CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 03-12-2007, 01:00 AM   #11
Francisco Rodriguez

Profile:
enjoying my caffeine again =P
Old 03-12-2007, 01:25 PM   #12
Matt DeMinico

Profile:
All's I've got to say is this... when doing CF you're raising your heart rate to levels that most people never even touch, some of us hit maximum heart rate, some don't. So what I'm saying is, if your heart is naturally going up to its maximum rate because of the exercise, and caffeine stimulates the heart to beat faster than normal, wouldn't that try to push you OVER your maximum heart rate? Basically your heart would be getting two (or at least one extra) signals... the first would be from your brain and natural stimulants your body uses to increase your heart rate. The second would be an unnatural stimulant that is telling your heart to beat faster, possibly overstraining it.

To me it's foolish (yes, I said foolish, and you can disagree with me if you want) to take caffeine before a workout, especially a vigorous one like CF.
Old 03-12-2007, 02:56 PM   #13
Francisco Rodriguez

Profile:
it's caffeine not crack. matt.. i can appreciate your reasoning but i'll stick to my moderate caffeine consumption for now. i will agree to disagree however.. i'd hardly call it 'foolish' to consume caffeine prior to a workout.

i might agree w/ you if it were a ECA stack.. or more potent stimulant. it's not that your logic is lacking, by no means.. but a post with some references would be great. i welcome your opinions.. all information is good to hear =P

Old 03-14-2007, 11:02 AM   #14
Eric Lester

Profile:
Caffeine only has one entry in the Index of "Enter the Zone". The relevant info is in a list of "hints that will help you reach the Zone". Here it is verbatim :-)

"4. Always drink at least 8 ounces of water or a sugar-free decaffeinated beverage with every meal or snack. If you are a heavy caffeine user, gradually reduce caffeine intake to zero whenever possible. (The breakdown products of caffeine will tend to increase insulin levels, and thus drive you out of the Zone."

As this is the only mention in this particular book I'm doubting moderate intake will affect whether or not you are in The Zone very much.
Old 03-14-2007, 11:06 AM   #15
Eric Lester

Profile:
As for the Creatine:

Yes, if it is one with a loading mechanism (sugar) then it works by spiking insulin. However, if you figure the sugar content as carbs into a post workout Zone meal then I would assume the negative effect would be dampened.

If it were me I would use the new creatine in the morning then use the EAS with the sugar during a post workout zone meal until it's gone. Or at least until there was so little of it left I didn't feel bad about throwing it away ($5 worth of creatine is easier to throw away than $45!).
Old 03-14-2007, 04:14 PM   #16
Ted Williams

Profile:
On caffeine - I find that I can't actually do the WOD on caffeine, but love my now regular double espresso (LavAzza brand, home mocha-pot) about 30 minutes after the WOD. Go figure....