CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 04-06-2006, 07:14 PM   #1
Jason Billows

Profile:
I'm finally putting in my order for a bar and bumpers tomorrow and want to ensure I have a some sort of platform by the time they arrive so I don't damage my floor or equipment. The problem is, I don't think a conventional platform will work for me.

I'll be using the bumpers in my garage for about half of the year, but then moving them into my basement gym during the colder months. Unfortunately my stairway to the basement gym has a couple of sharp turns and isn't big enough to fit a full 8x8 or even 6x8 lifiting platform, making it impossible to move a platform up or down the stairs. I don't really want to have to build two platforms, one for the garage and one for downstairs.

So, I'm trying to figure out some alternatives. Ideally I'd have a platform that could be disassembled, moved and rebuilt. From all the plans I have seen, that's pretty much impossible with a quality platform.

My best alternative so far is to get two 4x6 stall mats and a piece of 4x6 plywood. I'd set them up as if they were the top layer of a 4x6 lifting platform, but not attached together or with bottom layers to the platform. I realize that this won't provide the same protection for my floor or bumpers, but is it that bad? It would make it possible for me to move the whole set up down into the basement which is the big plus.

The other option was to simply get three 4x6 stall mats and lay them out side by side similar to the other option but using a stall mat for my centre piece. I think this option would be less apt to shift when lifting, but I'm not sure if the mat would allow my feet to move freely. Can anyone with stall mats tell me if my feet would stick?

Any other options someone can suggest?

And while we're at it.... my garage floor slopes slightly from back to front. Over a 6 foot length I'd say it probably drops about an inch to inch and a half. If I set up my bumpers across the slope they'll roll every time I lay them down. But, if I set up parallel to the slope I'll end up with one foot slightly higher than the other when lifitng. It would only be a slight difference, but I don't know if it would cause problems seeing as I'm new to O lifts. Any thoughts or suggestions?
Old 04-06-2006, 09:37 PM   #2
Veronica Carpenter

Profile:
Jason, I'd make a double layer platform with 4 pieces of 4x8 good quality plywood (that's the size they come in the US) screw them with the bottom layer going horizontally and the top vertically. This is how we set up warm-up platforms for meets. As far as stall mats - you can take them or leave them. I have to lift on rubber mats at the gym I belong to and my shoes don't "stick"

Option 2 is a bit more time consuming and I wouldn't want to assemble/disassemble this one too often: lay 2x4's (4" sides facing) side to side until you have an 8x8x4" platform and fasten with a very long bolt through all the boards, with the nuts and bolt heads countersunk in the end boards. screw 1 layer (2-4x8 pieces) of plywood on top.

As far as the slope, lift facing down hill. It makes the pull a little harder because you're working against gravity, but IMHO, that's better than working with one leg higher than the other. You can stick some layers of tape on the floor in front of your bumpers to keep them from rolling downhill. Then again you can probably switch directions every workout or so without any adverse affect.

That's my 2 cents.

(Message edited by vgcarp on April 06, 2006)
Old 04-07-2006, 01:37 AM   #3
Christian Lemburg

Profile:
Jason,

see http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/26/22336.html for another thread on this topic - for me, using bumpers plus one layer of 18mm plywood with several layers of old carpets nailed to it does the trick. I have made two boards sized 80x120cm that I can drop on the floor to work out between them. Of course, this is not perfect with respect to safety if you have to "walk around" with heavy weights, but you could always add a third board in the middle to even out the floor, and secure the boards with some bolt option so they don't move relative to each other (hey, that is a good idea - maybe I should implement that for myself).

Cheers,

Christian
Old 04-07-2006, 06:47 AM   #4
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:
I haved moved my platforms, no problem. (I wouldn't disassemble them every week, however.) Just don't glue the plywood together. Use screws.
Old 04-13-2006, 08:44 AM   #5
Joseph Hart

Profile:
I think of the wierdest things while driving...Would this work for a platform? Build two 4'x8' frames made out of 2x4s on edge with stringers that run the 4' direction. Bolt them together along the 8' side. Cover with plywood, Glue the 2'x8' stall mats on the side and screw down the center 4x8 sheet of plywood along the edges. It may be too tall and too much. Just a thought.

Joe
Old 04-13-2006, 10:15 AM   #6
Jason Billows

Profile:
Good thinking Joeseph. Probably would work.

My only concern would be the hollow spots under the plywood or matts. They could be vulnerable to holes being punched through the surface.
Old 04-13-2006, 11:34 AM   #7
Joseph Hart

Profile:
Driving again...I suspect if you put the 2x4s close enough together (6" on center) and use 3/4 plywood. They have some stuff that has a butt load of layers (considerably more than the normal stuff Mirco laminations?). I would sheet each frame with plwood and have a center sheet normal 3/4 on top(across bolted joint) and rubber glued on top of the sheeted frame.
Old 04-13-2006, 01:14 PM   #8
Veronica Carpenter

Profile:
I'd rather put 2 layers of plywood screwed together on a cement floor than have a 2x4 "frame" underneath. The weight of heavy bumpers being dropped would eventually (in not a very long time) destroy the plywood on top - seen it happen. If I were going to go through the trouble of building a platform that will last, I'd do it with 2x4's butted together and bolted through, then fasten the plywood and/or mats on top.