CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 06-10-2008, 10:05 AM   #1
Kevin Kaeating

Profile:
middle road zone help plz.

ive been doing zone on and off for 3 years now. where is the middle road? i mean when i zone at 7 block meals 4 times a day thats the max i can eat or afford in a day but i do not get enough calories. i love the cardio results and mental clarity but lose strength. i just do not get enough calories period. regardless of math and figures i dont get enough i know this from the mirror and from a long history of powerlifting. i dont want to add milk (reasons) i cant add much more fat ( already eating ton of almonds and olive oil per meal) there has to be a way to have the strength and size of a powerlifter with the cardio of a crossfitter? there is always a way i see guys like anthony bainbridge and pro heavyweight mma fighters do it.
Old 06-10-2008, 10:12 AM   #2
Jack Gayton

Profile:
Re: middle road zone help plz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Kaeating View Post
ive been doing zone on and off for 3 years now. where is the middle road? i mean when i zone at 7 block meals 4 times a day thats the max i can eat or afford in a day but i do not get enough calories. i love the cardio results and mental clarity but lose strength. i just do not get enough calories period. regardless of math and figures i dont get enough i know this from the mirror and from a long history of powerlifting. i dont want to add milk (reasons) i cant add much more fat ( already eating ton of almonds and olive oil per meal) there has to be a way to have the strength and size of a powerlifter with the cardio of a crossfitter? there is always a way i see guys like anthony bainbridge and pro heavyweight mma fighters do it.
You are eating 28 blocks a day and not getting enough calories? Wow. Wish there was something I could add or advice, but I can't even comprehend that much food.
Old 06-10-2008, 10:22 AM   #3
Tim Luby

Profile:

Quote:
there has to be a way to have the strength and size of a powerlifter with the cardio of a crossfitter?
Not really. You can be strong and have great conditioning, but "strength and size of a powerlifter is probably unattainable for most doing crossfit (at least the size part).

I'm not unlike you--I'm aiming to increase strength and conditioning simultaneously as well. Check out Gant Grimes' log and "hybrid programming" post. This may be right up your ally. Check out my log for laughs as well
Old 06-10-2008, 11:02 AM   #4
Elliot Fuller

Profile:

Quote:
there has to be a way to have the strength and size of a powerlifter with the cardio of a crossfitter?
To be honest, MMA fighters don't typically look like power lifters to me in the first place. I'd say they (some of them, anyways) have crossfit bodies, not powerlifting bodies. I think you need to decide what's more important to you. You can have good lifts, but a "powerlifting body" is pretty inefficient as far as metcon goes... you're better off weighing a healthy, natural weight for your height and body type, assuming performance is your end goal.

You have not provided any of your stats:

Age/Body Weight/LBM/Height?

28 blocks is not enough calories? You need to check your food sources then, man, or check your math at least. If you're eating as much as you say you are, odds are you should be gaining weight. You can add fat blocks, but something honestly tells me you're either already eating more than enough, or are measuring your blocks incorrectly.

At 28 blocks I'm willing to bet you're pushing 3,000 as it is...
Old 06-10-2008, 11:14 AM   #5
Kevin Kaeating

Profile:

28yrs old/175-180 lbs/ 7%bf/5'11 a typical 7 blocker to me would be 1 apple 1 orange 1bananna ,, can of tuna mixed with olive oil and mayo, 3 ounce of cheese , hand full of almonds.sometimes the tuna on bread instead of orange and apple (4 blocks) and baked in the oven to melt cheese. i know my blocks well i think, i have the book for reference all the time. I struggle to keep my weight at 170- 180 with this. now mind you lol......im a roughneck on an oil rig right now , i guess i forgot that lol.
Old 06-10-2008, 06:50 PM   #6
Elliot Fuller

Profile:

7% body fat of 180 pounds is 167.4 pounds lean body mass.

Assuming 0.7g protein per pound of LBM = 117g of protein per day.

117g of protein divided by 7g protein per block = 16.7 blocks.

So at your weight, and 0.7g protein per pound of LBM, you should be at around 17 blocks.

Even at 0.8g protein per pound of LBM, you're looking at around 19 blocks.

I'm curious where you're getting the 7 block meal/28 block daily prescription from? And more importantly, if your "prescription" is 17 blocks (19 blocks max), I can't imagine you're not gaining weight eating 27 to 28 blocks a day; nearly 3 times as much as you should ideally be eating.
Old 06-10-2008, 07:35 PM   #7
Christopher G. Woods

Profile:

Part of your problem might be that a lot of the protein you are eating is not being absorbed. The zone diet specifically says that meals should not exceed 5 blocks. The reason for this is that your body cannot properly absorb more than 35 grams of protein at a time. Also, you should be eating five meals a day, not four. The frequency of the meals is important to maintain your blood sugar evenly over the course of the day. The lack of nutrient absorbtion and spiking blood sugar levels are probably why you are feeling a loss of strength. I can't explain the lack of mass increase. Are you doing any training other than CrossFit?
Old 06-11-2008, 03:52 AM   #8
Kevin Kaeating

Profile:

well im doing me black box and also mma sometimes. i work on oil rigs as a roughneck which drains loads of calories, i feel that im just not gettting enough calories. i came to conclusion of 7 block prescription from trial and error, iwas losing mass at a much slower rate at that prescription. ive also read something interesting though, that if you take in too much protein your body uses it as a fuel source and when you miss a meal or portion of it your body will eat up muscle for fuel? hmm i dont know ive been using my body like a lab rat for 5 years and have gone from 220 15% bf to 170 5% bf in that time. Im still jumping between starting strength or body builder type of diets to zone whenever i start to lose too much weight. cant be good. need answers..lol
Old 06-11-2008, 05:15 AM   #9
Craig Van De Walker

Profile:

Kevin,
How high is your fat multiplier? If you are eating that many blocks what is a "ton" of extra fat? Are you above 7x fat yet? 7x28x3x9= more than 5,200 fat calories alone (if I did the math correctly). In addition to your zone protein and carbs. If you were at 7x fat I would assume about 1,800 for carbs and protein putting you at ~7,000 cals. If you are truly losing weight on 7K of food I am not sure what to tell you...

I did know a monster of a man once who told me he had to eat about 10K a day to keep his weight stable, but he was ~380.