CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout of the Day
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout of the Day Questions & performance regarding CrossFit's WOD

Old 12-19-2008, 11:16 AM   #1
Ryan Gregory

Profile:
Fri Dec 12 - 'Filthy Fifty' Questions!!

For time:
50 Box jump, 24 inch box
50 Jumping pull-ups
50 Kettlebell swings, 1 pood
Walking Lunge, 50 steps
50 Knees to elbows
50 Push press, 45 pounds
50 Back extensions
50 Wall ball shots, 20 pound ball
50 Burpees
50 Double unders

-At my 'fantastic' gym, we don't have any stable BOXES for me to do box-jumps on!! We do have risers that I can choose the height and step up onto, but if I jump on it, I'll flip it. Any suggestions!?!? Squats instead? Jumps onto something, even though much smaller? Quick step-ups!? (there is no sub for box jumps - because EVERY GYM should have boxes!)

-Already posted that I don't know how to do jumping pullups (and can't watch the video here at work).

-Don't think we have a 20lb Med ball that I can do wallball shots with ten ft. onto a wall. So am I right in reading that I'd use a 40lb weight, or 2 smaller DBs in each hand and do the full thruster (squat& press), even though the wallball throws do have the squat component (i don't think, again no video)!

-I can skip pretty well, but can't do doubleunders for the life of me (as i found out earlier this week) It's something I’m working on, but I’m so bad at them, that tuck jumps have to be the sub!

-Lastly, only to confirm for anyone else who is going to question it as well - when it says 45lbs, that's the total weight. So the push-press is just the Oly Bar (45lbs)

Thanks again guys & gals!
(...I'm amped for this workout, it's a sickness really)

Last edited by Ryan Gregory : 12-19-2008 at 11:18 AM.
Old 12-19-2008, 11:27 AM   #2
Michael Wengloski

Profile:
Re: Fri Dec 12 - 'Filthy Fifty' Questions!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Gregory View Post
For time:
50 Box jump, 24 inch box
50 Jumping pull-ups
50 Kettlebell swings, 1 pood
Walking Lunge, 50 steps
50 Knees to elbows
50 Push press, 45 pounds
50 Back extensions
50 Wall ball shots, 20 pound ball
50 Burpees
50 Double unders

-At my 'fantastic' gym, we don't have any stable BOXES for me to do box-jumps on!! We do have risers that I can choose the height and step up onto, but if I jump on it, I'll flip it. Any suggestions!?!? Squats instead? Jumps onto something, even though much smaller? Quick step-ups!? (there is no sub for box jumps - because EVERY GYM should have boxes!)

-Already posted that I don't know how to do jumping pullups (and can't watch the video here at work).

-Don't think we have a 20lb Med ball that I can do wallball shots with ten ft. onto a wall. So am I right in reading that I'd use a 40lb weight, or 2 smaller DBs in each hand and do the full thruster (squat& press), even though the wallball throws do have the squat component (i don't think, again no video)!

-I can skip pretty well, but can't do doubleunders for the life of me (as i found out earlier this week) It's something Iím working on, but Iím so bad at them, that tuck jumps have to be the sub!

-Lastly, only to confirm for anyone else who is going to question it as well - when it says 45lbs, that's the total weight. So the push-press is just the Oly Bar (45lbs)

Thanks again guys & gals!
(...I'm amped for this workout, it's a sickness really)

I'm sure there is a bench somewhere in your gym you can jump onto.

Jumping pull ups are exactly what it says. Jump, grab the bar and pull yourself up.

Wallball subs and double under subs are BOTH listed in the FAQ, go ahead and read that whole thing. Lots of good info.

Yes, just the bar.

Read the FAQ!
Old 12-19-2008, 01:20 PM   #3
Brian Bedell

Profile:

I thought a jumping pullup was more that you jumped up, and let yourself down slow; concentrating on the eccentric/negative phase.
Old 12-19-2008, 01:50 PM   #4
David Stout

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Bedell View Post
I thought a jumping pullup was more that you jumped up, and let yourself down slow; concentrating on the eccentric/negative phase.
Re: the above quote and questions about how to do jumping pull-ups.

Quote directly from the mainpage (from 060626 & 060627):

Quote:
Set-up so that your pull-up bar is about nine inches below your max reach and jump vigorously for each rep. Count only the reps where you go from full arm and shoulder extension to chin over the bar.

The work required to perform jumping pull-ups [video] is identical to that required for strict or kipping pull-ups. Quite obviously, max rep pull-ups are limited by stamina (localized muscular endurance); what is less obvious are the metabolic costs of performing pull-ups. Just attempting 100 jumping pull-ups gives the athlete a taste of what would be required metabolically to perform higher rep pull-ups by any method - especially kipping because they accrue at a similar rate.
This is demoed in the video above (WFS link from mainpage) as well as in the Filthy 50 video (WFS): Video
Old 12-19-2008, 01:51 PM   #5
Chris Walls

Profile:

It's not an intentionally slowed down eccentric phase. Think about it like a jump assisted pull-up and a pull assisted jump up. You actively push yourself back down to full extension and then jump back up. These are chest to bar pull-ups done from a height where you have a slightly bent arm at standing.

The key to these sucking is the cycle time.

This is of course, my understanding and how we do them here. They aren't just a scaled pull-up, they are a beast unto themselves.

edit: got beat out with a more official explanation.