CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 11-23-2003, 09:20 PM   #1
Nicholas John Nakis

Profile:  
I just got on here for the first time and I realize I posted what must sound like a really stupid question in the nutrition area.

I'm not doing the WOD's yet, mainly cause I don't have access to most of the equipment. But i'm intrigued and excited by the crossfit philosophy. Since I first discovered this page a few weeks ago, I've been varying my workouts, doing higher intensity work, and several new exercises that I've picked up here. I have to say I'm having more fun working out and feeling great.

I'm screaming for advice on nutrition (what diets have you folks been most succesful with?), and on easing into the WOD (what are good substitute exercises? How can I jury-rig equipment?). So help me out.

Thanks to Gary Yetter for telling me about CrossFit, you're the bombest guy I know... (dude!)
Old 11-23-2003, 10:21 PM   #2
David Werner

Profile:
Nicholas

The question wasn't stupid, but it did point out that you hadn't yet absorbed the whole site.

Coach has developed an approach to fitness that works extremely well, but it is quite a bit different from the standard stuff you are used to hearing. Do yourself a favour and give carefull consideration to the entire package - I promise it's worth the time. You will get best results if you reconsider all of your fitness habits.

If you haven't already, print out and study the "Crossfits Foundations" and "What is Fitness" articles. Follow the "What is crossfit" link on the main page to find them. They will also start to address the nutrition question. Read through the archives on the nutrition message board and buy Barry Sears' book "the Omega Zone".

Welcome aboard

David Werner
Crossfit North
Old 11-23-2003, 10:39 PM   #3
Jay Edvardz

Profile:

Nicholas,

I agree with David's suggestion about purchasing "The Omega Zone." If money allows, I would also pick up NHE (Natural Hormonal Enhancement - www.extique.com) and Neanderthin (I am sure a lot of people on the board would/will suggest The Paleo Diet as THE book on paleolithic nutrition. However, being the rebel that I am :crazy: I consider The Paleo Diet far too politically correct).

I started Crossfit well over a month ago and have not looked back. All of the guys and gals on the board are absoutely fantastic. Hell, they are damn near perfect; they've put up with me this long, after all :proud:

-Jay
Old 11-24-2003, 05:34 AM   #4
Lynne Pitts

Profile:
Nicholas, the Crossfit FAQ has some info on substitute exercises and making some equipment; see if that helps.
Regards,
Lynne
Old 11-24-2003, 07:28 AM   #5
Ryan Atkins

Profile:
Nicholas,

Besides The Zone and NHE, the Protein Power Lifeplan by the Eades doctors is, I feel another valid approach to the diet issue. In addition to Lynne's excellent FAQ, you can also find information on this message board by reading the old posts. Simply type in whatever subject you're interested in into the search function located at the top of this page.

Hope this helps, Welcome to Crossfit.

-Ryan
Old 11-24-2003, 10:13 AM   #6
Brian Mulvaney

Profile:
Welcome Nicholas.

The current issue of the CrossFit Journal is all about nutrition. It's a blockbuster and includes a terrific bibliography. This one alone is worth the annual subscription. Of course I think I've said that about every issue so far.

Brian
Old 11-25-2003, 09:46 AM   #7
Gunther

Profile:  
Hi Nicholas,

I do not have most equipment either. I also do not have the space for it. But that des not stop me from doing crossfit workouts and I really benefit from it.
for example, the rowing machine, If it says for example 2000 m row I divide the number by 10 and do some exercises that resembles the movement a bit as you use legs and arms.
exercises you can do are eg burpees and push ups,
push ups and squats
or what I do at the moment, I have a lifeline's power wheel, I strap it to my feet and do a tuck roll (roll forward till knees touch chest and straight the legs again and than perform a push up and I combine these with atlas push ups (push ups between chairs) so like the 2000 meter row that would for me be 100 push ups and ab wheel ex and 100 atlas push ups. (do it in as many sets as you need to or want to).

this month's workout starts eg with deadlift. As I do not have heavy weights I use a dumbell hold it overhead and do the windmill, followed by push ups the same number so eg 21 windmills 21 push ups etc)

You can make heavy weight easy and cheap (I want to do that soon also), buy an army duffel bag and buy at a store some sands (over here a 25 kg bag costs EUR 1.99) so you can have for example a 100 kg weight for almost 8 euro's and the money for a duffel bag, that isa cheaper then a barbell set and you can do the same exercises like deadlifts, cleans etc with it.

I know you asked about nutritional advice but others can answer that one better then me, I just wanted to let you know to use your imagination and you can have the same tremndous workout.

Take care and just start using it, you won't regret. I was also a few month ago wondering if I should start, now I did and I feel better than ever.
Old 11-25-2003, 10:10 AM   #8
David Werner

Profile:
Gunther

Thats awesome, you have the exact right aproach. Good post.

Dave