CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Health and Medical Issues
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health and Medical Issues For other than injuries

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-24-2013, 09:16 AM   #1
Jeremy Schultz
Member Jeremy Schultz is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Colville  WA
Posts: 168
Dumb Question - Quad Ache while Driving?

I realize that this probably isn't a true medical problem, at least not yet. Mostly, I was just looking to see if anyone else had experienced this weird phenomena.

I have always had an issue with my right quadriceps (accelerator-pedal leg) aching when driving very long distances - aka the ol' road trip. I think it may have to do with lack of circulation, resulting in venous blood pooling (maybe). Once I stop driving, and get-out and walk around (i.e. contract my quads), it alleviates within minutes.

The question - in the year that I have been doing CFFB, this problem has gotten MUCH worse. I am at the point where a simple one-hour drive to the nearest big city leaves my quad in excruciating pain.

I am not really understanding why leg development, and the resulting bigger/stronger quads, would make a problem like this worse. Why would my leg hurt more? It makes no sense to me.

Anyone else ever experience this type of issue?
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 10:28 AM   #2
Mike McDaniel
Member Mike McDaniel is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: El Cajon  CA
Posts: 18
Re: Dumb Question - Quad Ache while Driving?

I have the EXACT same problem, but it's my left leg... and it doesn't happen all the time (I'm fine when I drive my car, but can't drive my wife's for more than 20 minutes without pain).

I started a heavier lifting program a few months ago and that's when the pain started. I've stopped the lifting and gone back to a more traditional crossfit workout plan, but I still have a lot of pain in the leg when I'm driving.

Once I get out of the car and move around, the pain stops, but it gets almost unbearable when I'm driving.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 08:36 AM   #3
John C Blattner
Member John C Blattner is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Ann Arbor  MI
Posts: 91
Re: Dumb Question - Quad Ache while Driving?

Dumb question, perhaps, but is it really your quads? I ask because for a long time I had discomfort in the hip flexors in my right leg - apparently because I was using them to hold my foot in position vis-a-vis the accelerator and brake. Once I figured it out and did some hip-flexor stretches it went away.

In any event I wonder if stretching and/or foam-rolling the affected area would help?
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 11:17 AM   #4
Jeremy Schultz
Member Jeremy Schultz is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Colville  WA
Posts: 168
Re: Dumb Question - Quad Ache while Driving?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike McDaniel View Post
I have the EXACT same problem, but it's my left leg... and it doesn't happen all the time (I'm fine when I drive my car, but can't drive my wife's for more than 20 minutes without pain).

I started a heavier lifting program a few months ago and that's when the pain started. I've stopped the lifting and gone back to a more traditional crossfit workout plan, but I still have a lot of pain in the leg when I'm driving.

Once I get out of the car and move around, the pain stops, but it gets almost unbearable when I'm driving.
Quote:
Originally Posted by John C Blattner View Post
Dumb question, perhaps, but is it really your quads? I ask because for a long time I had discomfort in the hip flexors in my right leg - apparently because I was using them to hold my foot in position vis-a-vis the accelerator and brake. Once I figured it out and did some hip-flexor stretches it went away.

In any event I wonder if stretching and/or foam-rolling the affected area would help?
Thanks for the input, guys. Good to know that others have somewhat similar issues.

John, I think my problem is similar in that when I put my truck on cruise-control and do some sort of "quad contractions" it helps the pain, but for me at least, it definitely is my quads that are the source of the pain.

I'm thinking about buying some Skins compression pants to wear under my jeans when on long road trips (in an effort to approximate the compression socks that old people wear for poor circulation), but I'm not sure if it will help.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 09:16 AM   #5
Mark E. Wallace
Member Mark E. Wallace is offline
 
Mark E. Wallace's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Cedar Park  TX
Posts: 3,869
Re: Dumb Question - Quad Ache while Driving?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Schultz View Post
I'm thinking about buying some Skins compression pants to wear under my jeans when on long road trips (in an effort to approximate the compression socks that old people wear for poor circulation), but I'm not sure if it will help.
I'm no doctor, so I can't tell you what's going on, but I will say that I think the Skins idea is really just a Band-Aid, not a fix. Have the issue dealt with. You could be dealing with something more serious than you suspect.

- Mark
__________________
"Ima champ Still pushin Strong, Remember You only get what you train FOR>"
Snarky answers -- Free of charge.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 05:09 PM   #6
Andrew G. Greenberg
Member Andrew G. Greenberg is offline
 
Andrew G. Greenberg's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Charlotte  NC
Posts: 623
Re: Dumb Question - Quad Ache while Driving?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Schultz View Post
I realize that this probably isn't a true medical problem, at least not yet. Mostly, I was just looking to see if anyone else had experienced this weird phenomena.

