CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 03-22-2007, 12:18 PM   #1
Max Rosenthal

Profile:
So I'm on day three of paleo diet, but my major issue is that I'm living in a barracks, so I have no options to cook on my own and chow hall food seems pretty awful for this kind of stuff. My daily routine is starting to look like this:

Breakfast (rarely eat it): scrambled eggs with mushroom, tomato, and onion; maybe bacon or sausage; lots of fruit

Lunch and Dinner: some meat (sometimes comes down to a burger off the bun with the available options); bowl of salad; orange or apple

Also snacking on almonds and some fruit

I started this off of the simplefit website, so I've generally been trying to eat small meals and stop eating around 6-7 pm. So far, though, been prone to lots of bad headaches and hunger and I'm starting to feel myself go south on this kind of nutrition already. So I'm wondering the following:
1) What kinds of paleo snacks/foods are good to keep around if all you have is a fridge and a microwave? (keeping in mind price as well...as much as I would like to buy out the local Whole Foods, I can't)
2) Should I be more lax on portion control and eating at night, and how much if so? ie am I screwing myself with eating small and trying to do IF.

I'm totally new to this, so any advice is greatly appreciated, especially from other military people who may have had to deal with the DFAC's stranglehold on your eating habits.
Old 03-22-2007, 03:07 PM   #2
George Mounce

Profile:
These symptoms I've gone through before, and it will get better!

First of all make sure you are drinking plenty of water. You can never get enough, and if you are going to the bathroom regularly thats a good thing, its your body cleansing out the stuff thats been sitting in there for a long time.

Think of it this way, you know you ate, you know you ate enough, so why are you feeling a headache and hunger? Most of the time its dehydration.

The hunger and headaches can also be your taste buds and your brain reacting to a change in diet. It will go away! Your body is getting good foods that will help you and has to break the habit of all the toxins that bad processed foods put in you. You just need to power through it and know that once your body has cleansed itself through good eating, you will feel A LOT better! Its like instead of putting sugar in your gas tank you are putting premium high power jet fuel that is cleansing all the impurities off the fuel lines.

Fridge and microwave? Nuts, whole paleo fruits and veggies, and lots of good clean water.
Old 03-22-2007, 07:15 PM   #3
Scott Clark

Profile:

The headaches and hunger pangs will subside if you stick to it long enough (1-2 weeks should clear this up). It's amazing how much control sugar and grain has over our bodies huh?

Stick with it.
Old 03-23-2007, 12:02 PM   #4
Max Rosenthal

Profile:
Thanks, guys. I've been trying to snack a little more during the day without eating at night and it helps. I am, however, a little worried about the fat content of the meat I'm getting. How bad is it if I can't be eating lean meat on a regular basis (or at all) but I'm still sticking to the paleo guidelines?
Old 03-23-2007, 03:06 PM   #5
George Mounce

Profile:
You can always cut the fat off the meat if you can see it, take the skin off chicken, and stay away from the chowhall burgers...that stuff just soaks in grease. Most chowhalls offer tuna which is excellent a couple times a week, just get it on a salad and it makes a wonderful meal.

Go with the chicken breasts if you can't get anything else, its what I hit at the chow hall today on top of a salad.

I noticed you said "breakfast - rarely eat it." Change that right away. You've been asleep for 7-8 hours (hopefully) and your tank is empty whether you feel it or not. The scrambled eggs are good, I prefer to eat hard boiled whites and a couple pieces of fruit. A good thing is 2 tbsp of almond butter on apple slices, its currently my #1 snack.

I would say I understand small portions, but don't go so small that you are hungry all the time. Hunger is just that, your body telling you you aren't eating enough (don't confuse it with dehydration though).

If you are also worried about the protein part of the diet, whey powder is an excellent way to go. I would stay away from the fancy stuff and hit just a normal whey protein mix. May taste like crap as a snack for you, but its better then say, a fat loaded bag of MSG chips.

Keep up the good fight!
Old 03-23-2007, 04:12 PM   #6
Garrett Smith

Profile:
For meats:
Canned wild Tongol tuna, herring, and sardines in olive oil. No sauces, only in either water or olive oil. There is higher protein in the non-sauce versions.

Veggies & fruit: Pre-cut baby carrots and other pre-cut veggies. Some, not much, of dried fruit. Fruit.

Nuts: Raw almonds, non-organic due to the outrageous price of organic almonds and the fact that nuts come in a shell (hence less exposure to the part you're actually eating). Almond butter is another good suggestion (already said).