CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 02-06-2009, 12:29 AM   #1
Chris Ross

Profile:
strength twice a week

Hi

just wondering if anyone could offer advice on doing a strength program twice a week to supplement BJJ?

I'm looking for something short, that will give me the most bang for buck without overly compromising energy/recovery for BJJ (3xweek).

In my experience BJJ requires:
- strong and coordinated hip extension, and hip flexion.
- grip strength
- lots of upper body pulling movements
- some pushing, mostly in a downwards direction ie. when posturing up in someones guard
- leg drive for passing guard, stacking and driving opponents flat onto their back when they are trying to turn onto their side
- body fixation from head to toe and out to fingertips to prevent being turned over, and to help with pinning

any ideas on suitable exercises. I'm assuming squats and deads would be essential.

cheers!!
Old 02-06-2009, 12:38 AM   #2
Steven Low

Profile:
Re: strength twice a week

Any of the compounds really if you're looking for overall strength:

DLs, squats, Oly, bench, press, dips, pullups, rows. Any work on rings..

Pretty much these and really any variation of those.

Obviously, good idea to keep the volume fairly low and the weights heavy.. 2x5 or 3x3/4x3 or something would probably work well with 2-4 lifts per session depending on how much you have in you.
Old 02-06-2009, 01:28 AM   #3
Chris Ross

Profile:

thanks for the speedy reply steven!

Tell me, are exercises such as: back extensions, hamstring curls (on a ball), planks, knees to elbows, glute ham raises; just a supplement to the compound lifts or do they cover things that the big compounds don't?

eg. would 2 or 3 of the above ever match or exceed what a person could get from one of the major compounds such as a DL eg. back extension + glute ham raise?

Also as far as programming from the list Steven provided, would it be better to perform the same exercises each session (say 2 or 3) or to mix it up?
Old 02-06-2009, 05:14 AM   #4
David Stout

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Ross View Post
thanks for the speedy reply steven!

Tell me, are exercises such as: back extensions, hamstring curls (on a ball), planks, knees to elbows, glute ham raises; just a supplement to the compound lifts or do they cover things that the big compounds don't?

eg. would 2 or 3 of the above ever match or exceed what a person could get from one of the major compounds such as a DL eg. back extension + glute ham raise?

Also as far as programming from the list Steven provided, would it be better to perform the same exercises each session (say 2 or 3) or to mix it up?
Not a direct answer, BUT, Coach Rut has advocated in his recent MEBB routines adding a Posterior Chain Move (P-Chain Move) at the end of each session. See an outline of the 3 day template he's been posting this season here (WFS LINK):

http://coachrut.blogspot.com/2008/11...ine-weeks.html

It would probably be feasible to do something similar at the end of your lifting session, if you feel the need for some added P-Chain Work.
Old 02-06-2009, 05:17 AM   #5
Steven Low

Profile:

Better to go with the compounds. Like David said... add supplemental exercises as necessary, but don't get carried away with them. If you're doing the compounds right then you shouldn't need that much unless you have some really specific weakness.
Old 02-06-2009, 06:30 AM   #6
Chris Ross

Profile:

great, thanks for the answers.

I have a few more Q's:

Does anyone have any info/articles/links they can share regarding the actual bio-mechanics of the back squat and DL?

I'm having trouble understanding how the two differ (aside from the obvious difference in arm use) in terms of which muscles are recruited and how in the torso and lower body.

Also not sure how the hamstrings are involved since the movement against resistance seems to be primarily hip and knee extension. Where do the hammies come into it?

cheers for the info!
Old 02-06-2009, 07:09 AM   #7
Christopher Day

Profile:

Quote:
great, thanks for the answers.

I have a few more Q's:

Does anyone have any info/articles/links they can share regarding the actual bio-mechanics of the back squat and DL?

I'm having trouble understanding how the two differ (aside from the obvious difference in arm use) in terms of which muscles are recruited and how in the torso and lower body.

Also not sure how the hamstrings are involved since the movement against resistance seems to be primarily hip and knee extension. Where do the hammies come into it?

cheers for the info!

To my knowledge, when driving back up from below parallel in a back squat the hamstrings and glutes are the prime movers. Glutes are also the prime mover in a strong deadlift, and pretty much any time the glutes are activated, the hamstrings will be as well.
Old 02-06-2009, 11:55 AM   #8
Steven Low

Profile:

I would suggest buying Starting Strength. It has extensive technique on DL and squat which will help you understand it biomechanically.

As an aside here's Mark Rippetoe's (author of SS above) analysis of the DL (free) in CF journal. wfs

http://library.crossfit.com/free/pdf...ofDeadlift.pdf
Old 02-06-2009, 11:56 AM   #9
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

Starting Strength has your answers

the biggest difference is the squat has a longer range of motion and uses the stretch reflex, the deadlift is shorter and does not use the stretch reflex. A set of deadlifts is really a bunch of singles strung together with little rest
Old 02-06-2009, 01:00 PM   #10
Jacob Cloud

Profile:

Quote:
hamstring curls (on a ball),

Please turn in your man card. Or, as a plea bargain - roundhouse kick whoever taught you this and beg Rip for forgiveness before he drowns you in tofu and soy.