have a negative impact on my cholesterol, or even foods that will have a positive impact?
This was her reply:
Quote:
As I do not know anything about your current dietary intake, I will first start off by giving you some recommendations on healthy eating and exercise. Make sure you are eating every 3-4 hours throughout the day to keep your energy levels up (this is especially important as you will need this constant energy for the "heavy" program you are on). Every day you should be eating 3 meals with snacks in between meals. Follow Canada's Food Guide for the recommended serving sizes from each food group for age and gender (http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/fn-an/food-gu.../index-eng.php).

In your meals you should aim to have 3 of the 4 food groups (veggies/fruit, whole grains, milk and alternatives and/or meat and alternatives) and follow the healthy eating plate model taught in lipid clinic (1/2 plate veggies, 1/4 whole grains, 1/4 lean meats/alternatives). For snacks (and also your post workout snacks), you should be having something containing both carbohydrate and protein - carbohydrate is to help replace the energy your burned during your workout and protein is to help rebuild the muscles you worked (e.g banana and peanut natural butter, low fat yogurt and fruit, chocolate milk (skim milk with a little chocolate syrup) etc.

I recommend emphasizing high energy foods like whole grains (e.g. whole wheat bagel, whole grain cereals), low fat dairy (skim milk, low fat yogurt, low fat cheese (only 2-3x week), fruits, and lean meats/meat alternatives - nuts are a good source of energy and they contain healthy fats which can help with cholesterol- however they are still a fat so I would not recommend eating any more than 1/4 cup/day (and this counts as one of your meat and alternative servings on Canada's Food guide). You could also try making smoothies for some good healthy energy boosting - try yogurt with skim milk and fruit.

Foods that will have a positive impact on your cholesterol are foods that are high in fibre (fruits and veggies and whole grains). Foods that contain omega-3 fatty acids (e.g. salmon and ground flax seed) have also been shown to help.

I've also attached a resource called "Fueling the Young Athlete" from Dietitians of Canada that you might find helpful.
I was curious as to what people thought of her opinion, as I know there is some controversy among crossfitters involving the above mentioned food guide (Or so I think. Please correct me if I am wrong)

As well, did I explain myself properly to her?

- Frankel.
Old 08-07-2011, 05:31 PM   #2
Wayne Riddle

Profile:
Re: Thoughts on my dietician's response to me?

Does it work for you? The don't worry about it. Although the bit about eating every 3-4 hours is bogus. Eat enough to support your goals, and make what you eat real food. Easy as that.

If you want more advice pick up a copy of Robb Wolf's book "The Paleo Solution."

IMO the whole thing with cholesterol numbers isn't the first thing I would worry about.
Old 08-07-2011, 09:59 PM   #3
Craig Rogers

Profile:

sounds about like what a dietician would say.
Very few dieticians will recommend a paleo style diet.
Old 08-08-2011, 03:46 AM   #4
Darryl Shaw

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Frankel View Post
So I recently sent this to my dietician:

(I sent her this because I have high cholesterol (genetically) and wanted some advice on what I should be eating. I asked the message board about 2 weeks ago, but figured it would not hurt to ask my dietician herself)

This was her reply:

I was curious as to what people thought of her opinion, as I know there is some controversy among crossfitters involving the above mentioned food guide (Or so I think. Please correct me if I am wrong)

As well, did I explain myself properly to her?

- Frankel.
You explained your position perfectly and received good advice. Now all you have to do is follow it.
Old 08-08-2011, 05:30 AM   #5
Bill M. Hesse

Profile:

I am confused Daniel. We discussed this in a previous thread. I know what I suspect but what I would hope we can avoid is you posting this here so the CF members of the board can bash it with paleo rhetoric and justify you eating differently than recommended. I am only bringing this b/c I am worried you may make a decision on your diet based on what is said to you here and not your doctor / dietitian's advice. I know a dietitian at work that thinks gluten intolerance is a real issue these days, but I don't think her advice would be a lot different than you received. You need to follow the advice of those entrusted with your health and not the Crossfit discussion board. I hope I am not coming off too brazenly but I just wouldn't want you coming here to seek advice differently because you didn't like the answer you got. You have cholesterol issues that were discussed before and no one here is your doctor dietitian, so better advice to seek may include how to put what you were told in action. Paleo is kinda radical for the diet world and I feel if not done correctly it can be damaging (i.e. over consumption of inappropriate fats due to not eating quality meats). That being said, I don't want to accuse you of anything that you are not doing so I think I have made my point.

