CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 11-04-2013, 02:36 PM   #701
Dare Vodusek

Profile:
Re: Conjugate CF article

Sorry, im just a novince at this strenght training and did not know what to do when I hit the plateau today.

How shall I proceed? Deload a bit and then try to do 2 more single lifts or just stop with the exercise?
Old 11-04-2013, 06:56 PM   #702
Robert Fabsik

Profile:

If you are following a conjugate program, ideally you don't deload but change lifts when you get stale.

Also keep in mind, you want to hit your max for the day. So if you are having a bad day, you might not set your all time PR but still need to hit 3-4 reps in that 90% plus range.

In regards to using a mixed grip for the deadlift, if you are over 170lbs, I'd recommend not using a mixed grip until you can deadlift at least doublebodyweight. Try to use the regular prontated grip as much as possible. Build the grip strength. Mixed grip puts your spine and biceps at more risk. Once you start hitting double bodyweight, then use the mixed grip on your heaviest sets only, for me that's around 90% or more.
Old 11-04-2013, 07:18 PM   #703
Chris Mason

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dare Vodusek View Post
No, I'll give it a go. Is it advisable to alternate mixed grip? First right hand facing forward, then left, etc? Or is it ok to always use same hand to face forward as that will not cause any muscle imbalance?
Don't worry about it. You can alternate if you like, but 99% of lifters don't bother.
Old 11-05-2013, 01:18 AM   #704
Dare Vodusek

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Fabsik View Post
If you are following a conjugate program, ideally you don't deload but change lifts when you get stale.

Also keep in mind, you want to hit your max for the day. So if you are having a bad day, you might not set your all time PR but still need to hit 3-4 reps in that 90% plus range.
Sorry, did not really mean a deaload, but to just lower the weight a bit and do a couple of more reps for that day. Maybe lower it for a few pounds, hit that weight, then take a nice rest and try attacking the failed weight again?

Quote:
if you are over 170lbs
No, Im skinny , 5.9 and 163lbs.
Old 11-05-2013, 07:19 AM   #705
Robert Fabsik

Profile:

I'd keep working on grip then and save the mixed grip for those last sets only if you have trouble holding on to the bar.

I'd approach my max effort work as follows if my previous PR was 100,

My first work set would be 90-92.5.
If it went up easy, hit 95-100.
If that went up easy hit 102-105 and then be done.

If 90-92.5 was tough, I might hit 95. If it felt better go for 102-105. If it felt tough hit another 95 or 97.5. And then maybe one more single.
Old 11-05-2013, 09:40 AM   #706
Chris Mason

Profile:

Quote:
Sorry, did not really mean a deaload, but to just lower the weight a bit and do a couple of more reps for that day. Maybe lower it for a few pounds, hit that weight, then take a nice rest and try attacking the failed weight again?

No, Im skinny , 5.9 and 163lbs.
Try gaining some weight, that will help your press.
Old 11-06-2013, 03:02 PM   #707
Dare Vodusek

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Mason View Post
Try gaining some weight, that will help your press.
I'd love that, but I only wanna gain lean muscle.
I've heard one can only gain about 3-4 kilos (6-8lbs) of pure lean muscle yearly, if thats true, its gonna take me a couple of year :/
Old 11-06-2013, 05:23 PM   #708
Sean Dunston

Profile:

Quote:
I've heard one can only gain about 3-4 kilos (6-8lbs) of pure lean muscle yearly, if thats true, its gonna take me a couple of year :/
first of all, I don't know where you "heard" that, but whoever said it is wrong.
it is probably closer to 1-2 pounds per month, conservatively speaking.
you're 5'9" and 163#. you need to EAT! EAT, then eat a lot more.!
how do you propose to only gain lean muscle? how about you spend a year where the first 7-8 months are focused on lifting heavy and putting on about 30# of bodyweight, then spend the remaining time trimming up a bit?

in a year you could easily be 185# and not "skinny", not fat, but definitely a bit more solid.
Old 11-06-2013, 07:02 PM   #709
Chris Mason

Profile:

Quote:
How much you can gain is HUGELY dependent on your unique heredity AND where you are in terms of your relative level of development when compared to your genetic limits. If you are relatively undeveloped you can add a large amount of muscle very quickly.
Old 11-07-2013, 02:04 AM   #710
Dare Vodusek

Profile:

Sean and Chris, there is also one minor problem I forgot to mention earlier. My BF is too high! Somewhere in the area of 15-17% which is too much. I guess im one of those skinny fat guys I want to get in the area ~10% because of its health benefits. So my goal is to loose fat, gain muscle and increase strenght.

I currently eat 3000kcal on my workout days and ~2200 on rest days. According to "many" sources this should be about right. I am gaining strenght and seem to loose BF but at a very small rate. Its a long process, I know.

I could up the calories and most likely gain muscle+fat, but that would push me even further from my 10% bf goal. And I also know I could "starve" for a month to get my BF down to 10% and then build from there, but I also dont want to do that. 1 month of strenght training lost because of "starving" is not what I wanna do 3 months before the open.

I hope you dont get me as a person that contradicts everything others suggests, I do value your replies very much!