CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 07-23-2008, 10:35 PM   #1
Kevin Kaeating

Profile:
health or performance?

i personally feel that zone/paleo are the healthiest ways to go and feel great when doing it, in fact ive never had better endurance. the problem comes performance as a whole. my strength levels for max effort are much much higher on a higher calorie powerlifter style diet, say precision nutrition by john berardi or starting strength style. so can we have both? max effort strength , endurance, and health in the ultimate little secret package? ive been searching for 3 years now and cant find it. my goals are 205 lbs, 5% bf strength, endurance and health. currently 182 lbs 5% bf.

my recent adaption consistes of 4 meals daily, 100 g of carbs at 50/50 ratio of medium/high glycemic index and very low. 49g of lean protein and handful of almonds and or olive oil. seems to really cut me up i can feel it right after a meal i get very lean and muscles get strong and full. however endurance lacks, its expensive and probably not the pinnacle of health. great strength and would easily pack on muscle for heavy lifts if thats all i wanted.actually personal record of 420 lbs deadlift off it.

ive tried the zone many times for long periods of time, the only time my weight regulated was 4 meals a day 7 block meals and olive oil and almonds at every meal. ..i was broke.
Old 07-23-2008, 11:15 PM   #2
Derek Weaver

Profile:

Re: health or performance?

28 blocks????

With your recent food plan is that 100 grams of carbs 49 grams of protein and a handful of almonds or some other fat per meal or as a whole? I'll guess per meal.

Why not go with a more manageable 18-20 blocks at something like 10x fat or even more?

With 400 grams of carbs per day, you shouldn't be lacking in terms of muscle glycogen... what kind of work are you doing? CF? Powerlifting + GPP work (sled work etc.)?

To be honest, I may be really tired, but I'm kind of confused by your post.
Old 07-24-2008, 09:10 AM   #3
Kevin Kaeating

Profile:

no, i have tried 28 blocks, 4 or 5x fat just regulated. hmm am i wrong or does 5x fat block of 5 block meal = 25 blocks of fat / 8 tsp of olive oil? wow. now i am on a modified precision nutrition plan, which was the 100 grams of carbs i referred to ,not the zone. but im thinking of trying the high fat again but thats alot of olive oil a day my god ( 32 tsps of it daily). maybe ill try 20 blocks at 5x again.

i am doing 3 days of power lifting and 3 days of metcon.
Old 07-24-2008, 12:31 PM   #4
Derek Weaver

Profile:

Wow... that's a really fast metabolism.

How much volume are the powerlifting days and how long are the metcons?
Old 07-24-2008, 12:54 PM   #5
Kevin Kaeating

Profile:

were talking somewhere between 1 hour of weights and 20 min crossfits
Old 07-24-2008, 02:14 PM   #6
Derek Weaver

Profile:

How much total volume though for the power lifting days? Are you hitting 2 or more exercises at 5x5?

Look into reducing the CF's to 10-15, even as low as 5 minutes (Fran for example).

What are your goals for the moment? You mentioned in your first post that endurance was lacking.... we're talking performance-wise right now, not just body weight.

If you've got an insane training volume, it's going to take a lot of food and rest to keep things normal.
Old 07-24-2008, 06:17 PM   #7
Kevin Kaeating

Profile:

ill just keep experimenting heh
Old 07-24-2008, 11:46 PM   #8
Derek Weaver

Profile:

Good call. I am no advocate of the Zone (though I am tinkering with a modified Zone approach myself at the moment) and in your case it sounds like you need something different.

I would figure that if endurance is lacking it's more due to your programming than your diet. Plenty of carbs, if you're only doing metcons and powerlifting, try throwing in a 5k or something every other rest day... or swap out every 3rd metcon with a distance run.