CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 02-06-2010, 10:25 PM   #1
Carlos Armas

Profile:
One month into Zone/Paleo - Thoughts thus far...

Hey Everyone,

So I started Zone/Paleo about a month ago with strict measurements and a 19P/10C/46F adjusted Zone Block allotment. The first week I was doing some strict measuring and weighing and it was pretty frustrating but useful. I found that after this first week, I was sort of able to eyeball my meals (eat a lot of the same stuff day by day) and maintain my desired Zone portions of 19P/10C/46F by just eyeballing. I'm 24 years old, 6'0", and started at 194lbs. I'm currently at 189lbs, 13-14% bodyfat, and feel stronger! I'm competing in NorthEast Sectionals come March 27 so I have been ramping up my workouts lately. I am training 5 days a week with three two-a-days mixed in (8 total sessions). I am also assuring 8 hours of sleep a night and my body feels good with no fatigue. One problem: lately I find myself starving at all times. All I could think about when I'm not working out is food! The 19P/10C/46F breakdown is just not enough for my appetite. This should be common considering the intensity of my training regimen. I was considering using a 2x or 3x fat multiplier to up my fat intake, hoping it will keep me satisfied throughout the day. I was also considering dropping the Zone and just doing strict Paleo. What worries me about this is that I may go crazy and eat way too much. I just wanted to check and see if anyone had some good advice? Should I consider increasing my carb intake as well? What will work best to keep me full? I still have some fat to shed and would like to lean out a bit more, perhaps to 10-11% so I do not want to hamper fat burning. Thanks for listening everyone.
Old 02-06-2010, 10:48 PM   #2
Eric Montgomery

Profile:
Re: One month into Zone/Paleo - Thoughts thus far...

It is very possible to continue to lean out and see performance gains with an unweighed, unmeasured, low-ish carb Paleo diet. Eat when you're hungry and stop when you're not and you'll have a very hard time overeating if you're going with Paleo choices.

Without bumping fat up to 2x, 3x, or 5x, Zone just isn't enough calories to sustain muscle recovery and growth for an active person. 8 workouts a week puts you in the very active category. And if you're prepping for sectionals, bodyfat percentage would be one of the least important numbers I would track. Bodyfat might be correlated with performance, but by itself it's not causative of a stronger deadlift or better metcon capacity.

As for carb intake, 10C is reasonable by the standards Robb Wolf and Mark's Daily Apple put out. You may want to eat a few more on your two a days (and possibly eat 1/2 or more of your daily carbs after your first workout) to help replace muscle glycogen prior to the second workout, but give a few things a try and see what works for you.
Old 02-07-2010, 12:16 AM   #3
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

What Eric said. If you're training for a major event, bf% should be one of the last numbers you worry about.

If you're always hungry, eat more.

Katherine
Old 02-07-2010, 08:50 AM   #4
Christie Warner

Profile:

Eric has some great advice...I just wanted to add that as long as you are staying away from wheat, sugar, and corn, it'd be HARD to store much body fat...even if you are in a bit of a calorie surplus at times. But eating Paleo certainly helps with not overeating with the fat and protein. If you are considering dropping Zone, I would agree with that. I think it's a great tool, but one that should not be maintained for a long period of time. Eat for your performance, choose your foods wisely, and I'd say you're good to go.

When I breastfeed my child soon, I'm going to maintain a higher caloric intake than I normally would, but I'm not going to eat anything with wheat, sugar, or corn. I suspect the pregger weight will still come off. I've tried increasing my caloric intake before with Paleo and if anything, you'll gain muscle rather than fat. But you'd have to eat A LOT.

