CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 05-04-2013, 04:16 PM   #1
Chris Gilstrap

Profile:
Regripping for Jerk

I've been having a lot of problems recently finding an efficient way to get more of my hand under the bar after standing up from the clean.

I'm not sure if I'm doing it all wrong, but trying to 'bounce' the bar at the top I'm really banging it on my clavicle. I've bruised myself up pretty good. Are there any helpful cues for doing this? or am I just going to have to learn it from trial and error? do I need to suck it up?

Thanks
Old 05-04-2013, 05:13 PM   #2
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:
Re: Regripping for Jerk

The bar needs to land on meat, not bone. Check your receiving position; if the bar doesn't have full contact all the way across the shoulders you're doing it wrong. No gaps!
Old 05-04-2013, 05:59 PM   #3
Chris Gilstrap

Profile:

I think I just need to practice. I don't seem to have any problems catching the bar from the clean it's readjusting the grip. I really want to let it slide down a little in order to get my hand under it. Maybe it's a hesitation to keep it close to my throat or a wrist mobility thing.

I'll keep practicing at some lighter weight.
Old 05-05-2013, 04:13 AM   #4
Jason Denny

Profile:

I used to have a similar problem. I found that my grip was too narrow and moving it out a bit helped. Also, if you are not getting your elbows around the bar and pointing forward fast enough the bar will rest on your clavicle and not your shoulder muscles.
Old 05-05-2013, 01:31 PM   #5
Brendan McNamar

Profile:

How high are your elbows?

Do you have shoulder mobility issues?

Hitting the clavicle is often a symptom of the inability to rotate the shoulder and elbows fast and high enough for a good receiving position.
Old 05-06-2013, 10:40 AM   #6
Chris Gilstrap

Profile:

Lincoln,

I saw a post you made recently about external shoulder rotation and had a look at the two links you posted. Just from an intuitive standpoint I think this could be my problem. When struggling to get more hand under the bar I really felt like my hands/shoulders were 'spring loaded.' Whenever I popped the bar up it felt as if they would spring out not allowing any change in my grip.

I'm not sure if that made any sense but after stretching them out I feel better if nothing else. I've got the clean and jerk tomorrow so I'll report back on any progress.

Thanks