CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 10-04-2007, 12:55 PM   #1
Joseph Lemos

Profile:
Active Rest?

I have been out for a week with distal biceps tendonitis, any flexing of the arm under load causes significant pain through the inside of my elbow. This is a problem I have ignored / worked around for several months, but it finally became unbearable after a session of weighted pull ups. I saw my doctor and am on rest, steroids, and anti-inflammatory meds (feel better already).

My question involves the next several weeks of working out while resting my bicep. I am interested in your opinions on 'active rest'. For example, if I can do 3 pull ups with zero pain, should I do the 3 pull ups, or wait until my 5 weeks are up?

Thanks.
Old 10-04-2007, 01:06 PM   #2
George Mounce

Profile:
Re: Active Rest?

Active Rest to me is well, I'm doing all this functional training, so I go do some functional things like chase my dogs around, or do some hard lawn work, go for a fun bike ride.

Active Rest for me is doing all those fun things that CrossFit prepares me for, but at a more leisurely pace.
Old 10-04-2007, 01:39 PM   #3
Joseph Lemos

Profile:

I think your advice is excellent, and probably some I should take. I tend to worry too much about the workout, and not the overall goal of the workout. My lack of balance is probably why I'm hurt; when I start a workout, I always feel like I need to finish. I'm not saying that CrossFit is made for obsessive people, but it sure is a good fit for me.
Old 10-04-2007, 03:49 PM   #4
Emily Mattes

Profile:

My physical therapist is big on active rest, but says it's very important to emphasize the "rest". You start slow. Active rest will get the blood moving through the muscle and promote healing, but pushing yourself beyond it will get you more hurt. You have to use your judgement here and be VERY sure in the beginning that whatever you're using to exercise the muscle is not putting it under exertion. In the first week I would suggest not doing pull-ups, maybe doing nothing more than very light bicep curls--useless for building the muscle, but effective at moving the blood through them without stress. Then work your way up to other exercises. You don't want to hit the point right where you're starting to feel pain, you want to be well under that.