CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Health and Medical Issues
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health and Medical Issues For other than injuries

Old 12-24-2013, 09:16 AM   #1
Jeremy Schultz

Profile:
Dumb Question - Quad Ache while Driving?

I realize that this probably isn't a true medical problem, at least not yet. Mostly, I was just looking to see if anyone else had experienced this weird phenomena.

I have always had an issue with my right quadriceps (accelerator-pedal leg) aching when driving very long distances - aka the ol' road trip. I think it may have to do with lack of circulation, resulting in venous blood pooling (maybe). Once I stop driving, and get-out and walk around (i.e. contract my quads), it alleviates within minutes.

The question - in the year that I have been doing CFFB, this problem has gotten MUCH worse. I am at the point where a simple one-hour drive to the nearest big city leaves my quad in excruciating pain.

I am not really understanding why leg development, and the resulting bigger/stronger quads, would make a problem like this worse. Why would my leg hurt more? It makes no sense to me.

Anyone else ever experience this type of issue?
Old 12-29-2013, 10:28 AM   #2
Mike McDaniel

Profile:
Re: Dumb Question - Quad Ache while Driving?

I have the EXACT same problem, but it's my left leg... and it doesn't happen all the time (I'm fine when I drive my car, but can't drive my wife's for more than 20 minutes without pain).

I started a heavier lifting program a few months ago and that's when the pain started. I've stopped the lifting and gone back to a more traditional crossfit workout plan, but I still have a lot of pain in the leg when I'm driving.

Once I get out of the car and move around, the pain stops, but it gets almost unbearable when I'm driving.
Old 12-30-2013, 08:36 AM   #3
John C Blattner

Profile:

Dumb question, perhaps, but is it really your quads? I ask because for a long time I had discomfort in the hip flexors in my right leg - apparently because I was using them to hold my foot in position vis-a-vis the accelerator and brake. Once I figured it out and did some hip-flexor stretches it went away.

In any event I wonder if stretching and/or foam-rolling the affected area would help?
Old 12-31-2013, 11:17 AM   #4
Jeremy Schultz

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike McDaniel View Post
I have the EXACT same problem, but it's my left leg... and it doesn't happen all the time (I'm fine when I drive my car, but can't drive my wife's for more than 20 minutes without pain).

I started a heavier lifting program a few months ago and that's when the pain started. I've stopped the lifting and gone back to a more traditional crossfit workout plan, but I still have a lot of pain in the leg when I'm driving.

Once I get out of the car and move around, the pain stops, but it gets almost unbearable when I'm driving.
Quote:
Originally Posted by John C Blattner View Post
Dumb question, perhaps, but is it really your quads? I ask because for a long time I had discomfort in the hip flexors in my right leg - apparently because I was using them to hold my foot in position vis-a-vis the accelerator and brake. Once I figured it out and did some hip-flexor stretches it went away.

In any event I wonder if stretching and/or foam-rolling the affected area would help?
Thanks for the input, guys. Good to know that others have somewhat similar issues.

John, I think my problem is similar in that when I put my truck on cruise-control and do some sort of "quad contractions" it helps the pain, but for me at least, it definitely is my quads that are the source of the pain.

I'm thinking about buying some Skins compression pants to wear under my jeans when on long road trips (in an effort to approximate the compression socks that old people wear for poor circulation), but I'm not sure if it will help.
Old 01-01-2014, 09:16 AM   #5
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Schultz View Post
I'm thinking about buying some Skins compression pants to wear under my jeans when on long road trips (in an effort to approximate the compression socks that old people wear for poor circulation), but I'm not sure if it will help.
I'm no doctor, so I can't tell you what's going on, but I will say that I think the Skins idea is really just a Band-Aid, not a fix. Have the issue dealt with. You could be dealing with something more serious than you suspect.

- Mark
Old 01-01-2014, 05:09 PM   #6
Andrew G. Greenberg

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Schultz View Post
I realize that this probably isn't a true medical problem, at least not yet. Mostly, I was just looking to see if anyone else had experienced this weird phenomena.

I have always had an issue with my right quadriceps (accelerator-pedal leg) aching when driving very long distances - aka the ol' road trip. I think it may have to do with lack of circulation, resulting in venous blood pooling (maybe). Once I stop driving, and get-out and walk around (i.e. contract my quads), it alleviates within minutes.

The question - in the year that I have been doing CFFB, this problem has gotten MUCH worse. I am at the point where a simple one-hour drive to the nearest big city leaves my quad in excruciating pain.

I am not really understanding why leg development, and the resulting bigger/stronger quads, would make a problem like this worse. Why would my leg hurt more? It makes no sense to me.

Anyone else ever experience this type of issue?
Almost certainly repeated motions of hip flexion while driving are causing hip flexors to go into painful spasm. Probably not a venous issue unless you already have a history of venous disease, but can't hurt to mention it to your GP during your next physical. Quick fix would be stretching of hip flexors, use cruise control, etc. Source: PT student.
Old 01-01-2014, 09:39 PM   #7
Jeremy Schultz

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew G. Greenberg View Post
Almost certainly repeated motions of hip flexion while driving are causing hip flexors to go into painful spasm. Probably not a venous issue unless you already have a history of venous disease, but can't hurt to mention it to your GP during your next physical. Quick fix would be stretching of hip flexors, use cruise control, etc. Source: PT student.
Andrew, thanks so much for the comment. I had always assumed that it was my quad, but your explanation makes sense, now that I think about it. It would also make sense why it would be getting worse with fitness, if those muscles are more developed and therefore possibly are able to contract harder or for longer periods of time.

John mentioned that earlier in this thread and I kind of blew it off, but I think he may have been right as well.

The only thing that doesn't make sense is that if I "hover" my leg over the gas pedal (rather than setting my heel on the floorboard), it seems to alleviate the pain slightly - which is why I had assumed that quad contraction was helping. Maybe just the change in contraction of the hip flexor results in temporary relief?

Thanks again.
Old 01-02-2014, 05:06 AM   #8
Andrew G. Greenberg

Profile:

[quote=Jeremy Schultz;1212585]Andrew, thanks so much for the comment. I had always assumed that it was my quad, but your explanation makes sense, now that I think about it. It would also make sense why it would be getting worse with fitness, if those muscles are more developed and therefore possibly are able to contract harder or for longer periods of time.

John mentioned that earlier in this thread and I kind of blew it off, but I think he may have been right as well.

The only thing that doesn't make sense is that if I "hover" my leg over the gas pedal (rather than setting my heel on the floorboard), it seems to alleviate the pain slightly - which is why I had assumed that quad contraction was helping. Maybe just the change in contraction of the hip flexor results in temporary relief?

Thanks again

Not sure about that one, but if you stretch it and it calms down that would support this hypothesis.
Old 01-02-2014, 06:26 PM   #9
Keith Miller

Profile:

I don't know how serious this is, but I've had this exact same issue for the last several years. Pretty much as long as I've been consistently lifting, primarily squatting and doing the Oly lifts. For what it's worth, I've done the foam rolling and not seen very much improvement. Luckily, during longer road trips, I have to pee often, so I just do some quick quad stretches before getting back in the car. Also, I try to not squat much volume before starting the trip, either there or back. High intensity doesn't seem to do anything, but higher volume squats will definitely make it worse.

I would be in for whatever people come up with to figure out what's going on.
Old 01-02-2014, 06:38 PM   #10
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Miller View Post
I would be in for whatever people come up with to figure out what's going on.
Such as -- oh, I dunno -- seeing a doctor?.....

- Mark