CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 04-03-2009, 10:52 AM   #1
Mike Kerce

Profile:
Help me out, fellow CrossFit brethren...

so i bought the POSE running book and a pair of Puma H-Streets...the book is in and i've started reading it, the shoes are not. the shoes i have right now are very inadequate, as is my running technique (i literally can't run a 400m straight thru)...i've been trying to keep up with the running in the recent WODs (seems like there's been a bunch lately) but i'm getting shin splints and I worry that i'm taking steps back rather than forward. the advice i would like from you is: if it were you, would you tough thru running until you could learn POSE, or would you substitute biking (i unfortunately don't have a row machine,) or, would you just do a different WOD on running days until you could get through the POSE exercises? thanks for any advice you can give!
Old 04-03-2009, 11:31 AM   #2
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:
Re: Help me out, fellow CrossFit brethren...

Don't run with shin splints. It will make them worse. (This is recent experience talking!) Sub something else or do a different WOD.

Katherine
Old 04-03-2009, 11:31 AM   #3
Ken DaSilva

Profile:

I'm not POSE running, yet, so I can't really give advice, but I did want to say that I love your sig!

I'm very interested in other ppl's answers though because I will soon be adding POSE running.
Old 04-03-2009, 12:25 PM   #4
Brian Bedell

Profile:

You should not run with shin splints, but you should not exacerbate any injury.

Regarding POSE, it is not an ez transition. It is something that you will have to practice, do the drills, etc. I would recommend doing these separate from your wod. Sprinting with your new POSE skills and doing things for time will only cause you to lose whatever POSE technique you do have. You need to learn to do it slow, and then build up the speed. For me, it is even hard to keep the technique on a 5K; on a 400m or less almost impossible. It takes lotsa practice.

The new shoes will def. make it easier. I have VFF, you literally can't run on your heels. Practice barefoot would be my suggestion, on the beach if possible. You will get shin pain, and calf soreness when learning this and switching shoes. Embrace it!

Keep at it.
Old 04-03-2009, 12:38 PM   #5
Mike Kerce

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Bedell View Post
You should not run with shin splints, but you should not exacerbate any injury.

Regarding POSE, it is not an ez transition. It is something that you will have to practice, do the drills, etc. I would recommend doing these separate from your wod. Sprinting with your new POSE skills and doing things for time will only cause you to lose whatever POSE technique you do have. You need to learn to do it slow, and then build up the speed. For me, it is even hard to keep the technique on a 5K; on a 400m or less almost impossible. It takes lotsa practice.

The new shoes will def. make it easier. I have VFF, you literally can't run on your heels. Practice barefoot would be my suggestion, on the beach if possible. You will get shin pain, and calf soreness when learning this and switching shoes. Embrace it!

Keep at it.
great info! appreciate it! i knew it would take time just didn't know how to adjust in the meantime. i have a cardiovascular (breathing) issue with running too, so i need to run to work through that, but i need to learn POSE to avoid injury! i will start doing POSE exercises in addition to WOD and just subbing runs until my shins get better. thanks for the info...i'm also going to look into VFF as i've had them recommended several times.
Old 04-03-2009, 09:00 PM   #6
Emily Maisannes

Profile:

Agree with the others. Running on shin splints only makes them much worse. The pain will not go away until you rest.

I always had shin splints and even gave myself stress fractures at two times in my life. The first time I found a solution, I went to a running store nearby and they actually fitted me for a shoe that corrected my stride.

Then I found VFFs. I have zero shin pain in them.
Old 04-03-2009, 09:32 PM   #7
Joseph Woods

Profile:

I don't mean to hi-jack this thread, but my wife has really bad shin splints. She's been subbing, but even when she subs, or does jumping pull ups or burpees, they hurt. Should she not do anything that hurts them, or just not run and do everything else. I'm fairly new to shin splints, never had them myself. I've been researching POSE, and we're going to start working on it. In the mean time, should she just rest until her current pain goes away, or just grit her teeth and go?
Old 04-04-2009, 07:17 AM   #8
John C Corona

Profile:

I dont think anyone should work thru that type of pain, just stay off of it as much as it sucks. When the pain subsides and you can do small hops on the balls of your feet, then maybe it's time for the POSE drills and/or some jump rope. Here's the journal video showing Jocelyn going thru some drills: http://journal.crossfit.com/2009/03/...es-jocelyn.tpl

Here's some POSE drills for those that dont have a book: http://www.sportsinjurybulletin.com/...technique.html

It's all about posture, slight lean forward, and pulling that foot off the ground quickly.
Old 04-04-2009, 07:43 AM   #9
Emily Maisannes

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Woods View Post
I don't mean to hi-jack this thread, but my wife has really bad shin splints. She's been subbing, but even when she subs, or does jumping pull ups or burpees, they hurt. Should she not do anything that hurts them, or just not run and do everything else. I'm fairly new to shin splints, never had them myself. I've been researching POSE, and we're going to start working on it. In the mean time, should she just rest until her current pain goes away, or just grit her teeth and go?
There is a debate about jumping pull ups and their benefits as compared with shoulder damage, and I think that most agree that it's better to do pull ups scaled with bands or body rows.

Definitely don't just work through the pain. Get fitted for proper shoes or pick up a pair of VFFs. It annoys the **** out of me when I see people selecting a running shoe based on how it feels jumping a little in place and walking around the store. Seriously? How do those movements tell you ANYTHING about how well the shoe will get your body into the correct position for running?