CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 03-09-2006, 07:28 AM   #1
John Seiler

Profile:
Has anyone run into legal problems (i.e. ordince/zoning violations) training out of their garages?
Old 03-09-2006, 09:54 AM   #2
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:
I'm sure you could find a way to run into problems, but if you keep the door closed what can they say? That you're not allowed to exercise in your own garage? That you can exercise in your garage, but the type of exercise has to be approved by the Exercise Police? That screaming kids are allowed in the neighborhood but not the dropping of weights?

I trained people out of my townhouse garage (with the door open) in San Diego in a tightly packed housing development. No complaints.

If you hang out a big "open for business" banner and have trainees sucking up all the parking spaces for hundreds of yards in every direction, then you could have a problem. But if you have a few friends over to share in a workout, I don't think there is much the sheeple can say. My experience has been that usually the O-lifting and hard work intimidates people too much for them to say anything.
Old 03-09-2006, 12:24 PM   #3
Tim Weaver

Profile:
Ditto what Linc said. In Glendale (and many Phoenix-area communities), home-based businesses are OK as long as you don't generate any foot-traffic to your home because of it.

Yes, this would include piano teachers...there's a law I believe that specifically allows music lessons or something.

Anyway, as long as it wasn't a, er, um, 'business', not much they could do. So, if you had a business license, then did it out of your home, possibly a no-no.

Some friends over for a group workout? Be hard for them to do much about it, I'd wager.
Old 03-10-2006, 05:17 AM   #4
Edward D. Friedman

Profile:
Seems to me the more potentially significant legal issues involve liability that could arise out of injury or death suffered by a trainee that paid money for instruction. Perhaps some with experience here could advise as to a good release/waiver form and trainer's insurance policy ( A homeowner's insurance carrier might seek to disclaim coverage for an incident arising out of a commerical venture.) JMO, HTH.
Good Luck !
Old 03-10-2006, 09:53 AM   #5
Albert Clayton

Profile:
I train twice a week in my Karate instructors garage-dojo. He does not charge anything just to avoid those issues. What if you worked out at the local park? Most commercial gyms have you sign a sign-in sheet that is a release of liability statement.

But if you look into local regulations, I am sure that you can find some ordinance that regulates a home based gym.
Old 03-10-2006, 10:13 AM   #6
John Seiler

Profile:
Thanks guys! Good points all. Interesting about the not charging for a while. Maybe start to build a base of people doing the workouts and have some steam built by the time I get an actual business...
Old 03-10-2006, 02:25 PM   #7
Garrett Smith

Profile:
I know of many home-based businesses. The thing that all of them are most concerned about is the parking (excess cars) interfering with the neighbors. Other than that, you would want to have personal training insurance.
Old 03-13-2006, 06:17 PM   #8
Christopher Brown

Profile:  
Not adding much new info but adding my experience. Here in Colorado the biggest concern is parking. You have to file an application to run your business from your home with the local city government and for Fort Collins one of the questions is how big your driveway is. That said, I believe the only policing that occurs is when someone (like a neighbor) files a complaint.

To date I haven't had more than 2 clients in training at a time and I haven't had any problems. I do plan to host some bigger events and continue to do so until someone complains. I've got neighbors who fill the streets with cars from regular weekend parties so I won't be the only one breaking the rules.

As far as insurance goes I've got liability insurance to cover myself and the business. I don't have any thing to cover damage to the house itself but I'm not very concerned about that.

Chris

Old 03-14-2006, 08:35 AM   #9
John Seiler

Profile:
Thanks for all your input, everyone!