CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 11-23-2008, 04:18 PM   #1
Stacy Sells

Profile:
Having to do a split routine

If you were thrown into having to do a M/W/F routine of Chest/Tris, Back/Bi's, and Legs Shoulders (Three exercises per body part, three sets of each exercise, reps are negotiable) how would be the most practical way to go about it. I have to kill about 45 minutes on these each day and do a 1.5 mile run for time. I can do the run before or after lifting and can find ways to break it up, for example Sprint for a minute, Jog for a minute or do it flat out for best time. I know this isn't ideal but it's what I have to do for now. How can I make the best gains on this type of program. I have posted below what I have come up with on my own, but any suggestions on how I can stay with the spirit of what I'm required to do, but get some decent benefit out it as well, would be appreciated. I know this isn't Crossfit at all, but I really have no choice right now.

Workout #1
Flat Bench Press
Power Cleans
Dips
Incline Dumbbell Press
Close Grip Pushups
Skull Crusher

Workout #2
Deadlift
Widegrip Pullups
3P Dumbell Row
Barbell Curls
Chins
Back Extensions

Workout #3
Back Squat
Shoulder Press
Thruster
Single Arm DB Press
Shoulder Complex
Box Jump/Lunges

PS: I know the Power Cleans are out of place, but I didn't want three of my major lifts on Friday.
Old 11-23-2008, 04:38 PM   #2
James Withington

Profile:
Re: Having to do a split routine

Why are you having to do a split routine? Judging from the exercises you have mapped out for yourself, you don't appear to be injured at all, and the gym you're working out at appears to be reasonably well kitted out. What reason would there be for "having to do a split routine"?
Old 11-23-2008, 04:41 PM   #3
Stacy Sells

Profile:

Mandatory PT. In the fall we were doing a lot of Crossfitish type workouts (mostly bodyweight stuff), but now we've moved inside and this is the program we are expected to follow. I'm not a fan, but in the military when the boss says do you gotta do. It probably won't last forever, maybe until early spring.
Old 11-23-2008, 04:48 PM   #4
Steven Crawford

Profile:

You didn't really explain WHY you have to do a M/W/F split over Crossfit, and with the types of exercises you've listed here, it doesn't look like its because of equipment.

If it were me, I'd take out the dumbell presses, pushdowns, rows, skull crushers, and curls.

Then I'd do a squat variation each day (back,front,overhead). Press or bench press, and then a pull (deadlift,clean,snatch).

If you're after a bit of extra arm size (i suspect thats what the curls & pushdowns are for), throw in few sets of pullups & dips at the end.

Want some extra conditioning on top of your 1mile run, then throw in a short CF style workout at the end, incorporating the thrusters and box jumps you mention along with anything else you feel like, just keep it balanced.

That's pretty much what my routine looks like at the moment. Not quite SS, not quite CF, somewhere in between
Old 11-23-2008, 04:49 PM   #5
Steven Crawford

Profile:

ok i was too slow typing, now you've explained why. Still, I wouldn't change too much of what i said, maybe you'll just be restricted on some olympic style stuff
Old 11-23-2008, 04:54 PM   #6
Chris H Laing

Profile:

That sucks that theyre making you workout like that, but if you have to do 3 sets of each exercies, you could do sets of 3x5 or 3x3 to build up a lot of strength before you get to return to crossfit. Also, I wouldn't do so many exercises each day, and would instead stick to 3 or 4 reeeallllly heavy ones.

For chest, I personally like weighted dips. I guess throw some bench in there cuz theres not much in terms of strength for chest. Maybe tabata pushups? (not really for strength, but its still a pretty functional chest/tri exercise)

For back days you could just do Power cleans, weighted pullups, and then a set of heavy deads so you dont need all those rows and curls.

And for legs/shoulders I would do back, front, or overhead squats, and one of press/push press/jerk, and hspu.

This could actually be a really good opportunity to work on solely strength for while, and could really help with the more strength based wods when you get back into crossfit.

Also Steven, that sounds like a great program, but it wont work here because he has days assigned to him to work on chest/tris, back/bis, and legs/shoulders. But I second the idea of a short metcon after your workouts.

Last edited by Chris H Laing : 11-23-2008 at 04:57 PM.
Old 11-23-2008, 04:57 PM   #7
Stacy Sells

Profile:

The thing is, I want to be doing Crossfit, but the program our office PT guy has set up for us says we have to do it the way I outlined. Squats every day would be great, but the only day I'm supposed to be doing legs is on Friday. The arm work is there because it is required on the Bi's day and the Tri's day. I don't think I listed pressdowns on my original list. Thanks for the input, if I could follow your advice I would. I expected a lot of suggestions like you've posted so if you think you can offer some more input with a better explanation of the situation I'm in let me know.

To Chris, I have to do six different exercise, that's why it's filled up the way it is. Thanks for the support!

Last edited by Stacy Sells : 11-23-2008 at 04:59 PM.
Old 11-23-2008, 05:20 PM   #8
Steven Crawford

Profile:

The more I read, the less I like your predicament.

If you really are restricted to the chest/tris, back/bis, legs/shoulders 6 exercises per day thing, my only further suggestion would be to just do the most functional things first, and leave the crap til last.

So this is just a re-ordering of the exercises you listed above. It's not much of a tweak, but hopefully it's something. Good luck with your situation - I hope it changes quickly

-Steve

Back/Bi's
Deadlift
Power Clean
Widegrip Pullups
Back Extensions
Chins
Barbell Curls

Legs/shoulders
Back Squat
Shoulder Press
Thruster
Box Jump/Lunges
Single Arm DB Press
Shoulder Complex

Chest/tri's
Flat Bench Press
Dips
Close Grip Pushups
Incline Dumbbell Press
Skull Crusher
??

P.S - and you're right, I don't know where I got the pushdowns from :S
Old 11-23-2008, 05:31 PM   #9
Stacy Sells

Profile:

Thanks Steven, I like your tweaks and will definately implement them. Do you guys think 3X5 on everything or just the major lifts and maybe set some weights and go for max reps on some of lifts?

As for the situation, I expect the current one to end by spring and get replaced by some long slow distance or something else we are not complete fans of here. But when life gives you lemons and no sugar, you just have to make a sour face and press on while trying to find some way to get the most you can from it.
Old 11-23-2008, 06:13 PM   #10
Steven Crawford

Profile:

I'd be doing 3x5 on all the major lifts, including weighted pullups & dips.

Thrusters and back extensions I'd say maintain a weight and go for higher reps, up to 3 sets of about 20 before increasing the weight.

Chins & box jumps, go crazy, as many as possible

The other BB type exercises, not my domain - go with what you know