CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 09-24-2007, 01:05 PM   #1
Sean Dunston

Profile:
Practical carbs on Zone

I did a search for this and didn't net anything useful, but maybe my search terms weren't optimal.
I am just finishing my first week in the Zone.

I have found that my "easy to eat" carbs (and those I can easily bring to the office) have been apples and oranges. However, given that I am using a 16 block diet, and I usually eat an apple (among other carb blocks) for breakfast, an apple and an orange with lunch, and an apple or an orange as each of my snacks - I am finding boredom hitting VERY quickly with this consumption pattern.

I really don't think switching one apple for 4 cups of uncooked broccoli (even though I love broccoli) or 15 cups of alfalfa sprouts (who are we kidding with this ) because that seems like a tremendous amount at one sitting! But I am willing to listen to reasonable alternatives.

So, what do you folks suggest for:
1) mixing up carbs (to kill the same carb item consumption monotony)
2) items that are easy to bring to work
3) not a gawdawful amount of food for snack/lunch times

Thanks.

Sean
Old 09-24-2007, 01:14 PM   #2
George Mounce

Profile:
Re: Practical carbs on Zone

I posted this in the 10 lb challenge thread:

Since I lost 30 pounds (198-168, even though I post at 170 because I drink a gallon of water a day ) let me tell you what has worked for me:

1) Apples are the potato of the Zone diet, they can be used in any meal and taste great. I will slice an apple and throw it in a spinach salad, eat one whole for an afternoon snack, roast one up for dinner, it doesn't matter. They are so easy to manipulate!

2) Pick 5 of your favorite fruits and veggies and make them your staples - this will allow you to make a grocery list of how much you'll buy each time you go to the store, making for a much easier life. Planning makes for less time in the kitchen and less money out of your wallet. Frozen isn't a bad choice either as frozen veggies are frozen at the peak of being ripe, rather then losing it in your fridge or on your counter. Same goes for fruits. I keep my freezer always stocked with frozen organic blueberries and cherries.

3) I have personally tried so many ways to eat with the Zone it is sickening. I've gone B/S/L/S/D/S, B/S/L/S/D, and B/L/S/D/S. I can tell you I think B/S/L/S/D is the best way to go if you make your 3 main meals 2-3x bigger then your snacks. For me this is 5/2/5/2/5. I also do now 19C/18P/35F which is +/-100 calories of 2300 calories. I update my Fitday log during the day so the link in my signature is live as I go through each day munching away at things (keep in mind it doesn't show fiber in the public journal, but it is literally 50-75g per day). But - I can cheat up to 3100 calories with NO ILL EFFECT due to my CrossFit regime (in fact I did it last night).

4) Weight is just a number to show the force of gravity on one's body. It has nothing to do with body composition other then if you have more muscle you can weigh more with less mass since muscle is denser then fat. Muscular people are deceptively heavier. Therefore - I only weigh myself if I happen to think about it, or a WOD comes up requiring something to do with bodyweight (Linda, CFT rank).

5) The ultimate weight loss magic pill is - water. Lots of it. More then lots of it. I have a gallon jug I tote around me like a ball and chain. I know the sooner that thing is gone for the day the sooner I can stop lugging it around.

6) Make coffee a special thing. For me 10am and 4pm are the special coffee times (I often don't drink the 10am cup). The morning one is a cup of black from fresh ground arabica beans, the afternoon is the same but with a little cream and pumpkin spice, with maybe some stevia as a sweetener. These are special, and I do not drink coffee outside of these times. Because of this schedule if I don't get to drink any coffee I'm not dying for caffeine.

7) Use cheat ingredients in meals instead of an entire cheat meal. For me it will often be my brownies that I make that really aren't that bad at all. I use them to replace part of the meal I was going to have. Or - I might through an oz of Feta on my salad. Or I might eat an oz of dark chocolate from a baking bar instead of one my carb and fat blocks. These simple add-ins allow me to never have to go on an all out "cheat binge". Even the meal I ate last night was 95% Paleo at the Italian restaurant we visited.

8) Last but not least - use what works for you, you are your own black box and what I do doesn't work for everyone.
Old 09-24-2007, 01:28 PM   #3
Sean Dunston

Profile:

Thanks, George.

I agree with your apple - potato comparison.

