CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 01-27-2011, 01:49 PM   #221
Jeff Stanek

Profile:
Re: Conjugate CF article

Honestly, it doesn't look like you're doing enough assistance work, or not making it heavy enough to have an effect. Do you train with a partner to really push you?

Also, what did your body weight do throughout? If you stayed the same or lost weight, I'd be concerned about your diet and not eating enough. Conjugate is about getting brutally strong- and weight will need to go up with it.

I'm going to try a modified conjugate method starting next month and I'll be using a CFT before/after to compare.
Old 01-27-2011, 02:38 PM   #222
Erich Anderson

Profile:

i've always been stupidly skinny. body composition definitely changed...bicep isn't just round but actually defined. Pants fit a bit tighter in the posterior. Chest a bit more defined. I'd say I walk around at 5-8% body fat. When i ate like **** in college, it was measured at 10.5%. About 6 months ago it was measured at 4.5% but i don't believe that handheld device.

I may have gained like 2 pounds? Started at about 165 and at the Dr. the other day i was 171 (With shoes and cellphone/wallet). I eat. Dont worry about that . I would say i average at LEAST 150g of protein a day and 3/4 a gallon of whole milk, along with a paleo-influenced diet (no grains, few legumes, lots of meat and veggies, lots of dairy).
Old 01-27-2011, 02:40 PM   #223
Erich Anderson

Profile:

[quote=Jeff Stanek;896802]Honestly, it doesn't look like you're doing enough assistance work, or not making it heavy enough to have an effect. Do you train with a partner to really push you?

i'm the skunkworks test pilot at my gym. I don't think they want me dragging anyone else into the darkness - so the answer is no training partner. most assitance work was done to burnout or very close.
Old 01-27-2011, 04:12 PM   #224
Robert Fabsik

Profile:

Erich,
I agree with Jeff, I think you need more assistance work to be consistent with the Conjugate Method. Remember ME is to build absolute strength, DE is to build speed and assistant work is to fix the weaknesses and build muscle so that ME can go up.

Either follow a stricter Conjugate model or add in some CF WODs that hit the areas needed for a Upper vs. Lower Day.

I do a bastardized version of Conjugate with CF WODs. I have ME Upper, ME Lower, DE Upper and DE Lower. On each day, the ME and DE work is just like Westside, followed by 4-6 sets of specific assistance work and then a full CF WOD. If the CF WOD is quick, I'll add in more assistance work.

-Bob
Old 01-27-2011, 07:37 PM   #225
Adam Carlson

Profile:

Yesterday I found out how much of a difference having a belt can make when you squat

Tried to hit 270# (last week I hit 265#), and it didn't go on my first try. Saw my school's really old leather belt, put it on, felt great, got the weight on my shoulders, it felt light, and then proceeded to break the belt at the bottom of the squat. Missed the lift. Found a different belt, and not only did I hit 270# easy, I hit 280# without problems, and I almost got 290# to go. I passed on 290# since the pressure building up from the belt felt weird, which I mainly attribute to not having used them before.

Wish I had tried this sooner
Old 01-27-2011, 08:30 PM   #226
Matt Haxmeier

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Carlson View Post
Yesterday I found out how much of a difference having a belt can make when you squat

Tried to hit 270# (last week I hit 265#), and it didn't go on my first try. Saw my school's really old leather belt, put it on, felt great, got the weight on my shoulders, it felt light, and then proceeded to break the belt at the bottom of the squat. Missed the lift. Found a different belt, and not only did I hit 270# easy, I hit 280# without problems, and I almost got 290# to go. I passed on 290# since the pressure building up from the belt felt weird, which I mainly attribute to not having used them before.

Wish I had tried this sooner
A month ago my belt broke during a heavy deadlift. Before that I always used my belt for heavy squats and deads. Since then I have PR'd my Squat on two different occasions at 350 and 360, and PR'd my deadlift at 400 and 410 and even an OHS at 225 (With no belt).

It is mentally helpful and a bit better for stabilizing but let's not get people thinking that using a belt gives you a strength boost again. strong with a belt=strong without a belt too.

Last edited by Matt Haxmeier : 01-27-2011 at 08:32 PM.
Old 01-27-2011, 09:47 PM   #227
Chris Mason

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erich Anderson View Post
the microcyles - 3 week waves.

example week

day 1 - DE lower 9 x 2 banded box squat @ 50%
7x1 deadlifts @ 50%
10 minute AMRAP
5 Jumping lunges, 10 air squats, 20 double unders (got 10 rounds)

day 2 - ME Upper bench w/ doubled red jump stretch bands, worked up to 72kgs
JM press 31kg 2x12
purple band tricep pulldown 2x12
hanging ring rows 2 x 12
reverse hpyer on ghd w/ red band 3x10

rest/stretch day 3

day 4 - ME Lower worked up to 67kg banded box squat
3x5 deficiet deadlifts @ 70, 75, 80kg
3x6 box jumps @ ~36 inches
2x20 back extension
day 5 - DE Upper 8x3 bench 51kgs w/ doubled reds
- WOD of
45kg HPC x 3
parellete push ups x 8
ring rows x 10
butterfly pull ups x 4 (just learning these) 6 rounds in 13 minutes

2x12 ghd sit ups

day 6 and 7 i would ski (sat sun)
Here is the thing, I don't think you will see much progress following a full Westside style routine PLUS WODs. It is simply too much and I am not surprised you didn't get much bigger or stronger.

What do you want from your training?
Old 01-27-2011, 09:49 PM   #228
Troy Becker

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Mason View Post
Here is the thing, I don't think you will see much progress following a full Westside style routine PLUS WODs. It is simply too much and I am not surprised you didn't get much bigger or stronger.

What do you want from your training?
I do believe that's why you came up with your program and wrote an article about it...
Old 01-27-2011, 10:23 PM   #229
Chris Mason

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy Becker View Post
I do believe that's why you came up with your program and wrote an article about it...
Could be...
Old 01-27-2011, 11:22 PM   #230
Erich Anderson

Profile:

Goal : Maintain metcon conditioning while improving squat to low 300's. I worked hard to get to where I am conditioning wise and I'm ok with not improving it, but i'd like to not lose it again

I was really stoked with the progress my box squats were making (47kg, ~56, ~67kg all with bands, can't remember exact numbers off the top of my head) and i definitely feel the difference in the little things, like climbing stairs, that the added hip strength gave me. I'm just bummed it didn't transfer to my free squat. I'd probably say it had to do with not being prepared/conditioned for that kind of heavy weight on my back and a weak core.