CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 11-03-2005, 11:17 AM   #11
Frank C Ollis

Profile:
Jonathon,
First of all, Brad is modest. He, Roy, and I attended Roy Harris' Grappling Instructor course, and they can put the hurt on you. Brad has a nasty triangle. I am a lot bigger(and way uglier) than both of them, and they deal with that no problem. By the way, if Roy Harris ever gives you the choice between Fast and Loose or Slow and Tight, pack your ****, choose neither, and go home. He is the nicest guy you will ever meet, imagine if he was mean!

Now, on to the question. Here is the point I will make. Flash back 13 or so years. Brazilians came on the scene with a fury and were crushing all the competition, with technique. Now, the US and others are catching up technique wise. So in MMA and grappling, conditioning is usually a prime factor after the first round and a half. I firmly beleive that conditioning is the ultimate submission. Americans tend to assimilate and constantly improve. We are still a young group from a Martial Arts perspective, so we will adopt anything that works. If you don't think conditioning is as important as BJJ technique, watch a good wrestler roll. You will probably catch him eventually, but the ride from start to finishing move is long and bumpy. The sucessful Brazilian MMA guys all crosstrain, jacketed BJJ will catch up eventually.

Rickson definately cross trained, and he was the best. Hmmmm?

Personal perspective. I am a Marine. I teach grappling and MMA to other Marines. If you want a Marine to pay attention and learn what you are teaching, you have to break them down completely. On a given day in class, I may roll with a dozen different guys, a couple of them new. The new ones tend to wait until they think I am tired before they line up with me. Surprise, I am not as tired as I look. I had a new guy come in today, nice kid, who claimed to have 2 years of grappling experience. I rolled with him for about 7-8 minutes of total domination. I only went for one submission, which I got, but I so thoroughly dominated position that he was never able to even attempt a lock. Big fish in a little pond syndrome. In my situation CrossFit, and the conditioning and CONFIDENCE it gives me, help me keep my game tight through an entire workout.