CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 10-01-2007, 09:46 AM   #1
Brandon Oto

Profile:
Eat poorly, or eat later?

So if you're forced by circumstances -- being "away" from good food is the obvious -- to either eat off your diet (anywhere from pure sugary junk to something like a deli sandwich) or to just skip eating until you can eat well... which do you pick?
Old 10-01-2007, 10:31 AM   #2
Victor Putz

Profile:
Re: Eat poorly, or eat later?

I generally go with "eat something so that I don't binge later, but get something as healthy and small as possible to mitigate the damage done" route--stave off hunger until you can eat a proper meal.

Failed last night though and wound up having a doner kebab from a van since most restaurants were closed... ugh. Saved money, but I paid. Ook.
Old 10-01-2007, 10:38 AM   #3
Scott Kustes

Profile:

Eat later if you can control yourself from binging. There is little worry of starving in our culture. A bit of fasting is good for you.
Old 10-01-2007, 12:14 PM   #4
Sarena Kopciel

Profile:

What about if your option is to just grab a fruit somewhere, maybe a few nuts but without protein? ?it or starve til you can get the whole deal, perhaps winding up with a headache?
Old 10-01-2007, 01:19 PM   #5
Jason Fryer

Profile:

Being a fan of intermittent fasting on occasion, I would opt for eating later. I've also realized that there is an enormous difference between societal meal timing such as noon is lunchtime versus actual hunger.

I try not to eat when I am not really hungry and unless my last meal was over 5 hours ago, I generally don't get genuinely hungry.
Old 10-01-2007, 01:40 PM   #6
Brandon Oto

Profile:

For what it's worth, I think there's a difference between training your body to utilize nutrients on an IF basis, and just missing meals for 8 hours when you're used to eating every 4.
Old 10-01-2007, 03:55 PM   #7
Ted Williams

Profile:

All depends on the situation. If the crap food available isn't "too" bad I'll eat it...if it is I'll just wait it out. As an example, I was stuck on a nasty layover from a work trip a couple months ago...sitting in an airport late at night. The only thing open that I could find was Starbucks, so I bought a turkey sandwich and a mocha. I ended up eating just the turkey and lettuce and drinking the mocha...worked. The bread looked downright scary...
Old 10-01-2007, 06:34 PM   #8
Brad Davis

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Oto View Post
For what it's worth, I think there's a difference between training your body to utilize nutrients on an IF basis, and just missing meals for 8 hours when you're used to eating every 4.
I'd say one big difference is that if you're not used to going more than 4 hours, then you'd feel like total crud much after that. At least I would.

I intermittently intermittent fast meaning that I IF sometimes, but not always. I just get tired of one way and switch it.

It is amazing to me that, on days I IF, I really don't get hungry at all until about 1.5 hours before overfeeding begins at 4pm. When I'm not IFing, if I eat a couple of meals early, then try to wait more than about 4 hours, I start to feel bad in a hurry.

This whole question, BTW, is a great example of why IF is sooooo cool. Fix ALL food in the evening under optimal circumstances--problem solved.
Old 10-01-2007, 06:40 PM   #9
TC

Profile:

I travel alot and if I find my self getting hungry I pound water to keep the hunger down and it seems to work well I always have water on me and there are always places to fill up the bottle or chew gum that seems to work well also