CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 03-01-2015, 06:34 AM   #151
Eric R Cohen

Profile:
Re: 2015 CrossFit Open, Regionals, and Games Thread

Looking at my Masters div (M50-54), why are people competing in scaled and getting scores of over 200 reps and 200lbs? If you can do that, why are you competing in the scaled division? Like this guy... http://games.crossfit.com/athlete/125965 WFS. Why would he compete in scaled???? Anyone?
Old 03-01-2015, 07:26 AM   #152
Jon Campbell

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric R Cohen View Post
Looking at my Masters div (M50-54), why are people competing in scaled and getting scores of over 200 reps and 200lbs? If you can do that, why are you competing in the scaled division? Like this guy... http://games.crossfit.com/athlete/125965 WFS. Why would he compete in scaled???? Anyone?
Maybe he can't do Toes to Bar? Maybe he's sandbagging.

Pretty much any competition like this with different classes you will have this. The people at the top of the lower class should probably be competing in the higher class.
Old 03-01-2015, 08:29 AM   #153
Eric R Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Campbell View Post
Maybe he can't do Toes to Bar? Maybe he's sandbagging.

Pretty much any competition like this with different classes you will have this. The people at the top of the lower class should probably be competing in the higher class.
I find it hard to believe that if you can bang out 100+ reps of knee hangs, you can't do T2B. I guess it's sandbagging, but what do you gain being top of the scaled division? I'm the best of the people that couldn't do the RX workout? Seems pretty lame to me.
Old 03-01-2015, 09:32 AM   #154
Diana Alt

Profile:

I find it absolutely believable that an athlete could do 100+ knee raises and not do any TTB. The mechanics are very, very different and the difference in pulling up just knees versus getting your legs all the way up is huge. I could do the knee raises all day - my score was limited by having almost no grip. And there are far better athletes than my at my gym with the same issues.
Old 03-01-2015, 09:43 AM   #155
Christopher Morris

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Lawler View Post
So here's the question...do you get prize money for winning ALL of 15.1 (including 15.1A) or is there prize money for each 15.1 and 15.1A? Maybe someone with no shot at regionals stands around for 9minutes, and then hits an insane C+J, wins 15.1A, gets $2,015.
Here is your answer: http://games.crossfit.com/article/fu...d-151-and-151a (wfs)

Quote:
After seeing several cases of team competitors blatantly ignoring the triplet in order to focus solely on lifting heavy, CrossFit Games organizers have decided to invalidate the efforts of more than 20 athletes whose performances clearly strayed from the intent of the two-part workout.
It is, after all, a CrossFit competition, not a weightlifting competition.
Old 03-01-2015, 09:44 AM   #156
Tommy A Miller

Profile:

Im king of the dumb questions but here it goes; while im planning on filming my 15.1 workout if i choose to be judged by an individual can it be by someone who understands the movement standards or does it have to be by an approved judge from say an affiliate?
Old 03-01-2015, 11:04 AM   #157
Katrina Fox

Profile:

Quote:
Isn't the master's scaled T2B doing sit ups?

ETA: Oops, went and looked and it is only sit up for the upper age brackets.

Last edited by Katrina Fox : 03-01-2015 at 11:11 AM. Reason: Incorrect info
Old 03-01-2015, 11:32 AM   #158
Beth Martino

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy A Miller View Post
Im king of the dumb questions but here it goes; while im planning on filming my 15.1 workout if i choose to be judged by an individual can it be by someone who understands the movement standards or does it have to be by an approved judge from say an affiliate?
If you are submitting a video to be judged online then only registered judges that passed the course are allowed to mark it as good/needs review/invalid. If you are not doing the workout at an affiliate, you MUST choose this option.

If you're doing it at an affiliate, then usually anyone can judge you during the workout, although it's the affiliate's responsibility to make sure anyone judging understands the standards. The affiliate manager, who must have passed the judge's course, then validates your score. They're basically certifying that all the judges at their box understand the standards and properly held the athletes to them.
Old 03-01-2015, 06:16 PM   #159
Mike Darlington

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Alt View Post
I find it absolutely believable that an athlete could do 100+ knee raises and not do any TTB. The mechanics are very, very different and the difference in pulling up just knees versus getting your legs all the way up is huge. I could do the knee raises all day - my score was limited by having almost no grip. And there are far better athletes than my at my gym with the same issues.
^This. We have lots of people who can do knee raises all day but no TTB. The last 30% of the full movement is pretty tough for most people.
Old 03-02-2015, 04:05 AM   #160
Scott Jenkins

Profile:

Quote:
I find it hard to believe that if you can bang out 100+ reps of knee hangs, you can't do T2B. I guess it's sandbagging, but what do you gain being top of the scaled division? I'm the best of the people that couldn't do the RX workout? Seems pretty lame to me.
I have a girl at my gym who has a great engine but does not have TTB. She scored 216 on the scaled workout with knee raises on Friday. If she had attempted RX Friday it would of been 9 minutes of failing reps. She has now learnt TTB which is the magic of the open, makes people that are close to achieving things finally push that little extra or put a few extra hours of practice. And tonight she attempts it RX.

So basically your wrong, it does not mean somebody is sandbagging just because they can knock out 100s of knee raises and not hit a TTB.
Fran 3:19. Diane 2:49. Elizabeth 5:48. Cindy 26+21. Helen 7:50. JT 7:03. Grace 1.56
www.crossfitblackwater.com