Last edited by Christie Warner : 02-07-2010 at 09:06 AM.
Old 02-07-2010, 10:27 AM   #5
Carlos Armas

Profile:

Awesome pointers! I think I'm just gonna take the unmeasured and unweighed Paleo route (eat till I'm satisfied). I'm pretty sure I will unconsciously keep my macronutrient ratio balanced due to my practice of the Zone diet over the last month. I'll just disregard the 19 block cap on my food intake and eat good quality foods until my belly is happy. Thanks everyone!
Old 02-08-2010, 10:36 AM   #6
Chad Ryan

Profile:

Carlos - I was in the same boat as you. I dropped about 10 pounds in my first month of a Zone/Paleo diet. However, I started getting more and more hungry with my 19 blocks and I was pretty happy with my body composition at that time. I finally decided to just go Paleo and I upped my protein and fat intake and reduced my carbs some (less fruit). I lost another couple pounds the next week...LOL

I have now been doing paleo for 2 weeks and I love it. I am less hungry and I feel my performance in wods have increased.
Old 02-15-2010, 10:32 PM   #7
Ryan Gregory

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Ryan View Post
Carlos - I was in the same boat as you. I dropped about 10 pounds in my first month of a Zone/Paleo diet. However, I started getting more and more hungry with my 19 blocks and I was pretty happy with my body composition at that time. I finally decided to just go Paleo and I upped my protein and fat intake and reduced my carbs some (less fruit). I lost another couple pounds the next week...LOL

I have now been doing paleo for 2 weeks and I love it. I am less hungry and I feel my performance in wods have increased.

hey there,
i've been doing some research, and haven't come across what i'm looking for yet, so maybe somone can shed some light. I have a basic understanding of paleo (can't pick or kill it, you don't eat it), and zone (healthy foods, broken into blocks)...while I haven't done them yet, i'm looking at changing my diet up...but I want to know, what is te paleo-zone diet??

...and if someone doesn't mind doing a quick 1 liner about what to expect (I know it depends on the person...in general) from each diet, it'd be appreciated... Ex. Starting strength-eating lots, drinking llots of milk, sleep lots. Gain strength and size normally at the expense of some body fat. Often conditioing suffers somewhat.

thanks so much!!
Old 02-16-2010, 08:12 AM   #8
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Gregory View Post
but I want to know, what is te paleo-zone diet??

...and if someone doesn't mind doing a quick 1 liner about what to expect (I know it depends on the person...in general) from each diet, it'd be appreciated... Ex. Starting strength-eating lots, drinking llots of milk, sleep lots. Gain strength and size normally at the expense of some body fat. Often conditioing suffers somewhat.

thanks so much!!
Paleo-Zone is just Paleo foods in Zone macronutrient proportions. It's a good way to be precise with your food intake, but for most people isn't necessary if you're eating Paleo.

Let's see, a 1 liner on each...
Paleo: focuses on food quality and eating in line with your evolutionary profile; can fix all sorts of autoimmunity problems (look into all the health problems caused by gluten, lectins, and phytates) and make you feel and sleep much better; don't have to worry about weighing and measuring so you eat when you're hungry and stop when you're full
Zone: allows more precision but doesn't require quality food, so no chance of solving autoimmune problems; weighing and measuring is tedious and a pain in the ***; the science behind the magical 40/30/30 ratio is shaky or nonexistent and 40% carbs is far too many for most people; is a caloric deficit diet at its base ratios so you'll be hungry

Bottom line, a lot of people on here (myself included) have tried Zone then moved on to Paleo and been far happier doing so. Zone is an unnecessary hassle if you're eating quality foods.
Old 02-16-2010, 08:34 AM   #9
Brian Bedell

Profile:

Eric, you have substantially more patience then I.

OP, I feel as though you are the same as most of us on here, slightly neurotic about training and eating! lol. I would just make sure you are eating ENOUGH if doing unWAM. With us crazy cf'ers I think that the WAM is just as important to ensure we eat enough, as to judge if we eat too much. Make sure you are getting all your protein especially. Good luck at sectionals.
Old 02-16-2010, 08:57 AM   #10
Leonid Soubbotine

Profile:

Double your Protein blocks. You can also drop your CHO blocks by half - it won't make any difference in energy at all, but will lean you out further even with added Protein.

To give you an idea - I'm 6'3 @ 198 lbs & if I was to translate my breakdowns into blocks it would come down to:

42-52 PRO/ 2-4 CHO/ 36-53 Fat (using the 3 g of fat per block)

Average about 3000 cals/day.

With two a day training & upcoming competition I wouldn't try to do unweighed Paleo due to difficulty of getting those 40-50 blocks of protein necessary to recover/improve.