The only thing I think you need to consider is eating too many carbs can raise you triglyceride levels. You will need to time when you eat higher carb stuff to give you best bang for buck. Dietitian was spot on with eating lots of veggies! In your position consider lots of chicken and lean pork lion. For nuts I would stick primarily with walnuts due to a more favorable O2:O6 ratio. There are guys like Darryl that have crazy work capacity and programming with a very lean almost vegan diet. I forgot to mention, salmon and tuna are your friend. Lean and full of good protein. Dairy is not your friend in regards to cholesterol and triglycerides. I think it is hard to go wrong with lean meat, veggies and fruit pre and post workout. Try and get those carbs in post workout and stick to veggies the rest of the day. That is all I have for now. Good luck with your programming and be smart. Unchecked your triglycerides and LDL can really cause you some problems.
Old 08-08-2011, 06:24 AM   #6
Daniel Frankel

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M. Hesse View Post
I am confused Daniel. We discussed this in a previous thread. I know what I suspect but what I would hope we can avoid is you posting this here so the CF members of the board can bash it with paleo rhetoric and justify you eating differently than recommended. I am only bringing this b/c I am worried you may make a decision on your diet based on what is said to you here and not your doctor / dietitian's advice. I know a dietitian at work that thinks gluten intolerance is a real issue these days, but I don't think her advice would be a lot different than you received. You need to follow the advice of those entrusted with your health and not the Crossfit discussion board. I hope I am not coming off too brazenly but I just wouldn't want you coming here to seek advice differently because you didn't like the answer you got. You have cholesterol issues that were discussed before and no one here is your doctor dietitian, so better advice to seek may include how to put what you were told in action. Paleo is kinda radical for the diet world and I feel if not done correctly it can be damaging (i.e. over consumption of inappropriate fats due to not eating quality meats). That being said, I don't want to accuse you of anything that you are not doing so I think I have made my point.

The only thing I think you need to consider is eating too many carbs can raise you triglyceride levels. You will need to time when you eat higher carb stuff to give you best bang for buck. Dietitian was spot on with eating lots of veggies! In your position consider lots of chicken and lean pork lion. For nuts I would stick primarily with walnuts due to a more favorable O2:O6 ratio. There are guys like Darryl that have crazy work capacity and programming with a very lean almost vegan diet. I forgot to mention, salmon and tuna are your friend. Lean and full of good protein. Dairy is not your friend in regards to cholesterol and triglycerides. I think it is hard to go wrong with lean meat, veggies and fruit pre and post workout. Try and get those carbs in post workout and stick to veggies the rest of the day. That is all I have for now. Good luck with your programming and be smart. Unchecked your triglycerides and LDL can really cause you some problems.
Okay, thanks a lot for your response. I will look into and follow my dieticians advice.
Old 08-08-2011, 07:31 AM   #7
Bill M. Hesse

Profile:

No problem brother! Just want to make sure your being safe. You have to keep that body the rest of your life. It can be easy to get caught up on this board and take advice from people who aren't licensed to give advice. I have no license to recommend dietary guidelines but you can investigate just about anything I said and find the science is favorable to it. I forgot to mention oatmeal does not contain gluten. It is whole grain and good for your card requirements. View what I and others have said as a sharing of knowledge with you. This info would be useful for you when discussinv your diet plans with your dietitian. It is not in substitute of their advice.
Old 08-08-2011, 09:11 AM   #8
Rebecca Roth

Profile:

While I heartily agree that you probably should listen to an informed medical professional over people on the forum... That said, I would call to question your dietician's advice starting with the following:
Quote:
As I do not know anything about your current dietary intake, I will first start off by giving you some recommendations on healthy eating and exercise.
Your dietician is giving you a general reccommendation based on government guidelines, it's clear she is not familiar with your personal situation, goals, dietary preferences, etc. Just receiving a blanket reccommendation that you could have found online, means she is providing very little value in terms to providing a diet that works for you personally, and isn't neccesarrily helping you reach your goals - she didn't really give you feedback on how to specifically best support a strength training regiment, despite the fact that you stated that as your primary purpose.
Old 08-08-2011, 02:26 PM   #9
Veronica Carpenter

Profile:

Quote:
The only thing I think you need to consider is eating too many carbs can raise you triglyceride levels. You will need to time when you eat higher carb stuff to give you best bang for buck. Dietitian was spot on with eating lots of veggies! In your position consider lots of chicken and lean pork lion. For nuts I would stick primarily with walnuts due to a more favorable O2:O6 ratio....I forgot to mention, salmon and tuna are your friend. Lean and full of good protein. Dairy is not your friend in regards to cholesterol and triglycerides. I think it is hard to go wrong with lean meat, veggies and fruit pre and post workout. Try and get those carbs in post workout and stick to veggies the rest of the day. That is all I have for now. Good luck with your programming and be smart. Unchecked your triglycerides and LDL can really cause you some problems.
^^This^^
Old 08-08-2011, 04:48 PM   #10
Vickie Ellickson

Profile:

Quote:
You need to follow the advice of those entrusted with your health and not the Crossfit discussion board.
That's all fine and good until you come across this equation:

Dietician = No Bacon

FAIL.