CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 01-26-2014, 11:54 AM   #1
Klæmint Vagadal

Profile:
Strenght one month, cardio the other

Due to the nature of my job, I can't train heavy OL lifts when I'm at Work, which is every other month. I can train snatches, cleans, and the split jerk, but the sealing is too low for me to stand up with the weight.

But, during this time, I can make huge improvements on my cardio. I have lots of time to Work out (twice, or thrice a day, I need be). I'm thinking about planning my training a bit ahead, so that when I'm at Work, my focus is on cardio, and when home (one month), my focus is on becoming stronger in the OL lifts, while maintaining some of my cardio.

I do, however, have the possibilities to squats and bench, but not too heavy. Probably enough to maintain my strenght, or even build slowly.

How would you Guys plan such a Schedule? How many WOD's should I keep, while at home? Should I go heavy on volume while at Work?

All input is welcome.
Old 01-31-2014, 04:05 AM   #2
Josh Turnpike

Profile:
Re: Strenght one month, cardio the other

Sounds like a great way to spin your wheels.
Old 01-31-2014, 06:27 AM   #3
Robert Fabsik

Profile:
Re: Strenght one month, cardio the other

Changing focus from month to month is very reasonable. But, I wouldn't do it to extremes. Strength is the foundation, so I'm make sure each block/cycle has a solid strength component and then fluctuate the cardio/metcons based on the goal of the block/cycle.

If you give us a peek of your programming, more folks might voice support or critique.

If you mean run in the AM, row or bike in the evening on your work month and do an Oly program on the off months, I think as Josh suggested you'd be spinning your wheels. Think of having each month build off the last. So when in a cardio cycle, do enough strength to maintain at the very least.