CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 06-28-2008, 09:53 AM   #1
Andrew Lallos

Profile:
Question Paleo Friendly Protein Drink? Thoughts?

http://www.eggwhitesint.com/go/bodybuilding-protein (w/f/s)

What are everyones thoughts, comments on this?

A crock?

A good idea?

Close enough to "real food" to be considered paleo?
Old 06-28-2008, 11:48 AM   #2
Larry Cox

Profile:
Re: Paleo Friendly Protein Drink? Thoughts?

Sounds a little fishy.

I've never heard of humans having a problem absorbing either cooked or liquid eggs, that doesn't mean its not true, but one would think that information would be wide spread. I dunno if it makes sense at all.
Old 06-28-2008, 12:52 PM   #3
Zac Jereb

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Cox View Post
Sounds a little fishy.

I've never heard of humans having a problem absorbing either cooked or liquid eggs, that doesn't mean its not true, but one would think that information would be wide spread. I dunno if it makes sense at all.

The protein in egg whites does become more "bio-available" when it's been cooked. Generally not a problem. Pasteurized egg whites - like the ones from Egg Whites Intl., or your standard Egg Beaters or grocery store generic brand egg white - are all just as "bio-available." It's really only an issue if you were to crack an egg, separate the white, and drink it raw.

I don't know if the same is true for powdered egg whites... For the past 4 months or so I've been taking in roughly 1/4 to 1/3 of my daily protein from powdered egg whites from Rose Acre Farm (http://www.sportprotein.com/ w/fs), and my body fat is down, lbm is stable, and lifts are up, so even if they do have an impacted "bio-availability," I'll keep using powdered egg whites just because they're so damned cheap.

As for them being paleo, well, I'm not paleo, so I don't care. But you might be able to sell them as paleo...
Old 06-28-2008, 04:29 PM   #4
Michael Hill

Profile:

FWIW, Coach Rutherford like them. They are advertised on his blog. http://coachrut.blogspot.com/ (WFS)

I tries them and liked them, but decided that I would just eat real food because they are not that convienent considering you have to keep them refrigerated. And although the flatulence factor is less than powdered egg whites, it is still significant.

It is as close to paleo as you are going to get for a supplemental protein. I must ask, why not just eat eggs?
Old 06-28-2008, 07:32 PM   #5
Larry Cox

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zac Jereb View Post
I don't know if the same is true for powdered egg whites... For the past 4 months or so I've been taking in roughly 1/4 to 1/3 of my daily protein from powdered egg whites from Rose Acre Farm (http://www.sportprotein.com/ w/fs), and my body fat is down, lbm is stable, and lifts are up, so even if they do have an impacted "bio-availability," I'll keep using powdered egg whites just because they're so damned cheap.
Holy cow that is a great deal. Thanks for the link!

I think eggs are paleo enough, dried or not. General guidelines my friends.

Man you should have heard my friends jump all over me when I told them I was going paleo. "So did cavemen have kim-chi? So did cavemen have whey protein? So did cave men have thousand island dressing?" jeez!
Old 06-29-2008, 05:11 AM   #6
Andrew Lallos

Profile:

well that would be on top of however many eggs I consume. The reason I would take this supplement is because liquid generally fills you up less and exits the stomach sooner than solids. So (in theory?) it would allow me to consume more eggs, without actually have to cook up and eat the extra eggs...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Hill View Post
FWIW, Coach Rutherford like them. They are advertised on his blog. http://coachrut.blogspot.com/ (WFS)

I tries them and liked them, but decided that I would just eat real food because they are not that convienent considering you have to keep them refrigerated. And although the flatulence factor is less than powdered egg whites, it is still significant.

It is as close to paleo as you are going to get for a supplemental protein. I must ask, why not just eat eggs?
Old 06-29-2008, 08:03 AM   #7
Gary Ohm

Profile:

[quote=Zac Jereb;339581]The protein in egg whites does become more "bio-available" when it's been cooked. Generally not a problem. Pasteurized egg whites - like the ones from Egg Whites Intl., or your standard Egg Beaters or grocery store generic brand egg white - are all just as "bio-available." It's really only an issue if you were to crack an egg, separate the white, and drink it raw.

[quote]

I am confused. I thought that cooking denatures the protein in the egg white. THat is why it becomes hard and white. I was under them impression that any time you cook proteins they denature and thereby lose some of thier efficacy. I am by no means championing raw egg or raw meat eating, but this is what I understand.
Also, regarding the pasteurization of the egg whites: Do they use heat? If so, in order to get the heat high enough to kill any respectable bug, the protein would surely begin to denature (cook). If they do not use heat, do they use Infrared or some other source of radiation?
How does the processing of the dried egg whites affect the denaturing of the proteins in the whites? I had never heard the term "bio-available" so that is what has thrown me. Thanks for your patience....
Old 06-29-2008, 10:35 AM   #8
Bart Hodlik

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zac Jereb View Post

As for them being paleo, well, I'm not paleo, so I don't care. But you might be able to sell them as paleo...
Zac,
Couple of quick questions. I read over the link, and think this could be the answer to my protein shake quest. (Military food sucks!!) Do you drink this straight up? Or do you flavor it with something? And also, since its only egg whites, and the fat has been removed, what do you supplement in for fat?

Last edited by Bart Hodlik : 06-29-2008 at 10:37 AM. Reason: quick fix
Old 06-29-2008, 11:25 AM   #9
Zac Jereb

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bart Hodlik View Post
Zac,
Couple of quick questions. I read over the link, and think this could be the answer to my protein shake quest. (Military food sucks!!) Do you drink this straight up? Or do you flavor it with something? And also, since its only egg whites, and the fat has been removed, what do you supplement in for fat?
Cocoa powder, stevia, & nut butter works great. They're also great with yogurt & berries. They have essentially no flavor by themselves.

And as for the flatulence issue another poster mentioned, that goes away inside a week or two - your body adjusts.

One thing though... You absolutely MUST use a blender. If you attempt to use a shaker cup or something like that, you'll just end up with a sticky mess.
Old 06-29-2008, 11:31 AM   #10
Bart Hodlik

Profile:

hmm.. ok, thanks for the info. I already ordered the 2 pound version to give it a run. Not worried about the gas. I've learned that the higher the quality of the protein, the less there is of it.
Although the blender bit concerns me. That part I don't have much access to. At least at work. At home I have one ready to go.
I'll have to experiment with this.
Thanks for the info.