CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 05-27-2008, 10:58 AM   #1
Kevin McMahon

Profile:
Fitness and the Wii

Ok I do not mean to offend anyone and this will be kind of a rant but here it goes.

I work at a Best Buy, and my responsibility is answering phones. I have worked all over the store so I know how most things work. Heres the thing that i have noticed recently. This whole wii fit thing. It has been massively popular and will probably be out of stock for the near future. I get probably 20 calls in a 6 hour shift about this product.
The disturbing thing about this is that it takes something as trivial as this Wii fit which is mainly balancing and maybe some yoga type things to actually get people interested in fitness. Not that going for a walk outside is something people like doing. Now even our exercise in this country is digital.
You know its not like living longer or healthier is motivating the public to better their lives. Not the fact that many people may not see their grandchildren graduate from college, no its a finicky little wannabe exercise machine for a video game system. I give props to the game company for trying to do something healthy for the general public, but i still find it very disturbing that people are so dissinterested in their own health that they need a video game system to inspire them to relieve the indent in their couches.

Sorry I am done now.
Old 05-27-2008, 11:41 AM   #2
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:
Re: Fitness and the Wii

I really don't have a problem with this. I would hazard a guess and say more people workout today than ever before. This is mainly because we need to. We don't have physically demanding jobs, we don't hunt our own food, walk 2 miles to school (uphill both ways, of course). But that is a good thing since we can get more done, greater technology and so forth.

So now we actaully have to ofrce ourselves to be fit as opposed to it happening just from our daily lives. Yes, I would rather play outside and run and climb. But maybe this will get the kids outside, to try new things, to find out what else they can do once they master this.

THat being said, if there were a video game controller that was like swinging a real sword/axe/morning star, that would be awesome. I'd have been diesel from diablo alone.
Old 05-27-2008, 12:55 PM   #3
Kevin McMahon

Profile:

Ya i agree that a lot of people do exercise on a regular basis. I
just see the wii fit as another gimicky piece of equipment like ab rollers and all those other "miracle" exercise things. I know the wii fit is not being advertised as such nor is it meant for it. And i do know that something is better than nothing in terms of exercise. I just get frustrated i guess when people think that really counts as exercise. Give the Wii props, it makes you move more than WoW or Halo, but i just hope most people who are jumping on the Wii fit bandwagon do not see it as their sole method of exercise and just use it more as entertainment then anything else.
Old 05-27-2008, 01:28 PM   #4
Bruce Drake

Profile:

I think most of our community would want people to forgo the Wii controller and buy a kettle bell. That said, the first step on the path to fitness has to be to get off your lazy *** and stand up. If this technology gets people to stand, it is better than nothing.

How many people take steps beyond that remains to be seen.

Or, this will kill more people than it helps, which will generate lawsuits, and the only ones getting exercise will be the lawyers going up and down the courthouse steps. But I digress.
Old 05-27-2008, 01:35 PM   #5
Keenan Lightner

Profile:

Have you guys seen this before? Hilarious!

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=_iYBmAVuBns
(Work and Family Safe)
Old 05-27-2008, 02:50 PM   #6
Paul Williams

Profile:

The only real use I can see for this, is a really easy way to record data.

The only use I would have is to work on my balance, but using a balance ball does exactly the same thing!
Old 05-27-2008, 02:58 PM   #7
Brian Wahl

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keenan Lightner View Post
Have you guys seen this before? Hilarious!

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=_iYBmAVuBns
(Work and Family Safe)
That was pretty funny.
Old 05-27-2008, 03:00 PM   #8
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

Maybe this will start the trend of better controllers for video games. I like my afore mentioned swinging controller for Sword and sorcery games. Maybe a pad similar to this one where you could do high knees or something to make your character run. There are all sorts of things that can come from this.

The Wii fit, taken by itself is laughable, but so where alot of firsts.
Old 05-27-2008, 03:01 PM   #9
Michael Blazek

Profile:

The Wii Fit is a waste of money. Why would anyone do pushups on a wii fit? Yea I love push-ups so much!!! that I will buy a gaming system that tells me to do pushups. Its a glorified yoga tape that comes with another peice of plastic.

Only thing I can say is - I wish I thought of it!

Parents should just sign their kid up for a sport and save their money. At least thats real exercise.
Old 05-27-2008, 03:03 PM   #10
Brian Wahl

Profile:

I'm a pretty big techie. I love new toys as much as the next guy (probably more...). I've always looked for cool new ways to log workouts/track progress/chart progress/etc. I have a Wii, and the Wii Fit concept is kind of cool. I mean, it collects the data. Tracks progress. Identifies weak areas (maybe it doesn't do that - not sure). But all-in-all, it "techifies" your fitness routine, which might appeal to me.

But, when it comes to fitness, though - I just can't get away from CrossFit. I mean - you print off the WOD (which consists of 2-3 lines of text), and go hit it as hard as you can. I have a hard time believing my carpeted, clean, maintained living room could contain something as hard-core as a CrossFit WOD, and working out should be that hard-core. Otherwise, what's the point?

So, I guess bottom line is I can see how folks would be into the Wii Fit concept, but when you strip it all down, working out is about getting out there and busting your butt as hard as possible, and I can't see myself doing that in front of my tv in my living room.