CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 12-26-2008, 07:27 PM   #1
Jagtar Mukhtar

Profile:
Novice looking for training advice (strength and conditioning)

Hello Everyone -- I've recently found out about crossfit and this forum and have found the posters to be very helpful to beginners so i thought to join and ask for some help in setting some realistic goals and going about achieving them.

I went to the gym 2 weeks ago and had a fitness appraisal done and I was told I have the following stats:

Height: 6'3
Weight: 99.3 kg
Jackson-Pollock 7 Pinch Fat%: 24.1
Lean Weight: 75.4 kg
Fat Weight: 23.9 kg
Resting Heart Rate (BPM): 83.0
Resting Blood Pressure: 130/74

I would like to be 100kg at 10% bf by 10th of July which was 7 months exactly when i started. Is this realistic? I would have to gain 1.5kg/month to achieve this while dropping a similar amount of bodyfat per month.

I've been doing starting strength and have the following starting and current weights:

Squats: 60kg (80kg)
Bench Press: 45kg (52.5 kg)
Deadlift: 70 kg (90 kg)
Press: 35 kg (40 kg)
Power Clean: 45kg (50kg)

Diet wise i have a protein shake for breakfast, 3 whole eggs, chicken and a litre of milk for lunch, and fruit/veges, litre of milk, some sort of bread, and a protein shake. I think the calories would be less than 2500 but i dont find the weights heavy yet.

I was thinking of doing SS from december to march (3 months), then doing a 20 rep squat program for 2 months (mid may) to gain loads of muscle, then leaving the next 2 months free for conditioning, reducing fat, and so on. depending on my condition in may, i might just do SS for those last 2 months, or i might do no SS but just something else like crossfit. Does this sound like a reasonble plan?

I might not get to 100kg @ 10%bf, but even if i can get to say 90-95kg at 10-15% i'll be happy.

Last edited by Jagtar Mukhtar : 12-26-2008 at 07:40 PM.
Old 12-26-2008, 07:31 PM   #2
Ed Walto

Profile:
Re: Novice looking for training advice (strength and conditioning)

Jagtar,

Not sure what your metabolism is, but if you follow a healthy diet and the Crossfit site, you should have no problems reaching your goals. Remember, Crossfit only gives you what you put in. The results can be huge, if you pour your heart into every WOD. Good Luck!
Old 12-26-2008, 07:36 PM   #3
David Stout

Profile:

100% CrossFit may actually suit you here (CF plus Zone that is)

If you're liking the SS though and aren't wanting to drop it, you'll likely need to switch at some point to accomplish your body comp/asethetic goals.

Last edited by David Stout : 12-26-2008 at 07:37 PM. Reason: added nutrition caveat
Old 12-26-2008, 07:51 PM   #4
Jagtar Mukhtar

Profile:

Thanks guys, what sort of timeline do you recommend for CF? and for Zone? Can i do Zone while on SS?
Old 12-27-2008, 02:53 AM   #5
Alex Europa

Profile:

Considering your goals, I don't think that SS is a good fit for you. SS is designed for skinny teenagers to gain weight. If you head over to Strength Mill (where Rip runs a SS forum, mainly W/F/S except for Rip'isms) you'll most likely read posts that say that if you're looking to lose weight, SS (especially with the milk) is not a good choice.

As others have said, CF + Zone is actually a perfect fit for you. Don't be fooled into thinking that you won't gain muscle mass on CrossFit alone. You'll hear the BB/PL purists whine about it all day long on other forums, but one just has to visit the Testimonials section of these boards to see pictures that prove otherwise.

Welcome and good luck!

- Alex
Old 12-27-2008, 09:36 AM   #6
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

i think switching to CF till you tone down some. you'll most likely lose size but it sounds as if you're a newbie, so just working the lifts through cf will cause your numbers and strength to go up.

if they stagnate, you could see about putting in lift days before the wod and playing around with that.

best focus now is to probably lose weight, feel great, have fun doing it while everything gets better. or hell, you could probably work in lifting before wod's right now.

oh, yeah-probably cleaning up your diet is the first step. however, that in itself won't get you in better shape. i have two friend who have done so and they are still soft and squishy and weak because they have yet to commit to doing any exercise. not even f'n walking or yardwork or anything active besides their office jobs. sometimes i see a change in diet affect people if they already have some activity. without it though and the changes are small.

much of my family, the women have changed their diet with very little difference in body comp even though it got better.
Old 12-28-2008, 12:01 AM   #7
Jagtar Mukhtar

Profile:

I have access to a power rack, olympic bar, weights (~160kg), pull up thingy and a bench. No kettle-bells, bands, back-extension chair, etc. Can i still do crossfit?

Last edited by Jagtar Mukhtar : 12-28-2008 at 12:20 AM.
Old 12-28-2008, 12:18 AM   #8
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

CF is confusing? You passed the WOD on the main page to get here. JUst do that.
Old 12-28-2008, 12:53 AM   #9
Alex Europa

Profile:

Yes, you can easily do CF with all of the stuff you listed! That's a great list to start with. Kettlebells can be replaced by dumbells. Back extensions can be *kinda* done on a regular bench with your heels anchored under something. The bands might help with pull-ups, but you can do jumping pull-ups also...besides bands are cheap, like $40. You might consider picking up some rings, also cheap...around $80.

Get ready for a wild ride. LOL

- Alex
Old 12-28-2008, 09:54 AM   #10
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Jagtar, you can do Good Mornings instead of a back extension. There is some way to do them on an exercise swiss ball, but I think mine is too big for me to do it on.

If you have a swiss ball and a doorframe pullup bar that is adjustable and does not hang from the top you can lock your ankles in at your achilles and lay on the ball and do back extensions or swiss ball situps similar to a GHD. We used to call them giant situps when done inverted over a bar or beam.

Bands are not really necessary but can be helpful in some movements. Jumping PU, negative down instead of strict or body rows ( where your body is diagonal or horizontal.

KB are nice but bloody expensive and are used sparingly in the WOD's. Filthy 50 and Eva come to mind, I think. Oh yeah, Helen and Nate. Bug me, I'm wrong. Just use a heavier DB than rx'd.