CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 07-25-2011, 08:34 PM   #1
Daniel Frankel

Profile:
How do I explain my cholesterol going up to dad/doctor?

So, I have genetically high cholesterol and have had it since about grade 3-4 (about to start grade 11), although it has been under control since grade 8, when i started trampolining, and eventually crossfitting. It went up in grade 9, the year i started crossfit by just a little.

My cardiologist says that I have to just do aerobic cardio to lower my cholesterol, which obviously I have no interest in doing as I know anaerobic work is better for you and I love it much more.

However, I have been doing SS for about a month now and have no intention of stopping just to please my cardiologist, as my strength is something I am loving working on right now. BUT, since I have not been doing any metcons, by the time I hit my appointment in September I am assuming that my cholesterol will be a fair bit higher than it was last year.

My dad asked me earlier today if I have been doing any cardio because he is concerned I am not doing enough, so I just lied and said interval training, threw in some technical terms (biomechanics, kinetic chain, anerobic, etc.) and he seemed to buy it. Yet both my dad and my doctor are going to be very ****ed with me when they see my cholesterol has gone up in september.

My Question: What do I do? I have high LDL, Triglycerides, and low HDL (not exponentially high, but still enough that I have a yearly appointment at Sick Kids Hospital for blood work and stuff), and what do I do to lower/raise them without doing metcons? What food should I eat, etc.?

Also, in the event that I do whatever is suggested and my cholesterol is still higher than last year, how do I explain this to my cardiologist/dad? the former is obviously the harder one to convince.

Any help is appreciated.

- FRANKEL
Old 07-25-2011, 08:44 PM   #2
Eric Montgomery

Profile:
Re: How do I explain my cholesterol going up to dad/doctor?

Cholesterol is going to be mostly dependent on your diet--as long as you aren't eating a lot of processed crap you should be fine. What has your typical diet looked like lately? What did it look like in the past when you were diagnosed with high cholesterol?

Do you take fish oil and Vitamin D3? They tend to help normalize cholesterol levels as well as doing a lot of other good things.
Old 07-25-2011, 09:02 PM   #3
Daniel Frankel

Profile:

I actually have fish oil in my fridge all the time, but have been forgetting to take it for the past 2 months. Im ignorant that way. I just went and had 2 teaspoons, usually I would have 1-2 a day.

And right now Im just trying to ingest calories because of SS, and because I want to gain a bit of weight. I'm a skinny-*** kid right now :P

Heres what I had today:

Breakfast:
1 1/2 cup of cereal w/a lot of milk

Snack:
Nature valley bar
Plum
piece of lemon cake/loaf

Lunch:
Roast Beef sandwich (not as much meat as I would have liked though, but my mom packs my lunch so I cant complain )
Pear

Snack:
Fudgesicle
Salad w/cheese and bacon bits

Dinner:
Pancakes, like 8-9 of those mini ones you make with the batter
Fruit that was cooked and poured over the pancakes
500-750ml of milk (cannot remember if i had 2 or 3 glasses)

I am going now to have some bread + peanut butter.

Also, my parents only drink skim milk because of the saturated fat link to cholesterol and its reduced amoutn in skim, so I dont get as many calories as I could from milk, but no big deal.

I think my issue right now is:
a) not enough veggies
b) have not been taking fish oil
c) too many carbs

Also, will Vitamin D have D3 in it? or do I specifically needto get D3?
Old 07-25-2011, 09:04 PM   #4
Daniel Frankel

Profile:

When I was diagnosed? Lots of junk food. I was a picky eater, and did literally NO physical activity whatsoever. At the worst, triglycerides hit 13 something, and LDL was unreadable because of how high my choelsterol was.

I have been trying to ffind my records from the last time I got blood work done (last september) for awhile as my coach was interested in it, but I will probably end up having a nother blood test (this sept.) before that happens..
Old 07-25-2011, 09:13 PM   #5
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

I see a lot of processed foods in your diet. Those could definitely be contributing to high cholesterol especially if you're predisposed to it. I understand you're doing SS and trying to get in a bunch of calories but you can still make them quality foods as much as possible. Cereal+milk for breakfast isn't a good start--get some eggs and bacon and oatmeal in there. That's followed by a Nature Valley bar and lemon cake--more bad stuff. Your next snack includes a fudgesicle. "Dinner" was a carb bomb with no protein aside from what was in the milk. Not trying to blast you here, but do you see a trend with what you're eating?

Meat, eggs, fruits, vegetables, dense carbs like sweet potatoes and unsweetened oats, nuts, good oils like olive oil and coconut oil. That's what you should be eating in large quantities on a daily basis. And skim milk is worse for you than whole milk, but I doubt you're going to win that argument with your parents.

