CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 12-29-2007, 02:20 PM   #1
Ashley Rogers

Profile:
Starting Strength Weight Gain

Does the SS program cause much increase in bodyfat along with the weight gain?
Old 12-29-2007, 02:28 PM   #2
Ashley Rogers

Profile:
Re: Starting Strength Weight Gain

I am currently 5'4", 145 lbs, 17.2% BF. My goal is to gain some lean muscle with decreasing the BF %. I was thinking about mixing in some bodyweight exercises & light cardio, too.
Old 12-29-2007, 02:41 PM   #3
Steven Low

Profile:

You only gain weight if you eat for weight. If you eat too much over what is necessary for building muscle then yes you will put on some fat.

More or less, bulking and cutting type phases are the fastest way to gain muscle and lose fat respectively which is why bodybuilders use them. If you want to stay lean eat around caloric maintenance and your fat will slowly be metabolized as energy while muscle will slowly be made reducing your BF%. Recognize that this is much slower than bulking and cutting though if you choose this route.
Old 12-29-2007, 02:50 PM   #4
Alex Nisetich

Profile:

There is only one way to gain muscle while losing fat at the same time: steroids. You can use phases though, where you gain bulk and then cut fat. That will work pretty well, but I'd suggest just doing CrossFit for awhile. If your diet is well balanced and you aren't eating too many calories you will very gradually lose fat and perhaps gain some muscle. It'll save the trouble of eating like a horse and then starving yourself periodically, and it should work pretty well.
Old 12-29-2007, 02:57 PM   #5
Steven Low

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Nisetich View Post
There is only one way to gain muscle while losing fat at the same time: steroids. You can use phases though, where you gain bulk and then cut fat. That will work pretty well, but I'd suggest just doing CrossFit for awhile. If your diet is well balanced and you aren't eating too many calories you will very gradually lose fat and perhaps gain some muscle. It'll save the trouble of eating like a horse and then starving yourself periodically, and it should work pretty well.
Uh? Gaining muscle while losing fat at the same time is very common without androgens especially in people with high BF%. The lower the BF% the harder it is to do and thus bulking/cutting becomes more effective... More or less the same as when you need more advanced programming to lift heavier weights as you get stronger. Almost all human based performance has a logarithmic curve like this.

Again as I said though if you want to slowly change your composition you can go with a combination of heavy lifting, HIIT, tabatas and metcons. Fastest way is just manning up and doing a bulk on SS to gain strength and muscle plus a bit of fat and then cutting off the fat with the Zone or something.
Old 12-29-2007, 09:14 PM   #6
Kris Warner

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley Rogers View Post
I am currently 5'4", 145 lbs, 17.2% BF. My goal is to gain some lean muscle with decreasing the BF %. I was thinking about mixing in some bodyweight exercises & light cardio, too.
Don't F with the program. Run it as is for 2 months and see how your body responds. I think you will be happy with how your body composition will change without going above and beyond while trying to lose weight. Trying to put on muscle while losing fat is a fast way to making no progress in strength (which is the point of SS).
Eat clean foods and do not worry about restricting calories at this point.

What is your end goal? What weight do you want to be? How strong do you want your lifts to be? How big do you want your legs/shoulders/arms etc to be? How fit do you want to be?
Old 12-29-2007, 09:37 PM   #7
Steven Low

Profile:

Quote:
Don't F with the program.
Ah, can't believe I didn't catch that as well. Pretty much what Kris said. Don't mess with it especially if you don't know anything about programming. These programs are built to certain goals and messing around with them severely detracts from what they offer and at times makes them implausible.

If you want strength and mass gain do SS and eat.
Old 12-29-2007, 10:03 PM   #8
Alex Nisetich

Profile:

Ok, perhaps "can't" was a little too much. What I meant was that if you are eating enough to gain serious muscle mass, you will probably be adding a little bit of fat. That will vary of course, depending on how much bodyfat you already have, age, genetics, etc. But one should not expect large increases in muscle along with decreases in bodyfat. It can happen, but it's not particularly likely. I have been able to gain muscle and lose fat at the same time, but the amounts were not great, and it was on the WOD, not a heavy lifting, big eating strength program.
Old 12-29-2007, 10:27 PM   #9
Kevin Perry

Profile:

You'll gain fat on SS but if you eat mostly clean ( I mean not fast food every meal) than it won't be that bad. Building Strength on SS will require some fat with the muscle. But don't be afraid of it.
Old 12-30-2007, 07:10 AM   #10
Kris Warner

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Perry View Post
You'll gain fat on SS but if you eat mostly clean ( I mean not fast food every meal) than it won't be that bad. Building Strength on SS will require some fat with the muscle. But don't be afraid of it.
I just put my brother on SS at the end of his soccer season (college senior). His squat started at 185, now he's at 310. His bench started at 150 now it's at 210. His DL started at 135 and now it's at 250. He is still killing all his lifts with an added 12-15 lb of mass with little fat gain. His abs are more ripped now than they were before SS and his shoulders/back are noticeably larger. He's always had big legs, but now they are bigger. I call him everyday and make sure he is eating 5-6 times a day with 1 gemma protein shake each day and a WPI/Carb shake post workout 3x per week.

Don't fall into the mentality of stepping onto a scale everyday. The scale will make you play mind games. Use the mirror and pictures of yourself as a guide. If you can get your bf% measured do so before you start and again in 1 month. Look at your progress and make changes to you diet as you see fit. Don't make changes day by day on the fly. Stick to a plan for 1 month and measure progress. I wouldn't be worried about putting on a lot of fat while doing SS because I know how to take it off while keeping most of the muscle and strength (CF!).

Last edited by Kris Warner : 12-30-2007 at 07:17 AM.