Thank goodness I like apples... and apples seem to always be in season (unlike oranges, which are my favorite fruit) but I am trying to not have to eat SO MANY apples each day!

Today I have already eaten 3 apples, and I am due to eat another in about 2 hours! At this rate I would be a fool to not buy stock in apple farms in NY and Washington! Seriously - 4 apples a day? And that is a 16 block diet! Isn't that bordering on ridiculous? I can't imagine if I was trying to eat 19 blocks like you!

Man - you go through A LOT of water!

I thought I went through a lot at about 1.5 liters per day, plus another .750 when I work out. Water has been mighty helpful for me too. I used to drink a 20 oz. bottle of Coke (yep - real Coke, none of that diet cr@p!) with lunch every day. Been off of that since January.

Anyway, back to the point - I am looking for tips/suggestions on carb block variety (mixing in items other than apples ) that are easy for the Zone.

Old 09-24-2007, 01:33 PM   #4
Paul Mirek

Profile:

Geroge, I'd love to see you post your actual meals. Your eating style sounds fascinating. I have never gotten around to trying the ZONE diet, but when you describe what you do, it sounds like something I ought to try. Unfortunately, I cannot picture what you are actually eating and when. I think I need to research ZONE a bit more. OH, and I'd love to hear more about those brownies...I could use some good brownies right about now...LOL!

Paul Mirek
http://mrmirek.blogspot.com (wfs)
Old 09-24-2007, 01:38 PM   #5
George Mounce

Profile:

The problem is you are asking people a question that only you can answer. While there are a ton of carb sources only you can answer to what you like.

That is why I say pick 4 or 5 of staples in the fruit and veggie categories and make them what you buy the most of. Then throw something random into those 8-10 things.

These are what I focus with in 3 categories

For me it is (ok so I have more then 5 of each):

CARBS:
Fruits -
Bananas, apples, orange, grapefruit, blueberries, cherries, pears.

Veggies -
Spinach, cucumbers, broccoli, carrots, , celery, brussel sprouts, peppers.

FATS:
Olive oil, flaxseed, butter, almonds, walnuts

PROTEINS:
Cage Free organic omega 3 Eggs, grass-fed beef, free range chicken/turkey without antibiotics, free range pork (lucky I have a guy near me who I can get this from), and fish of many varieties

SUPPLEMENTS:
Fish oil, creatine, whey protein isolate, multivitamin, green tea extract

These are my staples.

Paul - click on the Fitday.com Journal link in my signature - you can see what I eat there! Keep in mind of those carbs I average about 60g of fiber per day, so it is less then what it says.

Brownies - do a forum search for "George's Recipe Corner". I have the buckwheat pancakes 2-3 times a week for breakfast. I have 5 recipes I'm going through at the moment as my LT has challenged me to making 3 things. They are still in the testing phase (aka I make it at home then bring it to work and put a timer to how fast a batch goes. The brownies lasted less then 20 minutes and I didn't announce they were on the table).

Last edited by George Mounce : 09-24-2007 at 01:50 PM.
Old 09-24-2007, 01:49 PM   #6
George Mounce

Profile:

Paul now that I think about it, the two biggest tools I've purchased in order are:

An electronic food scale (found it on sale for $10, goes up to 5lb US and does metric).

A jumbo dog bowl.

You ask why a dog bowl? I couldn't find a salad bowl big enough for my salads. You will notice in my log whenever ingredients are near "spinach" or "lettuce" they went into a salad!
Old 09-24-2007, 02:53 PM   #7
Richard Furr

Profile:
Talking Re: Practical carbs on Zone

Great posts George! That info really helps me a lot.

I love the dog bowl idea! That's awesome. I've been having the same problem with making salads. I want one with my name on it, lol.
Old 09-24-2007, 03:56 PM   #8
Brandon Oto

Profile:

I've been using a cooking pot
Old 09-24-2007, 04:11 PM   #9
George Mounce

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Furr View Post
Great posts George! That info really helps me a lot.

I love the dog bowl idea! That's awesome. I've been having the same problem with making salads. I want one with my name on it, lol.
I bought a big red plastic one.
Old 09-24-2007, 05:05 PM   #10
Adam Noble

Profile:

Hahahaha, I know what you mean with the salads. I have a couple giant bowls just for that reason. My zone salads take me forever to eat. Feels like grazing.