I have always had an issue with my right quadriceps (accelerator-pedal leg) aching when driving very long distances - aka the ol' road trip. I think it may have to do with lack of circulation, resulting in venous blood pooling (maybe). Once I stop driving, and get-out and walk around (i.e. contract my quads), it alleviates within minutes.

The question - in the year that I have been doing CFFB, this problem has gotten MUCH worse. I am at the point where a simple one-hour drive to the nearest big city leaves my quad in excruciating pain.

I am not really understanding why leg development, and the resulting bigger/stronger quads, would make a problem like this worse. Why would my leg hurt more? It makes no sense to me.

Anyone else ever experience this type of issue?
Almost certainly repeated motions of hip flexion while driving are causing hip flexors to go into painful spasm. Probably not a venous issue unless you already have a history of venous disease, but can't hurt to mention it to your GP during your next physical. Quick fix would be stretching of hip flexors, use cruise control, etc. Source: PT student.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 09:39 PM   #7
Jeremy Schultz
Member Jeremy Schultz is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Colville  WA
Posts: 168
Re: Dumb Question - Quad Ache while Driving?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew G. Greenberg View Post
Almost certainly repeated motions of hip flexion while driving are causing hip flexors to go into painful spasm. Probably not a venous issue unless you already have a history of venous disease, but can't hurt to mention it to your GP during your next physical. Quick fix would be stretching of hip flexors, use cruise control, etc. Source: PT student.
Andrew, thanks so much for the comment. I had always assumed that it was my quad, but your explanation makes sense, now that I think about it. It would also make sense why it would be getting worse with fitness, if those muscles are more developed and therefore possibly are able to contract harder or for longer periods of time.

John mentioned that earlier in this thread and I kind of blew it off, but I think he may have been right as well.

The only thing that doesn't make sense is that if I "hover" my leg over the gas pedal (rather than setting my heel on the floorboard), it seems to alleviate the pain slightly - which is why I had assumed that quad contraction was helping. Maybe just the change in contraction of the hip flexor results in temporary relief?

Thanks again.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 05:06 AM   #8
Andrew G. Greenberg
Member Andrew G. Greenberg is offline
 
Andrew G. Greenberg's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Charlotte  NC
Posts: 623
Re: Dumb Question - Quad Ache while Driving?

[quote=Jeremy Schultz;1212585]Andrew, thanks so much for the comment. I had always assumed that it was my quad, but your explanation makes sense, now that I think about it. It would also make sense why it would be getting worse with fitness, if those muscles are more developed and therefore possibly are able to contract harder or for longer periods of time.

John mentioned that earlier in this thread and I kind of blew it off, but I think he may have been right as well.

The only thing that doesn't make sense is that if I "hover" my leg over the gas pedal (rather than setting my heel on the floorboard), it seems to alleviate the pain slightly - which is why I had assumed that quad contraction was helping. Maybe just the change in contraction of the hip flexor results in temporary relief?

Thanks again


Not sure about that one, but if you stretch it and it calms down that would support this hypothesis.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 06:26 PM   #9
Keith Miller
Member Keith Miller is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Lewisville  TX
Posts: 691
Re: Dumb Question - Quad Ache while Driving?

I don't know how serious this is, but I've had this exact same issue for the last several years. Pretty much as long as I've been consistently lifting, primarily squatting and doing the Oly lifts. For what it's worth, I've done the foam rolling and not seen very much improvement. Luckily, during longer road trips, I have to pee often, so I just do some quick quad stretches before getting back in the car. Also, I try to not squat much volume before starting the trip, either there or back. High intensity doesn't seem to do anything, but higher volume squats will definitely make it worse.

I would be in for whatever people come up with to figure out what's going on.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 06:38 PM   #10
Mark E. Wallace
Member Mark E. Wallace is offline
 
Mark E. Wallace's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Cedar Park  TX
Posts: 3,869
Re: Dumb Question - Quad Ache while Driving?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Miller View Post
I would be in for whatever people come up with to figure out what's going on.
Such as -- oh, I dunno -- seeing a doctor?.....

- Mark
__________________
"Ima champ Still pushin Strong, Remember You only get what you train FOR>"
Snarky answers -- Free of charge.
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ring Question Driving Me Crazy Gordon Mckendry Exercises 13 05-18-2009 06:15 PM
dumb question Josh Steed Starting 1 01-12-2009 05:48 PM
Probably a dumb question, but... Bruce Peterson Starting 2 10-28-2007 08:33 AM
Might be a dumb question but..... David Stegman Nutrition 13 03-02-2007 01:26 PM
Probably a very dumb question... Kris Crowley Starting 9 07-13-2005 04:54 AM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:04 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
CrossFit is a registered trademark of CrossFit Inc.