Vitamin D3 is different than Vitamin D. It should still be pretty cheap, like this site (WFS) where you can get a year's supply of 5000 IU per day for $15.
Old 07-25-2011, 09:35 PM   #6
Daniel Frankel

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery View Post
I see a lot of processed foods in your diet. Those could definitely be contributing to high cholesterol especially if you're predisposed to it. I understand you're doing SS and trying to get in a bunch of calories but you can still make them quality foods as much as possible. Cereal+milk for breakfast isn't a good start--get some eggs and bacon and oatmeal in there. That's followed by a Nature Valley bar and lemon cake--more bad stuff. Your next snack includes a fudgesicle. "Dinner" was a carb bomb with no protein aside from what was in the milk. Not trying to blast you here, but do you see a trend with what you're eating?

Meat, eggs, fruits, vegetables, dense carbs like sweet potatoes and unsweetened oats, nuts, good oils like olive oil and coconut oil. That's what you should be eating in large quantities on a daily basis. And skim milk is worse for you than whole milk, but I doubt you're going to win that argument with your parents.

Vitamin D3 is different than Vitamin D. It should still be pretty cheap, like this site (WFS) where you can get a year's supply of 5000 IU per day for $15.
Okay, I think I understand. I was on an oatmeal fix for awhile, but somehow fell out of it. I have 3 eggs twice a week (dietician said no more than 6 a week unless i am having whites), and will attempt to switch over completely to oatmeal again (out of curiosity, what makes it better than cereal? the fact that theres no extra sugar in it?). I think the hardest part for me is lunch, as my mom usually ends up packing it for me without me even asking her ( ), but ill attempt to just get in more meats, veggies, and keep up with fruits. for dinner, Ill try to go cleaner, less processed, etc.

On a side note, my rents wont buy bacon because they are afraid of the fat, and say it will raise my cholesterol (not sure if it will or not, never done the research and hneither have they). I know a lot of people advocate bacon here on the boards, what exactly are the benefits/cons to eating it, and how much is too much in a week?

On a second side note, coconut oil/olive oil are used for cooking? So instead of putting butter in a pan when I make eggs I put olive/coconut oil?
Old 07-25-2011, 09:46 PM   #7
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Plain oatmeal has one ingredient: rolled oats. Excess sugar in cereal and all the other stuff I pointed out can definitely play a part in elevated cholesterol. You still want to be having some kind of protein source with it, so if you're being forced to limit your eggs see if you can get ahold of some whey protein to mix in with it.

No, the fat in bacon isn't anything to worry about in terms of your cholesterol but again, that's probably not an argument you're going to win with your parents.

Olive oil isn't the best choice for cooking because heating it does bad things to it, but coconut oil makes a great cooking oil and (depending on the brand) is usually good to eat by itself. Olive oil is good for dense calories and adds flavor to foods.
Old 07-25-2011, 10:16 PM   #8
Daniel Frankel

Profile:

Oh how I wish I had my own place.

Thanks a lot Eric, I'll definitely keep what you said in mind, and if I remember I'll give an update in september when I get my results.

Lastly, what are your views on greek yogurt?
Old 07-25-2011, 10:29 PM   #9
Ted Apollo

Profile:

all of eric's advice is solid.

i would definitely increase your 'good' cholesterol intake. try adding an avocado a day into your diet. you can mix it in a salad, eat them in a sandwich, or just eat them raw.

like you said this is genetic and there isn't much you can do about it.

adding in some interval sprint work wouldn't really hurt your linear strength gains. sprint work actually helps you condition your nervous system to fire off rapidly.
Old 07-26-2011, 12:17 AM   #10
Veronica Carpenter

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Frankel View Post
I actually have fish oil in my fridge all the time, but have been forgetting to take it for the past 2 months. Im ignorant that way. I just went and had 2 teaspoons, usually I would have 1-2 a day.

And right now Im just trying to ingest calories because of SS, and because I want to gain a bit of weight. I'm a skinny-*** kid right now :P

Heres what I had today:

Breakfast:
1 1/2 cup of cereal w/a lot of milk

Snack:
Nature valley bar
Plum
piece of lemon cake/loaf

Lunch:
Roast Beef sandwich (not as much meat as I would have liked though, but my mom packs my lunch so I cant complain )
Pear

Snack:
Fudgesicle
Salad w/cheese and bacon bits

Dinner:
Pancakes, like 8-9 of those mini ones you make with the batter
Fruit that was cooked and poured over the pancakes
500-750ml of milk (cannot remember if i had 2 or 3 glasses)

I am going now to have some bread + peanut butter.

Also, my parents only drink skim milk because of the saturated fat link to cholesterol and its reduced amoutn in skim, so I dont get as many calories as I could from milk, but no big deal.

I think my issue right now is:
a) not enough veggies
b) have not been taking fish oil
c) too many carbs

Also, will Vitamin D have D3 in it? or do I specifically needto get D3?
Pretty much what is in red needs to be out. When you look at what's left it's mostly fruit. You could stand to limiting your fruit and up'ing your protein.

Increased LDL is often a function of too many carbs. You already know you're getting too many carbs. My own cholesterol went down when I was eating lowcarb paleo. Might consider that, although don't tell your doc or nutritionist. They'll probably think you're crazy.