CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 01-27-2009, 08:30 PM   #1
Jerry Mobbs

Profile:
Q for Tucker - Grip Thumbs Round the Bar?

Whilst working out if I have enought airmiles to get from Jakarta to Sydney again for the gymnastics cert...

I was reading the additional info page and noticed that "Grip thumb around the bar" appeared twice.

Is there any reason for a preference for thumbs round the bar?

Thanks

Jerry
Old 01-27-2009, 08:43 PM   #2
Steven Low

Profile:
Re: Q for Tucker - Grip Thumbs Round the Bar?

It's more secure... especially when you're going to be inverting yourself.
Old 01-27-2009, 08:57 PM   #3
Jeff R Tucker

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Mobbs View Post
Whilst working out if I have enought airmiles to get from Jakarta to Sydney again for the gymnastics cert...

I was reading the additional info page and noticed that "Grip thumb around the bar" appeared twice.

Is there any reason for a preference for thumbs round the bar?

Thanks

Jerry

i do not allow anyone to perform moves at the cert without using a thumb grip! it is stronger and much safer for what we perform... no thumb means 15 burpess!

tucker

ps - we will be in Perth the following weekend, how far are you from there?

tuck
Old 01-27-2009, 09:05 PM   #4
Jerry Mobbs

Profile:

Great, Perth is much closer.

But its not advertised on the main site yet?
Old 01-27-2009, 10:03 PM   #5
Jeff R Tucker

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Mobbs View Post
Great, Perth is much closer.

But its not advertised on the main site yet?
we just set it up tonight with Jason Donaldson from Perth... get in contact with him... we will get it on the main site very soon...

cheers!

tucker
Old 01-29-2009, 12:04 PM   #6
Jesse Kodadek

Profile:

I understand the advantages of a thumb grip, and they are encouraged at the affiliate I attend. However, Our pullup bars are also really thick, like 2 or 2.25 inches.

What size bars do you guys use? It feels extremely unnatural to me to use a thumb grip on a bar this size.
Old 01-29-2009, 12:38 PM   #7
Adam Scheiner

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse Kodadek View Post
I understand the advantages of a thumb grip, and they are encouraged at the affiliate I attend. However, Our pullup bars are also really thick, like 2 or 2.25 inches.

What size bars do you guys use? It feels extremely unnatural to me to use a thumb grip on a bar this size.
I feel there is one time....and ONE TIME ONLY when it's ok and maybe even more affective to go thumbless when holding a bar and that is when you are doing pull-ups with an overhand grip (more so for kipping than dead hang). Just my opinion from using various bars from extremely thick (CF Boston's bars, CF Tribes bars, CF CC bars) and extremely thin bars (1.25 inch and one that was probably less)

Last edited by Adam Scheiner : 01-29-2009 at 12:40 PM.
Old 01-29-2009, 05:27 PM   #8
Jeff R Tucker

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse Kodadek View Post

screw that - too big... we use 1 1/8 bars OD for most work

but i have some 2 3/8 inch OD bars out back for fat bar work... but we never invert on them

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Scheiner View Post
I feel there is one time....and ONE TIME ONLY when it's ok and maybe even more affective to go thumbless when holding a bar and that is when you are doing pull-ups with an overhand grip (more so for kipping than dead hang). Just my opinion from using various bars from extremely thick (CF Boston's bars, CF Tribes bars, CF CC bars) and extremely thin bars (1.25 inch and one that was probably less)
sorry to disagree with you... if you know how to use an active and transtional grip and release tension with thumb around the apparatus and hand still over hand and around bar you will tear less often - and your safety goes still increases... it is a grip often used in gymnastics - you wont be allowed to not use your thumb in our gymnastic cert. period!

once you know how to use your thumb properly - it works for yo and also increases grip strength

much love - tuck
Old 01-30-2009, 02:21 AM   #9
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Children with small hands will grip bars that are wide for them with a thumb on top ( which is usually the way female gymnasts grip on the bars. Some grip using an opposed grip, it can be a HUGE argument within the WAG community ).

An opposed grip is what we developed that opposable thumb for. Thumb on top non opposed grip makes sense for parallel bars somewhat. It's not a big deal to me when I stick them on some low parallel bars and they are practising inversion or skin the cats.

Gripping rings we always use the opposed grip and I've never heard or see anyone do it differently ( though I think a gymnast of mine [rec] could not do an opposed grip while in false grip due to some medical condition with his thumb/s and they were waiting till post puberty and his bones fusing to correct it as they were going to have to break the thumb to reallign it-strange, I know ). Gripping on Men's High Bar we always use an opposed grip and I prefer to do my pullups on a Men's HB or a bar of similar width compared to a fat bar.

I did play around with BFK the other day and doing it on the girl's wooden thicker bars with thumb on top or opposed. Not a huge difference and I might have had a better rhythm ( I'm trying to play with arm width and tempo of the rhythm to not get out of it ). Sometimes I transition to thick bars when my hands are getting chewed up or just do them using only my fingers to hold on.

However, I commented probably just to be my obstinate usual self and what I can do. Using the thumb makes more sense, especially when dealing with big people and not us gymnastic oompa loompas.
Old 01-30-2009, 10:28 AM   #10
Adam Scheiner

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff R Tucker View Post

sorry to disagree with you... if you know how to use an active and transtional grip and release tension with thumb around the apparatus and hand still over hand and around bar you will tear less often - and your safety goes still increases... it is a grip often used in gymnastics - you wont be allowed to not use your thumb in our gymnastic cert. period!

once you know how to use your thumb properly - it works for yo and also increases grip strength

much love - tuck
Tucker this is absolute bull****, you are NEVER allowed to disagree with me! I guess this means I will have to switch back to thumb around the bar. BTW how do I work the active thumb grip?

Jerry as a rule of thumb (awful....awful pun) always listen to Tucker, Steven Low, Robert Lowe, or Roger Harllel (sp?) over what I write or anyone esle for that matter when it comes to gymnastics.